What's new

SnowScout

Not to derail your thread. The scout is cool. But for those who don't know Marshal has since past away of cancer. I knew him and wheeled with him a couple of times. My buddy here in Co. was really good friends with him. I guess his wife finally got him to go to the Dr. and bam cancer. Past not long after. Good guy.
Sorry to hear that. :(

I met him when I needed the springs and couldn't find any - and someone directed me to him (was it the junkyard? The 4x4 shop? I forget now).

A year or two later when we were back in Moab, we cruised by his work and visited for a little bit again - the D-series Travelall Ambulance that was being used for Green River Excursions (Expeditions? Adventures?) was there getting serviced at the time.

PXL_20221117_024117761-me.jpg

Got some servicing done - I finally tore into my transmission crossmember again and removed some offending metal that would, on occasion, interfere with the Atlas - in deep snow when I would get intermittent traction, sometimes the whole drivetrain will wind up and release and sometimes the Atlas would hit part of the crossmember mount, and I think at other times it wants to hit the floor.

So I reworked the mount again and instead of just clearancing it some more like I did the last few times, I got serious about it and just changed it.

I also had the front 1310CV flange come loose on a run, and after tightening it on the trail, I removed the bolts and hit 'em with some Blue Loctite when I got home.

Audrey reminded me that I like to drive the Scout "just because" once or twice before a run - and while she reminded me of that, I reminded myself how much I prefer 4' of snow to 1/4"..

PXL_20221117_040758431-me.jpg

PXL_20221117_040837400-me.jpg

In early October we went up the Hogback via the powerline road - the Landcruiser had insufficient power on the first leg of the trip - it may have been accidentally automatically shifting into second, but the result was it ran out of umph and the Scout had to strap the Landcruiser the first leg.
PXL_20221008_165039643.MP-me.jpg

Then, 11/19, we went up to the Tizers and.. Scout leads the way.

PXL_20221119_185336378-me.jpg

PXL_20221119_192141313.MP-me.jpg

We got to the junction before noon, got a fire going, and waited for the Jeeps to catch up (the Jeep right behind me did fine, the third in line had some struggles)

Around 1pm we left to make the trip to the lakes, but there was a lot of deadfall - so much that we would saw some, and winch some, and drive over others as we attempted to converve chainsaw batteries.. but it was for naught.

PXL_20221120_000454895-me.jpg

Eventually I was ahead, with four dead batteries (so, no saw) and after I winched this tree down onto the ground, I couldn't drag it out of the way - after I double lined the 8274, it just started moving the Scout.

PXL_20221120_000445482-me.jpg

It was right at 5pm, the sun was going away, and I wasn't about to break out the bow-saw or the axe.

It took us 4 hours to clear the trail to this point, and less than an hour to backtrack - by the time we hit the junction at 6pm it was dark.

Yesterday was our annual Christmas Tree run. My oldest had a skate competition out of town, so Michelle went with Joleigh, and Audrey came with me to help pick out the tree.

PXL_20221203_173120032.MP-me.jpg

PXL_20221203_173208140-me.jpg

Scout lead the way again - this road is pretty easy, plowed usually, but for the last couple hundred yards. I wound up dragging one or two vehicles the last bit to our campfire spot.

PXL_20221203_173219126.MP-me.jpg

PXL_20221203_173507329-me.jpg

PXL_20221203_195121707-me.jpg

IMG_20221204_105725.jpg

Audrey wanted to do some shooting, so we stopped at the rifle range on the way home to dispose of 200 rounds before her hands got too cold.

PXL_20221203_225842897-me.jpg

PXL_20221203_233213166-me.jpg

Oh yeah, I almost forgot - I need to decide how I want to share the video, but while we were getitng the tree, we also brought along the sled.

Audrey made about three passes with the sled UNDER the Scout, from one end to the other, after I joked "You could probably take the sled and go right under the axles and clear just fine" - yes, she can and did.

Last edited:
So cool man, wish I could drive mine in the snow round here. To afraid of salt.

So cool man, wish I could drive mine in the snow round here. To afraid of salt.
I'm from western PA - I know the horrors.

They're starting to put some salts down around here, but usuall it's too cold for salt to work.

I also don't drive this one too regularly - sadly, it lives a life of comfort most of the time in the heated shop. That's partly because it's a bit drafty, partly because one beadlock leaks and needs air every time I want to drive it.. and perhaps partly because it's $5 each way to go to town. :D

I'm from western PA - I know the horrors.

They're starting to put some salts down around here, but usuall it's too cold for salt to work.

I also don't drive this one too regularly - sadly, it lives a life of comfort most of the time in the heated shop. That's partly because it's a bit drafty, partly because one beadlock leaks and needs air every time I want to drive it.. and perhaps partly because it's $5 each way to go to town. :D

I’m in western PA and love these Scouts, but they’re all gone here. :frown:

It's January, so it's SnowBash time.

As I mentioned in another thread, I've had some issues shifting / holding 2nd gear late in the day, so I put some header wrap on the exhaust under the T19 before this trip.

Jury is still out, but I had no issues holding 2nd gear after running the Scout most of 12 hours straight. It was fairly warm this time, so I did shut it off a couple of times, but it was still running nearly continously for 12 hours.

Last year I took my oldest, because my youngest had a cheer competition in Billings.

This year, the youngest got to go while the oldest went to a skate competition in Billings (and she took home a couple of first place finishes)

We left at 3, because she didn't want to miss school.

PXL_20230113_231152787.MP-me.jpg

She got up in time to get a picture at "The Cow" when we turned up toward Seeley Lake.

PXL_20230113_234741609-me.jpg

Got through Seeley before dark, but not a lot farther before the sun disappeared, and the critters came out. Had two brake checks, the latter the deer just stood in my lane staring at me, and we played a game of chicken - I kept thinking it would keep walking into the left lane, he kept thinking I was going to switch to that lane - he won, I swerved at the last moment when the brakes were not going to get it done and he hadn't jumped yet..

Fun times.

Among other things, I've ordered new headlights for the F350..

We hit the reception and registered, and passed tech, and passed our money to the Big Sky 4-Wheelers.

Audrey wanted Chik-fil-a for dinner, which was across town, so we raced over and back to get back before the door prize drawings - to discover we had waffle fries, ranch, and zero chicken.

In any case.. up and at 'em early on Saturday. We arrived at the Kila School around 7:40 to find almost no one there for the 8am departure - seems a partial group of Snow Kings left early, so when we left we had a small group of 6 - Bob in his TJ, three Gladiators, a Toyota, and one Scout. We later picked up a few more including some fellow club members from Helena and made a group of ~12 for a good part of the day.

PXL_20230114_164826075-me.jpg

PXL_20230114_165411777-me.jpg

The weather was above freezing, and the snow was less than last year, but still deep enough to be interesting.

To the right, you can see where I stepped off trail and sank to my thigh.
PXL_20230114_165418776-me.jpg

Audrey's going through a "pose" phase, but at least she dressed for the task at hand - long johns, Carhartt, the gaiters, and a United Four Wheel Drive Associations sweatshirt.

PXL_20230114_165424429.MP-me.jpg

Oh, and then she stole my beanie - which others later asked if it had been shot or put through a shredder, when it's just weld spatter..

PXL_20230114_172632725.MP-me.jpg

PXL_20230114_172638351-me.jpg

PXL_20230114_173354990-me.jpg

Found our friend Ryan in a pickle - he'd gone up and come back and managed to get stuck. There was a stack of Toyotas nearby, but he thought he needed some farm equipment to pull out his "cheap truck"

PXL_20230114_175223135.MP-me.jpg

Lunch at Truman Saddle - not the most flattering picture of Mike. :P

PXL_20230114_184015336-me.jpg

PXL_20230114_195326910-me.jpg

I believe this one is at the very top, near the turn off to the main road and Blacktail Ski Resort - end of the road, unless - as we did - you double back.

PXL_20230114_204032337-me.jpg

That was when Audrey informed me - and Mike - that she was riding with Mike on the way back. She put on her coat, borrowed some gloves from me, and climbed into the Early Bronco.

PXL_20230114_222036137.MP-me.jpg

Last year, my oldest jumped in with Mike - and then after I made a wrong turn, she and Mike went back to town and dinner and left me on the mountain (with another rig) - so, two years in a row, Mike's stealing my daughters.

We ran into a road block when we tried to turn around - there are a few spots on this mountain where there's only one real route to take, and it seems every year there are enough small groups running about that inevitably someone wants to go up and someone else wants to go down, and for some reason they all like to sit and stare at each other and complain about not moving, without jumping to action to get things moving.

...so I had some fun directing traffic. We had to winch a couple of rigs out of the way, snatched a few, moved some off to the side, and so forth - and still, when I went back to my rig to finish getting the handful of down-hill vehicles through to complete the pass, I found uphill traffic resuming their trek before we'd finished clearing the downhill jam.

Still, got it handled.

Got back to Truman and regrouped with Mike, and picked up my buddy Blair that rode shotgun last year.
PXL_20230114_222138289-me.jpg

Blair used to wheel Scouts, but that's been a while - he was relegated to driving a Ranger this trip.
PXL_20230114_230042821-me.jpg

Still, we found some fresh, unbroken snow and wheeled our way back down the mountain, searched for any strays that needed help, and even wound up at dinner before dinner was served, which is usually hit or miss for us.

aprsTrack.png

Did have some trail damage - while at lunch, Audrey was calling my attention to some rock rash, but what she really pointed out was the little air bubbles coming off the sidewall.

Hard to see without the video, but little tiny air bubbles weeping from a scratch.
PXL_20230114_235754832-me.jpg

I did buy the Road Hazard from 4WP, but I also see they no longer carry the 42-15-16s, so I'm not sure how that would go.

Meanwhile, several folks told me about Gluetreads, so I have some of that on the way.

It stayed up the rest of the day, it stayed up for the drive home the next day on the trailer, it hasn't gone flat yet - but it IS leaking from the sidewall.

Sunday morning, the hotel lot was a sheet of ice and I was glad I loaded the night before.

PXL_20230115_153058219-me.jpg

The Comanche had some trouble getting on his tilt-deck trailer, and wound up pulling cable. Fortunately, the roads were better than the parking lot.

A friend told me about a Scout on one of the roads south that I had never been on, so we took that way home - stopping in MIssoula for the mall - and I DID spot the Scout.

PXL_20230115_172110403-me.jpg

Not only that one, but a little while later I spotted a not-as-nice Scout II on one side of the road, and a Travelall on the other, so not a bad detour.

Attachments

• PXL_20230115_153058219-me.jpg
    PXL_20230115_153058219-me.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 11
looks like a great trip Tom. congrats on the maybe-fix on the tranny, suspect you use 2nd all the time in the snow and that was getting old fast

looks like a great trip Tom. congrats on the maybe-fix on the tranny, suspect you use 2nd all the time in the snow and that was getting old fast
2nd gear (52:1) is where it's at, and 3rd (29.5:1). Granny gets used once in a while, but it's usualy 2/3 and then when things are going well, it's 4th in low range (17.3)

The problem was, it's late in the day, the trail is icing over, and I want to compression brake down the mountain - and THAT is when it would start jumping out of 2nd gear.

I would wind up in 3rd and working the brakes, and generally going faster than I wanted to.

On that front, I'm thinking I might need to adjust the rear brake line pressure - after airing up and finishing the trip down the mountain in 2wd, when I'd tap the brakes on the ice the rear end wanted to step out - granted, ice, lots of weight transfer to the front, but I'd not get as nervous if I could keep it in my lane. :D

Got some GlueTread on order. Seems like a hot vulcanizing might be overkill for this little weep hole.

2nd gear (52:1) is where it's at, and 3rd (29.5:1). Granny gets used once in a while, but it's usualy 2/3 and then when things are going well, it's 4th in low range (17.3)

The problem was, it's late in the day, the trail is icing over, and I want to compression brake down the mountain - and THAT is when it would start jumping out of 2nd gear.

I would wind up in 3rd and working the brakes, and generally going faster than I wanted to.

On that front, I'm thinking I might need to adjust the rear brake line pressure - after airing up and finishing the trip down the mountain in 2wd, when I'd tap the brakes on the ice the rear end wanted to step out - granted, ice, lots of weight transfer to the front, but I'd not get as nervous if I could keep it in my lane. :D

Got some GlueTread on order. Seems like a hot vulcanizing might be overkill for this little weep hole.

Have you watched the Snail trail 4x4 glue tread video with Morrflate? Seems like pretty decent stuff as long as you follow instructions, grind the sidewall down with a flap disc etc.

Have you watched the Snail trail 4x4 glue tread video with Morrflate? Seems like pretty decent stuff as long as you follow instructions, grind the sidewall down with a flap disc etc.
I haven't watched the video yet - I've heard about it, and had a few friends mention the Gluetread to me at dinner on Saturday, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Now to find the video and see how awesome this stuff is supposed to be, while I wait for the delivery. :D

I like the wheels on your Scout. Traction off road?
They're actually GM stamped Hutchinson dual beadlocks, 16", and were on the special service border patrol Suburbans and their ilk.

Tire shop found the tire was cracking and delaminating at the mold seam.

PXL_20230126_005649026-me.jpg

Air entered in the "middle" of the tread (but on the inside) and then migrated diagonally between two belts to the cracks/scars in the sidewall.

They ground it out some and used some urethane stuff and ground that down and think I'll be OK.

PXL_20230202_055028411-me.jpg

Something remains leaking a little - dunno if it's the tire still or the beadlock until I soap it up.

I already had one corner that liked to bleed down between runs..

My tires are from 2016.

I did find out from Interco that they haven't discontinued these tires (SAM-87) but one of their distributors has stopped carrying a lot of "not my in-house brand" tires and incorrectly marking everything else as "discontinued" - that would be the same distibutor I bought these from with their "roadhazard warranty" - they haven't responded to an email yet..

But until Interco told me they were still making 'em (in a month or two), I was casting about with "WTF now" and looking at $2200 in new 17" beadlock wheels and THEN dropping $3500 on new tires.

I did pick up another set of beadlocks, just in case, but I was thinking of using them on another project (because I need more projects..)

PXL_20230129_024320564-me.jpg

Last edited:
It's been 2 years since I tore into the T-19. It was time to do it again.

Went for a little drive last weekend, smelled some burning oil, thought I'd look at what the cause was.

The T-19 adapter was leaking and more than a few drips - still not a flood, but concerning.

I went to check the nuts on the studs and found two that wouldn't tighten up.

Turns out, I broke two of the 3/8 Grade 8 studs.

So, out it came.. again.

PXL_20230812_214748388-me.jpg

PXL_20230813_212048486-me.jpg

PXL_20230813_212057192-me.jpg

I'd like to know why every transmission jack I own can't raise or lower enough to get the transmission UNDER the vehicle AND get it installed.

The T-19 barely cleared, but I had to move the lift to get the Atlas out. Annoying when you have a support stand under the engine to hold it in place - it doesn't move with the lift, so I had to go with a ratchet strap to a bar across the tunnel.

PXL_20230813_231110931-me.jpg

PXL_20230813_232738985-me.jpg

Found some crud in the oil after I drained most of it out.
PXL_20230813_201806528-me.jpg

And in what was left in the transmission
PXL_20230813_233013335-me.jpg

Bottom left, and mid-right studs were broken.

PXL_20230813_234307452-me.jpg

PXL_20230813_235327710-me.jpg

My on-hand drill bits were not getting the job done. $40 at the hardware store later..

PXL_20230815_012414283.MP-me.jpg

I bought some small metal sleeves to help keep the bits centered.
PXL_20230815_012433756-me.jpg

But none of those bits worked out. Not the Titanium claimed ones, not the Cobalt.

I went back with another $20..

PXL_20230816_011126739-me.jpg

Carbide tip!
PXL_20230816_011131025-me.jpg

That was enough to get a hole cut in it that I could use one of these
PXL_20230816_012210046-me.jpg

To back it out.

The one that was broken off flush, I took a 5/16 nut and welded it to the broken stud and was able to remove it that way. I stuggled to do something similar with the recessed stud.

I'm going to try some 3/8-NF to 3/8-NC Grade 8 studs this time just for fun. First I need to shorten it a little bit.

The two "good" 3/8 studs came out the usual way. I left the upper 7/16 studs.

PXL_20230816_013340397-me.jpg

I picked up two jam nuts this morning so I can either use a nut + jam, or two jams and some washers to get the right length on the bandsaw to shortne the studs up a little.

Then clean things some more and cut a new gasket - and re-seal the PTO cover that was weeping.

Start of a replacement gasket -
PXL_20230818_004853745-me.jpg

Had what seemed like a good amount of metal to remove from the transmission - might be because some of the studs were just clearing the rear gear.

PXL_20230818_023522587-me.jpg

I kept the two upper 7/16 studs, but replaced the other four 3/8 studs with 3/8-NC to NF studs, shortened them as needed, and then went with 3/8 serrated flange nuts this time - just like the Atlas uses.

One run in, it still seemed tight and didn't leak.

PXL_20230820_171747250-me.jpg

I can't say the same about the rest of the rig..

Pulled out on Friday 9/1 before Labor Day to McKelvey, one of our most difficult natural trails - and one that we rebuilt 5 FS bridges in 10 days, when the FS thought it would take 7-10 years - and yes, the one I broke the rear main leaf on this time last year.

PXL_20230901_131303412-me.jpg

The official ride was Sunday, but I found myself with a few buddies there a day early so.. we'll run it both days!

PXL_20230902_180750850-me.jpg

PXL_20230902_181359949-me.jpg

We did bridge maintenance while we wandered up the trail - that's a requirement with our work-share agreement with the FS. It amounted to shoveling/sweeping debris from the bridges.

On the way back down, I started hearing metal on metal sounds that I found disturbing.

At first, I wondered "dusty shocks?" and then saw the S shaped spring "damaged?" but both were normal (the front springs will sit S shaped against the air bumps when descending - then look flat and normal-ish when you're done)

Eventually I found the cause of the noise after I noticed the transmission and transfer case levers moving more than they should.

No, I didn't forget to tighten the crossmember or transmission mounting bolts.

I broke an RPT engine mount.

On the compression braking side - so every time I would nose over an obstacle and the Scout would go from barely pulling to coasting to aggressive compression braking, I'd hear metal tearing and the levers would flop about.

Solution - pretend I'm wheelin' an Automatic and ride the brakes.

Next problem - good news, I have finally found why the line-lock would slowly release and why I kept finding the brake fluid reservoir a little low - broken brake line behind the shock tower/just rear of the steering box (PITA to get to, of course)

Riding the brakes? Really low on fluid when I got back to camp. I didn't realize the severity until the next day..

So the next day I wound up taking an easier trip, shorter in duration. It was supposed to rain an inch or two over the next day, so it was time to pack up and head home anyways..

Ratchet strap around the air compressor and the frame just in case, and then drive nice and ride the brakes.

The good news is I could still work the skinny pedal all I wanted, I just couldn't do "one pedal" driving like I usually do.

PXL_20230903_173455223-me.jpg

Kids froze at altitude in the backseat - the hail would even bounce inside, though the rain stayed out.
PXL_20230903_174142782-me.jpg

Got it home and have begun the repairs.

I THINK the transmission to transfercase adapter didn't leak.

OTOH, the bellhousing came loose (yikes), the brake line (hard) broke and the reseroir is dry now. The motor mount is shot. I also found I ripped the ladder bar mount off the 14-bolt truss and that has to be addressed (right after I replaced the heim that broke - I guess the new heim is stronger than the brackets)

We'll see what else I find.

I flushed the cooling system and pulled the radiator to get it cleaned - temps were hovering around 220 and climbing to 230-240 at times more than I wanted, and since everythinjg else in my fleet has demanded cooling hoses in the last year, I'm pre-emptively replacing the Scouts' - time for an oil change, too.

WIth the radiator out, I won't have to be as careful replacing the motor mount.

I think I'll finally put a proper hydroboost PS pump in, rather than my extended neck - and getting that out of the way should help me get to the broken brake line to splice it.

New heater hoses while I"m at it, and new ps return hoses because I'm tired of the leak from the current setup.

Fortunately, I have a pair of RPT mounts on the shelf, so I'll be calling Mike to ask about getting the broken one rebuilt (at least one of the rivets failed) - and marven at how I managed to do that on the "coast" side, when - as evidenced by the broken ladder bar again - I do like the skinny pedal.

By then it'll be time to put the hardtop back on..

sucks on the downtime again, but glad to see you got out and enjoyed it, AND the kids are still interested in going too. Looks like an awesome trail

need me to sponsor some Loctite? :flipoff2:

sucks on the downtime again, but glad to see you got out and enjoyed it, AND the kids are still interested in going too. Looks like an awesome trail

need me to sponsor some Loctite? :flipoff2:
I have a big bottle of Red.. :)

So the ladder bar mount ripped off the top of the truss (again) - I need to gusset it.

The engine mounts were double nutted and top-lock nuts, and that part worked fine.

I have some pictures to post of how the RPT motor mounts are built - but internally, there are two studs welded to the top plate (the two bumps you see next to the center stud) with bushings.

I ripped both welded studs out of the top half and the mount separated.

Now, this mount in particular was a take-off from the old racer. When I scrapped it and sent the 304C to JetFxr, I kept the motor mounts - and then when the original Anything Scout style motor mounts in this Scout came apart on me, I just happened to have these used RPTs.

Since then, I've kept a spare set in the shed just in case - they're now installed, and I contacted IH Only about getting the old mounts rebuilt.

Note on that, the phone number has been disconnected and the website says Mike is leaning toward retirement and clearing out inventory, but to use the web-page to send a request, so I did. We'll see. I was looking forward to a short chat with Mike Ismail.

I have a big bottle of Red.. :)

So the ladder bar mount ripped off the top of the truss (again) - I need to gusset it.

The engine mounts were double nutted and top-lock nuts, and that part worked fine.

I have some pictures to post of how the RPT motor mounts are built - but internally, there are two studs welded to the top plate (the two bumps you see next to the center stud) with bushings.

I ripped both welded studs out of the top half and the mount separated.

Now, this mount in particular was a take-off from the old racer. When I scrapped it and sent the 304C to JetFxr, I kept the motor mounts - and then when the original Anything Scout style motor mounts in this Scout came apart on me, I just happened to have these used RPTs.

Since then, I've kept a spare set in the shed just in case - they're now installed, and I contacted IH Only about getting the old mounts rebuilt.

Note on that, the phone number has been disconnected and the website says Mike is leaning toward retirement and clearing out inventory, but to use the web-page to send a request, so I did. We'll see. I was looking forward to a short chat with Mike Ismail.
Isa Ismail might be doing the RPT stuff too?

Isa Ismail might be doing the RPT stuff too?
I think Jeff does CPT, Mike does RPT, and Isa has his own thing.

Mike called me a few days later - he was off on a trip.

I ordered a new set of motor mounts, and two sets of transmission mounts to resupply.

So here's what I could see -
PXL_20230914_032922089-me.jpg

PXL_20230914_032928377-me.jpg

And if you wanted to see how an RPT motor mount was assembled -

PXL_20230914_033536287-me.jpg

PXL_20230914_033558417-me.jpg

They are rebuildable - you can drill the rivets, install new bushings, and put it back together, but I managed to tear some metal along the way, too. :)

This one goes in the trophy case with the other mount I broke in the racer.

Of the 5000 mounts Mike has made and sold, I know of three that have failed - I, personally, account for two. :D Terry Keuhl's Lil' Foot ProArena racer is the other.

Not bad.

This failed mount was a take-out from the old racer. The weld holding the internal studs together failed and let it come apart.

PXL_20230914_033931312-me.jpg

Transmission mount kit:

PXL_20230926_023205452-me.jpg

I wound up rebuilding my crossmember and just using the bushings, since my mount is wider than stock, but I wanted to try to keep similar bushing characteristics between the engine and transmission.

I pulled the radiator - had it cleaned and tested, and supposedly only leaks above 14lbs and I run a 7lbs cap so back in it went..

While it was out, I R&R'd the motor mounts.

When I went to move the Scout afterwards, I found that I had broken the clutch relay linkage.

PXL_20231026_040212875-me.jpg

So it had to get welded up and re-installed before I could move on to the next steps.

That included fixing the ladder bar.

I had "just" replaced a broken heim not that long ago.

Heim held, welds held, but the tabs broke off.

PXL_20231030_000112725-me.jpg

Welds held, but maybe the HAZ got 'em.

And maybe it's becuase of the loading it's under.

After putting the new tabs on, tacking at ride height, then raising the Scout again to finish welding, you can see how much the ladder bar wants things to move.

PXL_20231105_234453505-me.jpg

It also looks like the front of the spring pack is not fanned out as much as the rear - and maybe that's putting a little twist into the springs that contributes to the breaks in the rear half?

PXL_20231111_051503859-me.jpg

PXL_20231111_051512588-me.jpg

PXL_20231111_051536626-me.jpg

While I was back there I replaced some suspect braided brake lines - I think the ladder bar smashed one a bit, and the line to the frame was a little shorter than I liked (you can see I had put it on a riser earlier)

New hardlines were fabricated up front, where the line under the steering box was broken - I've been trying to figure out if the power steering was leaking or what was going on, and I think it's been brake fluid all this time.

Still, I put in a new hydro-boost specific power steering pump and got rid of my extension for the HB return line.

Meanwhile, winter arrived, so time to put the hardtop on..

PXL_20231029_001558145-me.jpg

While I had it on the lift, I decided to tackle a leak at the rear of the oil pan.

It was also due for an oil change.

PXL_20231114_033016148-me.jpg

To be fair, it hasn't been 3000 miles..

Rubber Felpro oil pan gasket.. I almost never use these..

If you don't have a front sump drain, here is what's still left in your oil pan.

(I do have a front drain, but the front axle, hydraulic ram, etc were all in the way)

PXL_20231113_023537096-me.jpg

PXL_20231113_023604434-me.jpg

Not every day you see an IH with polished rods..
PXL_20231113_023736273-me.jpg

PXL_20231113_023752602-me.jpg

PXL_20231113_023805452-me.jpg

Those are the earlier 392 rods with the bolt and nut, not the later common 345/392 cap-screw rods.

I cleaned up the pan, and since I didn't have any new cork gaskets handy, it just got Right Stuff when I reinstalled it.

Ladder bar repair didn't last.

This time, the lower mount failed.

PXL_20231125_015803778-me.jpg

So, ladder bar is gone entirely - the crossmember was removed, too.

It worked well fo ra long time with the Dana 20, but I wasn't able to keep the bar as long after the Atlas went in, and now it's a bit too short and it binds the springs too much.

So.. done.

On the plus side, I made it through the McCarty Creek trail that broke a spring earlier in the year.

PXL_20231202_201652407-me.jpg

Not very exciting with no snow.

Nor was our annual Christmas Tree run. A Ford Escape joined us. Yes.

Tried a new approach for bringing the tree home

PXL_20231209_212320123-me.jpg

While trying to figure out where/how oil continues to weep out of the T19 (the PTO covers were leaking recently, but I tightend the bolts and I think that fixed it for now), what do I notice but something familiar to many of us..

PXL_20231212_034457846-me.jpg

PXL_20231212_040545544-me.jpg

Got out the needle scaler, and then a new toy - the band-file - to clean up what I could.

I didn't know it was a hole until the needle sclaer got stuck in it..

Cell phone was better at "seeing" the issues than my eyes - between the glasses and an inability to get my head in there..

I put the jack under the body mount to raise it up a little before welding, and then saw I had to weld the bottom, too.

PXL_20231212_044828779-me.jpg

Not a lot holding things in place. :D

And as you can see, my fuel lines are right there..

So, I found a chunk of channel in the scrap bucket..

PXL_20231212_052306534-me.jpg

Still not fun. Maybe I need to go to a 2" body lift going forward..

Got the first good set of passes done last night. I need to finish the bottom again, and see what I might have missed on the top side before paint.

Top Back Refresh