What's new

So I had a customer buy a laser for me.

ProjectTwin

Member Number
This dude came by while I was working on a parallel 6th for a mutual friend of ours.

A buddy had made some parts for me on his laser and I was showing them to the dude.

He checked out the metal fab work on the Audi and commented on how perfect it looks.

Then, while I was assembling this parallel 6th, he was talking about how nice the enclosure was.

"I need you to build the blow-through on my truck"

We talked about what his plans were and I kept working.

Then he says "Hey, how much is that laser you're looking at?"

Told him. Fucker pulled out his debit card. "Order it."

I'm over here like :eek:

Then he says "Three grand should get a blow-through, right?"

Well, today the laser was delivered. :smokin:

Going to use this on the Audi and put it to work on other projects as well.

Like some live laugh leave door mats. :laughing:

Damn - I want your problems :flipoff2:

Crazy thing is that the dude isn't worried about when he brings the truck.

"It may be two years before I'm ready to bring it to you." :eek:

Baffling.

He has said that I've got full reign on what goes in. Gonna be a rowdy mini truck. :laughing:

Ok, I'll be the one who asks.....what the hell is a "blow through"?

Cut the front wall of the bed and back wall of the cab. Sub enclosure goes in the bed and sound exits into the cab.

Cut the front wall of the bed and back wall of the cab. Sub enclosure goes in the bed and sound exits into the cab.

i feel like hes getting a deal. $3k on a custom job like that seems like it would go quickly. thats not even a full week of labor

Okay...that's what I was thinking it was. I remember mini truckers did that a lot back in the day. Just always heard it called a "walk through".

Cool stuff though. Post up some pics when you do it

edit.....nevermind. you're talking about stereo stuff. I r dum

As awesome as it sounds. I wonder if this guy is going to think you still owe him after the jobs over.

It's a weird deal to ask for a job to be done, then tell you want you're spending the money on. Not sure I would have went for it myself.

Hopefully all works out and guy just wants a nice blow job or whatever you said. :flipoff2:

Okay...that's what I was thinking it was. I remember mini truckers did that a lot back in the day. Just always heard it called a "walk through".

Cool stuff though. Post up some pics when you do it

Wouldn't walk through be more like a 1st gen 4runner? Cut the whole back of the cab out. He's saying to just make a box in the front of the bed for the speakers, but the box is open to the cab and sealed to the outside, or has a full bed cover.

Wouldn't walk through be more like a 1st gen 4runner? Cut the whole back of the cab out. He's saying to just make a box in the front of the bed for the speakers, but the box is open to the cab and sealed to the outside, or has a full bed cover.

Yeah, that's why I edited it. I was picturing like making an suv out of a truck. Didn't know it was about speakers until I re-read it

As awesome as it sounds. I wonder if this guy is going to think you still owe him after the jobs over.

It's a weird deal to ask for a job to be done, then tell you want you're spending the money on. Not sure I would have went for it myself.

Hopefully all works out and guy just wants a nice blow job or whatever you said. :flipoff2:

He was here today. We ran some test pieces on it.

He said he knows it's likely going to cost more to do what he wants. He also wants the raised floor in the bed done. Fucker actually asked "You still looking at that CNC plasma?"

Dude just wants the truck done right and knows how detailed I am about building things. I think he's just got plans to make sure I've got the tools on hand to do what he wants.

Yeah. Back in the day it was a camper top then the whole back wall of the cab and front wall of the bed removed.

Last edited:
When you say laser, you mean cnc laser cutting table?

I thought those were like $100k not 3 :laughing:

Yeah, a 80W CO2 laser. Great for car audio stuff where you're dealing with MDF and plastics.

You can get into stupid expensive fiber lasers for metal cutting.

wow looks good even on the 1080 vid cap, and you didn't pause on the pictures. Your video is good but if you ever do a still detail, do 3+ seconds of still as possible, the screenshot ability of moving YT videos is terrible even if the video looks perfect in motion. No I can't help it, I think I am the world's greatest video critic. :flipoff2:

Click image for larger version Name:	batdog.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.2 KB ID:	373089

That resolution is impressive on fiberboard. I mean that's really nice.

I did skip through sorry about your eCeleb career :grinpimp: but can it do different depths? Like a 3D relief?

For the Shapeoko?

Let me know how it works. I have the same machine and have been thinking about adding a laser because fucking laser!! :usa::usa:

This dude came by while I was working on a parallel 6th for a mutual friend of ours.

A buddy had made some parts for me on his laser and I was showing them to the dude.

He checked out the metal fab work on the Audi and commented on how perfect it looks.

Then, while I was assembling this parallel 6th, he was talking about how nice the enclosure was.

"I need you to build the blow-through on my truck"

We talked about what his plans were and I kept working.

Well, today the laser was delivered. :smokin:

Going to use this on the Audi and put it to work on other projects as well.

Like some live laugh leave door mats. :laughing:

So does it cut or just engrave?

It will cut thin stuff and engrave most things. I don’t see it cutting something as thick as a speaker enclosure at 80w.

I am sure the op knows to vent it outside, most of the stuff you cut makes toxic fumes.

Hope you gave that driver a $20 for lugging that thing up your driveway!

Laser is pretty sweet as well.

That’s more like a $50 job lol. :flipoff2: That’s quite a distance to go with a pallet jack. Especially if the driveway isn’t swept off.

Cant wait to see what you make with it!

Huh, didnt know those things are expensive... well nevery really thought about it. I think my wife has a lazer engraving machine or 2 in some giant pelican case things in the junk shed. Maybe ill dig them out this weekend and toss them up for sale here for cheap

wow looks good even on the 1080 vid cap, and you didn't pause on the pictures. Your video is good but if you ever do a still detail, do 3+ seconds of still as possible, the screenshot ability of moving YT videos is terrible even if the video looks perfect in motion. No I can't help it, I think I am the world's greatest video critic. :flipoff2:

That resolution is impressive on fiberboard. I mean that's really nice.

I did skip through sorry about your eCeleb career :grinpimp: but can it do different depths? Like a 3D relief?

That's a good suggestion. I never thought of it.

My daughter has been giving me shit that "You need to add some music to the videos". I did that this time and she actually got excited when she heard it. "You finally added music!"

Honestly I just don't put much effort into video editing. *shrug

I'm sure once I do a ramp test and find the proper focal distance (usually a little off from the included focusing block they provide) and align the mirrors it will get better. For now I'm going to leave it as is since I have an upgrade on the way for the mirrors.

For the Shapeoko?

Let me know how it works. I have the same machine and have been thinking about adding a laser because fucking laser!! :usa::usa:

I have a Shapeoko XXL. This isn't a laser attachment for the Shapeoko, if that's what you're asking.

Yes. It'll engrave almost anything, but it'll cut as well. This will primarily be used for cutting/engraving acrylic pieces for sub enclosures, make speaker grilles, license plate frames, keychains, coasters, door mats, anything I can put it to work and make money on.

It will cut thin stuff and engrave most things. I don’t see it cutting something as thick as a speaker enclosure at 80w.

I am sure the op knows to vent it outside, most of the stuff you cut makes toxic fumes.

I have an upgraded exhaust fan on the way. It's vented outside (through an open door for now) but I really need to figure out where it's going to live in the shop and come up with a more permanent solution. I really don't want to pop a hole through an exterior wall for a vent. May end up doing that, though.

Unfortunately I only had $30 cash on me.

That’s more like a $50 job lol. :flipoff2: That’s quite a distance to go with a pallet jack. Especially if the driveway isn’t swept off.

Cant wait to see what you make with it!

All he did was steer that pallet jack. I pushed. That's why I was tired when we got to the house and he wasn't.

Huh, didnt know those things are expensive... well nevery really thought about it. I think my wife has a lazer engraving machine or 2 in some giant pelican case things in the junk shed. Maybe ill dig them out this weekend and toss them up for sale here for cheap

They've gone up (as has everything) in recent months. They're another item where they're having issues keeping up with demand.

I might be interested depending on what it is. Been looking at several different options recently.

I might be interested depending on what it is. Been looking at several different options recently.

I think it mostly does smaller stuff but would also engrave on curved surfaces. She would use it to engrave on pint glasses and stufd.

A work buddy made a stack of these coasters as a retirement gtfo gift with one of those:smokin:

He has a mining claim in northern Arizona, digs, cuts, works the stone, lasers the design then pops them in the oven,. The oven brings out the colors.

OXHouCw.jpg

Top Back Refresh