What's new

Socket and Wrench Sets

https://www.tekton.com/6-point-sock...m_medium=email&utm_campaign=socket-set-bundle

The ratchet is nice sockets feel solid.. I have the1:/4” and the 3/8 set and like them. Hope to get the 1/2” set soon. The case seems to hold the sockets in place very well, but the bottom try is loose so if you open it upside own you are screwed.
I also got one of their socket rails... as I generally like those better but the case is proving to be handy.

Really happy with impact sockets from Sunex. I waited and watched for a sale and CPO ran a deal buy the 43 piece inch set get the metric set free. They were having some other sale and free shipping that all stacked up and got both sets for $165. Not sad at all about getting duplicate impact extensions. Can’t really beat it for that price.

The plastic cases are shit. Snaps break if you look at them wrong. I didn’t care about that as long as the sockets are decent and so far they are.

20+ years as a tech and owning my own shop, my Sunex sockets have held up better than Snapon. Old SK stuff is great too.

I’m happy with the metric sets I bought from Tekton. Nothing has broken yet and they’re laser etched and easy to read. I bought 1/4”, 3/8” and 1/2”.

1/2" drive and up, just get impact sockets. I like separate cased sockets sets because it kinda sucks to have to drag out some monster set when you only need a certain size range.

Husky (Home Depot) has real nice ratchets for the money, they feel like they might just be rebranded Gear Wrench.

The Icon line from Harbor Freight, is top notch stuff, not sure on thier warranty, but says lifetime. You take thier ratchets apart and lube them with what snap on uses, and just as good or better feel. For a quarter the cost.

ED78AD1E-BA54-4016-B792-936D6C542821.jpeg

impact sockets from HF, just fine. I even use them in the press occasionally as spacers for lighter duty pressing stuff.

Another vote for tekton. I ordered all 3 sizes of flex head 90 tooth ratchets. And for the money I dont think you can beat them. The other nice thing is the warranty. Just email them a pic of broken tool and they ship you out a new one. I also like that on the website they will tell you where everything is made. No hiding anything and if you order straight from the website they give you 10% of your order in store credit.

I just recently did the same thing got pissed off at not being able to find the tool I needed immediately walked inside and spent a grand on new gear wrench non ratcheting wrenches new pliers knives and gear wrench new screwdrivers tap and die set punch and chisel set and some more stuff I couldn’t find. Got the husky sockets they are nice but there sets do skip some sizes didn’t notice till I needed the particular size. Also bought the big 72” harbor freight tool box to replace the tiny one I had that was a mess. Big help for organizing was the wrench and screwdriver organizer from https://toolboxwidget.com/ best thing I have done for my tools yet. will be ordering socket organizers when they start shipping.

I bought this a few years ago and have had no issues with the tools. I've used them through automotive machining to when I worked at a dealership and still no issues. I've broken my cornhole ratchet four times and used the husky ratchet instead and have had no trouble from it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Me...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
Big help for organizing was the wrench and screwdriver organizer from https://toolboxwidget.com/ best thing I have done for my tools yet. will be ordering socket organizers when they start shipping.

Those look expensive. At least more a little expensive than the scrap twists of romex I wrapped around a broom handle :flipoff2:.

DDCFE20-B-023-B-48-A2-8-E67-02-DB22139510.jpg

So I love my sunex 1/2 impact master sets...great cases and selection. Chrome sockets...tekton is so nice. I have a small 3/8 sets i love. Wrenches.....gearwrench if you dont mind import, or Wright if you want USA..

What is the thought on 6 vs 12 point?
When was the last time you had to remove a 12pt nut from a stud that was too long to use a shallow socket? Exactly.

12pt is for 12pt screws and perfectly clean and rust free indoor shop shit where you can probably use a box wrench anyway.

What is the thought on 6 vs 12 point?

Amazingly I don’t have any deep well 1/2” metric and I’m looking at this Milwaukee set. The markings look easy to see. Anybody use this, do markings last? This is for weekend warrior mechanic usage.

Milwaukee 29 Pc. Shockwave Impact Duty 1/2" Drive Metric Deep 6 Point Socket Set 49-66-7015
Personal preference for me is to have both as I've been in positions where you need to use a breaker bar due to clearance issues with a ratchet and having the option of clocking the socket 30deg is nice. You can't usually get the cheapest of the chicom in 12pt due to the thinner walls they typically have, though they do exist. I will say that if you just want one set get 6pt. You can always buy a cheap 12pt. from the hardware store piece by piece if you find you need one.

Sockets: Tekton and Sunex

As for wrenches I love my Mac precision torque (Facom rebrand) and my Tekton angle wrenches.
And Mac's RBRT Hex line is great!

The engine bay in some vehicles has a direct connection to the quantum realm and that is where all my f'ing sockets seem to end up. Tink tink tink gone.

Some times sockets do return though as I found someone else's 8mm deep 1/4" socket in the engine crossmember of my GTI when I pulled the engine :laughing:

Top Back Refresh