Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Latest posts

Latest photos

Group events

New Mexico

Socorro Run Anyone?

Damn. After typing that out I'm disappointed AF now. Maybe I can make it work... Not spreading ashes until Sunday in Cloudcroft....

Figure out a way to get to mountainair via dirt. I've Google earthed the hell out of it. There's a ton of through roads but haven't been able to get down there to see what's gated and such.
That sounds dope as hell. I've done some 'splorin on bikes to the south, and there are tons of gates and such that direction. Not a good comparison obviously, but that sounds like a hell of a lot of fun someday
Coyote Canyon (not Coyote Hills which most people misnomer as Canyon) is doable in a stock rig, or at least was last time I was down there.
Yeah I could do coyote canyon fine. There are one or two optionals in that one he might be entertained by:laughing:
Lower Armado depending on how the rain flowed. Can always up and back that if it's washed out.
There's also go-arounds to the only two "hard" parts these days. EZ.
Just blanked the name of the one going to Squeeze. That has the big slab waterfall as the first obstacle? That's doable stock if you run it backwards. Go down the wash and up over the hill to the super steep downhill into squeeze. Make a left then loop it back to the wash. Great directions I know. :laughing:
Hidden valley. I'm actually fairly confident I could go up that with some patience and him spotting me. 35s and a 65:1 crawl ratio go a long way for a bone stock truck. Might drag rockers on the top of that slab fall though :flipoff2:

Hidden valley, yes, that's the one. Yeah should be doable the typical direction of travel but easy backwards in a stocker.

If we're talking dirt road pretty freaking easy exploring (like trying to link to mountainair) then we'll (maybe) come in the Touareg for the day then bail to cloud sat night. But I'm not hitting things like Coyote or Armado

I also wouldn't be opposed to giving Pucker a whirl, but the great escape with no lockers gets poopy real fast, especially with how much rain wash is probably on it.

Catching up on the new season. 😆👍

Unfortunately just got word that we will be spreading my grandfather's ashes that weekend so we're out. Y'all have fun.

Sorry we're going to to miss out on your presence, hopefully one of these days I'll get to meet the infamous Nate in the flesh.

Wheeelp, looks like this is gonna be interesting then. '84 Bronco II Unless you have some kind of interest in doing the Barite mine loop, anything my bronco can do won't be super interesting. I'm always up for a ride-along though. Long as it's worth it to you lol

I am perfectly happy running easy stuff if you're the only one who makes it out. I had never heard the name Barite before, but after some Googling, I am pretty sure I've run what you're thinking of.

Figure out a way to get to mountainair via dirt. I've Google earthed the hell out of it. There's a ton of through roads but haven't been able to get down there to see what's gated and such.

Coyote Canyon (not Coyote Hills which most people misnomer as Canyon) is doable in a stock rig, or at least was last time I was down there.

Lower Armado depending on how the rain flowed. Can always up and back that if it's washed out.

Just blanked the name of the one going to Squeeze. That has the big slab waterfall as the first obstacle? That's doable stock if you run it backwards. Go down the wash and up over the hill to the super steep downhill into squeeze. Make a left then loop it back to the wash. Great directions I know. :laughing:

I've done Hidden Valley (the one with the slab waterfall) with an XJ on on 31s (4:1 and locked front and rear) and a TJ Rubicon on 32s without any issue, but it might be a little interesting without one locker or limited slip. The same Cherokee did Coyote Canyon with me a couple of times no problem.

willis_racing your Bronco could do Arroyo de La Parida, Flagstone Road, and Lower/Upper Arroyo de Los Pinos no problem. Depending how hard you want to push it, I think Hidden Valley, Upper Amado, and Coyote Canyon are all doable.

I am happy to have you ride with me if you want. I am not sure if 90supra and his crew were interested in camping.

I also wouldn't be opposed to giving Pucker a whirl, but the great escape with no lockers gets poopy real fast, especially with how much rain wash is probably on it.

I think you'd be wishing you had lockers well before the Great Escape.

If we're talking dirt road pretty freaking easy exploring (like trying to link to mountainair) then we'll (maybe) come in the Touareg for the day then bail to cloud sat night. But I'm not hitting things like Coyote or Armado

Like I said, I am happy to run whatever the group that shows up is comfortable with. If willis_racing takes his own rig, we should at least have seats for you and the wife if you want to ride along on anything you aren't comfortable taking the Touareg over.

I will almost certainly be trailering, so take that into account. I've never camped out there, so I have no input. Looks like it's going to be a cold one:
Capture.PNG

I will almost certainly be trailering, so take that into account. I've never camped out there, so I have no input. Looks like it's going to be a cold one:
Capture.PNG
24 on friday? Oof.

Just load up your camp shit into the bronco and go from there. Where's your sense of adventure? :flipoff2:

I have no reason to believe that your f250 couldn't pull a trailer back over to that little nook I posted, but that's entirely dependent on how comfortable you are driving down the open riverbed over all the babyheads and other bullshit.

I'm out. Survived Moab but had some issues pop up along with most of the people I wheel with either having issues or going down for maintenance. Probably be out for most of winter working on a 60 swap.

I'm out. Survived Moab but had some issues pop up along with most of the people I wheel with either having issues or going down for maintenance. Probably be out for most of winter working on a 60 swap.

Sucks to hear that, did you actually break the Dana 44, or is the 60 swap a preemptive measure?

willis_racing sounds like it's just the two of us at this point. Do you still want to do Socorro, or do you want to maybe do something closer?

Sucks to hear that, did you actually break the Dana 44, or is the 60 swap a preemptive measure?

willis_racing sounds like it's just the two of us at this point. Do you still want to do Socorro, or do you want to maybe do something closer?
I still like the idea of hanging around socorro because I go to the puerco a lot, but fuel isn't free so if you want to just have a little bonfire friday then dink around out thataway that'd be fine. Maybe to a full roll down to Laguna for lunch? that'd shake it up a tad

willis_racing how set are you on camping? Every time I check the weather forecast, it keeps getting colder Friday night :laughing:

Currently down to 19°F
Capture.PNG

willis_racing how set are you on camping? Every time I check the weather forecast, it keeps getting colder Friday night :laughing:

Currently down to 19°F
Capture.PNG
Jesus. I just wanted an excuse to hang out and drink for awhile:laughing:
That's getting pretty retarded cold though. If you're not into it I'll just drive down and sleep at my buddies' place, and meet up with you in the morning. or hell i'd ride with you the whole ass trip and split fuel too, none of it really matters in the grand scheme

Jesus. I just wanted an excuse to hang out and drink for awhile:laughing:
That's getting pretty retarded cold though. If you're not into it I'll just drive down and sleep at my buddies' place, and meet up with you in the morning. or hell i'd ride with you the whole ass trip and split fuel too, none of it really matters in the grand scheme

You could still come by my place and drink beers Friday night or vice-versa :laughing:

It would be nice to have another rig in case something stupid happens, but if we are mostly just doing some exploring I don't mind riding together. Up to you.

It started out cold this morning but ended up being a nice day. willis_racing rode with me and we mostly ended up hiking some of the recently cut trails as well as some older ones neither of us had done before. We ran into a group of three Toyota guys who were getting off the trail at the same time as us who were having a rough day and rolled a rig in Hidden Valley :laughing:

Nothing too exciting, but figure I might as well post the few pictures I took.

Parked at the junction of Granite Canyon and Upper Amado.
1601DB17-34F1-4AE4-B5CF-78FD58DFB6D9.jpeg

The exit of Jim's Jynx with the tow rigs in the distance.
C4990AAB-2204-40BF-B8F0-71A3711E1223.jpeg

Next to the entrance of Jim's Jynx overlooking Ojo de Amado.
7AEADE26-9D71-4DED-A8C6-D8FBC9C1FA71.jpeg

The less dead/frozen of a couple of Tarantulas we encountered on Secret Canyon
E6FE4BFB-967B-4E1B-A3D0-46EECBC67532.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh