What's new

So who tows with a Raptor?

welndmn

Well Done Man
Member Number
Loc
Concord, CA
I know.. one mention of the word towing on the Raptor forums sends people into a rage spiral but then again most of those people just want the dealer to do everything too.

Looking at 2019+ sure, they say 8k in towing, I'm about that 3-4 times a year when I have to tow my 4K bronco on a 2K trailer.
How bad is it? Do you add more trans cooler? (Dumb question as everything always needs more transcooler).
Air bags?
Timbrens?
Sumo springs?
I know these things tend to sack out in the back pretty bad.

I've currently got my 2005 Dodge cummins for tow duty, but it's time to move on, I loved that truck (Bought used at 4k miles, 220k now) but the old man in me wants something new and my midlife crisis says it's a Raptor.

For every thing else, fuck yeah, I want another sometimes.

Modified any and towing, I turned around at the first exit when testing. Yes, this had Deavers and 37s, but there was nothing stable or comfortable about it.

IMG_1421.jpeg

Fairly surprised to see this being a legitimate problem. Obviously they have a softer, longer travel suspension, but I would have assumed airbags would make it tow nearly as well as any F-150 so long as it has trailer brakes to prevent nose diving.

Fairly surprised to see this being a legitimate problem. Obviously they have a softer, longer travel suspension, but I would have assumed airbags would make it tow nearly as well as any F-150 so long as it has trailer brakes to prevent nose diving.
The issue is no one really makes an air bag kit that fits the 2nd gen Raptor because it would limit travel a little bit.
I saw one guy kinda made his own kit, I think that might be what I end up doing.
The other option being just removing a timbren when you want to go off road.

You can get long travel bags, just not in a kit. I run airlift D2600 bags on my Superduty. or use daystar cradles.

Other option is a weight distributing hitch. then no fuckery with suspension.

The issue is no one really makes an air bag kit that fits the 2nd gen Raptor because it would limit travel a little bit.
I saw one guy kinda made his own kit, I think that might be what I end up doing.
The other option being just removing a timbren when you want to go off road.
The guy I got the raptor from had a second set of longer travel air bumps to swap in for towing. I declined since I had no intentions of using it since I had a dually already.

I towed my JKU on an open trailer (probably 1500lb more than your setup) from Santa Cruz to Fordyce, with a buddy's 2nd gen Raptor. Stock except for Method wheels, I think they were the stock BFG all terrains though.

It did just fine. Would do it again.

I typically tow with a 7.3L Powerstroke van on 37s, and I think it's fine, but we all know they're piss poor tow rigs, so my opinion may not be valid.

Here you go, both the Raptor and E350 to keep it sorta on track.

My typical towing passes through Silicon Valley and Sacramento, and we're limited to 55mph towing in CA, so I rarely break 65ph towing. For the annual Sand Hollow trip, my van will do 75mph comfortably from Vegas to Hurricane.

IMG_0008.jpeg
FE090258-C4D1-42BB-B931-EE663AAE69BD.jpeg

Last edited:
Other option is a weight distributing hitch. then no fuckery with suspension.

I did a weight distribution hitch on my lowered F150 cause i could not fit bag and again on my F350 cause it didnt want to run bags and have a stiffer ride for my daily. Ive been happy with it over doing bags

I put these on my 1st gen Tundra prerunner for towing and hauling because bags wouldnt handle the rear travel. 5 minutes a side to remove the spring parts. Or just loosen them up and leave them on when not towing.

I put these on my 1st gen Tundra prerunner for towing and hauling because bags wouldnt handle the rear travel. 5 minutes a side to remove the spring parts. Or just loosen them up and leave them on when not towing.

1st gen tundra prerunner? Had no idea Toyota made one…. Details?

Here you go, both the Raptor and E350 to keep it sorta on track.

My typical towing passes through Silicon Valley and Sacramento, and we're limited to 55mph towing in CA, so I rarely break 65ph towing. For the annual Sand Hollow trip, my van will do 75mph comfortably from Vegas to Hurricane.

IMG_0008.jpeg
FE090258-C4D1-42BB-B931-EE663AAE69BD.jpeg
How much for the van shipped to Tn? $3.50-ish?

Top Back Refresh