What's new

So I finally got an AR, my AK Is better

Pat McRotch

UHURU 👌
Member Number
I got an 80 lower, milled it shot it. Shoots the same as my Daniel.

The AK I have, which I bought from some tweeker dude in HS, is SOOO much smoother than these rifles. Shoots a better group at 100, 200, 300... has better recoil, has never had a malfunction. Unlike these POS. Honestly, I don't see the hype with AR's.
Tell me I'm wrong.

Dig my AR, never shot an AK. Subd for relevant tech/opinion.

Depends on how much money you spend. Cheap gun is cheap

:stirthepot:

Well, I spent a total of an 1/8 of weed and a 12pk of PBR for the AK 20 years ago. :flipoff2:

The AR, too much money.

Give me reasons why my cheap vietnamese rifle out performs this $1200 gun

My first ever gun purchase was in 1983. I bought a Colt AR-15 from a gun shop in Berkeley (yes, that Berkeley). I kick myself to this day for selling it a few years later

After nine years in the Army I feel I know the AR15/M16 platform in my sleep. I have fired AKs, but if things come off the rails, I’m going to have a AR in my hands. The AK will be near by just in case ;)

wait, you want to know what an older and solidly built heavy rifle shoots better and smoother than a lightweight home built poorly fitted pile of aloominium?

what kind of bullshit question is this :confused:

yup

lots of variables to account for. and you paid 1200!? for what?

Last edited:
I have a buddy that wants a Daniel Defense so badly. I don't know why anyone would spend the money on those.

Neither platform impresses me. Maybe I've never fired a nice enough rifle of either, though. I had a Romanian AK74 that I sold. It was reliable, but not overly accurate. I've had various AR's as well. Meh.

All I own now are bolt actions.

Any rifle is more accurate than I am and the AK is better suited to the way I use and maintain every mechanical thing I own so the choice is obvious. :laughing:

I wont tell you are wrong because this is America.

I have shot both and I really cant find a good AK and the right price (why I dont own one). All these old guys talking about getting them in a crate with ammo for 1 dollar in the 80s or whenever before I was born.

The last AR I built with optics and sling for less than 500. I dont know if I messed up but this one is my go to rifle.

I have recently shot a 7.62 AR and its badass. I liked it enough I am planning a 7.62 AR pistol with a 80% lower that is suppressed.

I wont tell you are wrong because this is America.

I have shot both and I really cant find a good AK and the right price (why I dont own one). All these old guys talking about getting them in a crate with ammo for 1 dollar in the 80s or whenever before I was born.

The last AR I built with optics and sling for less than 500. I dont know if I messed up but this one is my go to rifle.

I have recently shot a 7.62 AR and its badass. I liked it enough I am planning a 7.62 AR pistol with a 80% lower that is suppressed.

I giggled......bought my first AR in '97 for $700 ( a fucking post-ban Olympic!!!)
Got my fist AK in '01 for $230 ( SAR-1)
AR mags were $20 for clapped out surplus, AK mags were $3 for new in wrap.

Now, the market has completely flipped...ARs are dime a dozen and dirt cheap, AKs are expensive and somewhat unobtanium. Its weird...
Have had 20+ of each over the years, love both for what they are. Shoot practical rifle matches regularly, I love taking an iron sight AK out and placing ahead of "tactical tommies" with every slap on accesory made.
For some reason, people cant seem to fathom that you can make 300 yd hits with a bone stock AK :homer: :laughing:

Never understood the AR vs AK, 9 vs 45, Glock vs 1911 ect. interwebz shit....take them out and enjoy them for what they are.

I’ve own several AR 15’s and 10’s. Only own one AR15 today I’ve never fired yet. The rest were all accurate and functioned fine but one AR10. The mfg stood behind it though and replaced it.

I had a m1a Socom (scout) but sold it. Very reliable but very poor grouping.

Never shot an AK commie gun so no input on that. My go to’s are my light and heavy SCARs

.......... I love taking an iron sight AK out and placing ahead of "tactical tommies" with every slap on accesory made.
For some reason, people cant seem to fathom that you can make 300 yd hits with a bone stock AK :homer: :laughing:

Never understood the AR vs AK, 9 vs 45, Glock vs 1911 ect. interwebz shit....take them out and enjoy them for what they are.

Agree with all of that. Wait... am I a tactical tommie? I have a scope, 45* irons and a sling..

If you like an AK keep it and never sell it. Or give me dibs on it first.
I know plenty of people that hunt with AK's and that is their go to rifle.
I just prefer being American and having my rifle made in USA.:flipoff2:

If the AK was a good rifle we'd all be speaking communist right now. :flipoff2:

The FAL is the only real choice. They don't call it the right hand of the free world for nothing. :grinpimp:

Well, I spent a total of an 1/8 of weed and a 12pk of PBR for the AK 20 years ago. :flipoff2:
The AR, too much money.

Pretty good deal! I can see why your cost analysis might be a bit skewed. :laughing:

Give me reasons why my cheap vietnamese rifle out performs this $1200 gun

Did the Vietnamese actually make AKs? I thought they were supplied with them from the Chinese and Russians during the conflict. Maybe post war by contract? If actually Vietnamese you may have a rare bird.

I like the AR for the fire controls and a safety that you can actually use. Easy to add optics and different accessories. It is the transformer toy for adults. $1200 would buy a lot of doodads.

I like the AK I have cause I can fold it and it stows nicely. The real safety is in how you handle it, cause good luck getting to that lever in a hurry. But the magazines are more bulky and heavier for the same capacity.

If I was defending a stationary location I would use a FAL as 7.62 x51 turns cover into concealment much better than either round. But there is no way I would want to carry it or enough ammo to be effective any distance.

All of them do the job of hitting a man sized target over open sights at the range I can see with my bare eyes.

I’ve built about 25 AR-15’s and never went over $700 for the build. I don’t know how you have $1200 into something that shoots poorly when I know of a whole bunch in the $465 range that shoot flawlessly. I’ve got one AR-10 to my credit that’s fawked.

The AK ammo is better than .223/5.56, no doubt. But when it comes to the rifle itself I like my AR’s. I can’t bring myself to pay $1500 dollars for an old AK that was $150 twenty years ago, when I can build brand new AR’s for under $500.

EDIT: I just went and looked at prices. Looks like all this lockdown and rioting/looting bull shit has nearly doubled the prices. It would cost $720 to build today what I was building for $465 last year. :homer::homer::homer:

Last edited:
I have a buddy that wants a Daniel Defense so badly. I don't know why anyone would spend the money on those.

Neither platform impresses me. Maybe I've never fired a nice enough rifle of either, though. I had a Romanian AK74 that I sold. It was reliable, but not overly accurate. I've had various AR's as well. Meh.

All I own now are bolt actions.

i have a KAC SR-15 Mod 1 with QDSS can that will make you see visions of Eugene Stoner smiling down from heaven. Yeah, its "expensive" but id rather have 10 guns i paid 2 grand a piece for than 40 guns i paid $500 for.

its like Ferris Bueller said " Lets be honest here, i love driving it, it is so choice. If you have the means, i highly recommend picking one up."

I have 3 AK's and 1 AR.

I assembled all of them.

I have put no less than 10k rounds through at least one of the AKs

Don't know that I've ever cleaned an AK. Never had a misfire, FTF, Jam or any other issue. They have been thrown around, laid in the sand, beaten behind the back seat of the truck.

AR started jamming after the first 500 or so.

I'll take one of my AK's any day of the week.

1a437be9d7e1246fc31c5da740a497a2.best-chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe-ever-no-chilling-1-e154914...jpg

I find its almost always the shooter and not the platform. The AK may fit you better therefore you more comfortable behind it so you shoot it better. The AR may not match up well so a loose fitting could cause accuracy issues. Could just be you’re a closet commie and so the AK is natural to you:stirthepot::flipoff2:

I am guessing since you milled the lower either there is not a good lockup somewhere or you upper is just somewhat off and needs to be tweaked.

A broken in machine is going to be smoother, everything has been polished out and rough spots worn down. Cycle the action on a quality and well cleaned and lubed 10,000 round AR and you will understand what smooth is.
You are comfortable with the ergonomics of the AK. An AR is still foreign to your body. Some people love the ergonomics of a small Ruger 10/22 over a AR because they have spent so many years carrying it trough the fields and fired countless bricks of rimfire through them.
You are comparing two very different rounds assuming you went 5.56. Going from an AK, the 300BLK is a similar but superior round. You have the options of going subsonic or supersonic. Subsonic 300BLK action is smooth and efficient compared to a 5.56 blast. If you built a 5.56 upper, get a 300BLK barrel and gas system and convert it. Everything else is compatible.

FAL was standard issue when I did basic training. Later replaced with South African version of Galil in R4 or R5 (folding Butt) variants
when the bush war was in full swing most of us that crossed the cut line and had a choice went with the AK. Available ammo if you were shot down was primary reason followed by “AK’s are ka**ir proof” meaning you could dig one out a buried arms cache shake the sand out the barrel and it would fire and keep firing. First world guns seem to need excessive maintenance and even then are suspect half the time. Plus the semi smooth barrel of the 5.56’s meant the AK had better stopping power in a battle in the bush (this was by design, 5.56 was more likely to cause savage bodily injury rather than a simple kill shot)

have always enjoyed shooting the AR but given a single choice my preference would be an AK.
Dragonov for longer than 200 or 300 yds. While an AK can be shot accurately with iron sights why not use the right tool for the job?

Top Back Refresh