What's new

Softopper/Bestop Supertop Canopy/toppers

TrikeKid

Junk Hoarder
Member Number
Loc
Spana-graham, WA
Anyone run one of these soft topper/canopy deals for an extended period of time? Thinking about one for my dd F150, I'd love a covered bed a lot of the time but I fucking hate having to pull a fiberglass canopy off every time I want to haul a dirt bike or anything else taller than the cab. Rarely have anyone around to help lift one, don't really have a good spot to put it while it's off the truck. The truck had a really nice Century on it when I bought it but I pulled it off once and it just never got put back on the truck. Ended up selling it after it sat in the back yard for months.

Not concerned with security, just would be nice to keep shit out of the rain but still be able to have an open bed without having to fuck around with pulling a canopy off and storing it.

Owned one softopper and had no issues. Much preferred can-back (owned 3), fit and finish... but those were 1st gen 4runners vs Tacoma models.

Ran a softopper on a 1st generation 4runner. Its lived outside. Didn't have any issues with it and only had to replace a couple snaps after a roll. Same top is now bobbed on a 4runner.

Have a softopper on my truck right now. Cost last year at about this time was around $875. It’s been on continuously for a little over 3 months. I will take it off when I need to use the bed to haul my 4 wheeler again.

It handles driving at 80-85 mph well. No wind noise and doesn’t let rain it. Have had zero issues in the year I’ve owned it.

Have a softopper on my f350, bought it at the end of '18, it doesn't stay on the truck full time but when it's on, it's pretty good, what's under it stays dry, and it's quick enough to put on or off that I can do it during a lunch break typically. I have no experience with other brands. It is harder to put on when it's cold.

I have had a couple minor issues: I cracked the back window flipping it up onto the roof in subzero weather. The velcro that holds it to the tailgate has peeled off the plastic (I opted not to stick it to the painted area). I'd consider both of those my fault.

Have a softopper on my f350, bought it at the end of '18, it doesn't stay on the truck full time but when it's on, it's pretty good, what's under it stays dry, and it's quick enough to put on or off that I can do it during a lunch break typically. I have no experience with other brands. It is harder to put on when it's cold.

I have had a couple minor issues: I cracked the back window flipping it up onto the roof in subzero weather. The velcro that holds it to the tailgate has peeled off the plastic (I opted not to stick it to the painted area). I'd consider both of those my fault.

I didn’t put the Velcro on my tailgate. Just tuck the flap under the crossbar when buckling it in.

necro alert..

Anyone have any long term experience with these Bestop Softoppers for truck beds? kicking around the idea of picking up a used one on CL for my DCSB Tacoma. I had a color matched shell for it a few years ago but took it on and off a few times when I needed an open bed and got tired of wrestling that fucker myself to R&R it.

How well do these soft toppers seal up and keep rain out when travelling? Obviously not as secure as a hard shell but I don't want to store a hard shell either.

Along the same lines, how easy are they to take on and off? I would only use one 3-4 times a year so when it's not being used I'd want to take the rails and everything off. Is that a total pain?

Yup, I’ve had mine since early 2020. It gets used several times a year. I generally keep it on for 3-4 months during our winter. It does a good job of keeping things out of the weather and dry.

They’re very easy to take on and off after the initial setup. I can put it on or take it off in less than 10 mins by myself. Mine has two clamps per side that hold the rails on. I zip those on and off with my impact. The top just folds up and has a bag it fits in.

Owned one softopper and had no issues. Much preferred can-back (owned 3), fit and finish... but those were 1st gen 4runners vs Tacoma models.
Can Back by far the best topper ever made. Really a shame there gone. Super rugged, way over built. None of that aluminum fold down nonsense. Have one in mint shape that goes on my F350
Attachment.jpg

Can Back by far the best topper ever made. Really a shame there gone. Super rugged, way over built. None of that aluminum fold down nonsense. Have one in mint shape that goes on my F350
Attachment.jpg
Since they're gone, can you post detailed pics of the frame and canvas for posterity.

Hopefully someone will use the pics to copy the awesome.

Top Back Refresh