What's new

Snow Tracks?

300sniper

Gun Plumber
Member Number
Loc
Greenwood, CA
I tried googling this, but only found some studies about the trail impact, in other states. I know nothing about snowmobiles, never been around them, so maybe I don’t know what to search for. I am curious if a SXS with snow tracks is allowed to go in snowmobile areas in CA. This is more of a curiosity thing.

Real questions, how well do tracks work on fresh, undisturbed snow? This would be a low horsepower Ranger 1000 single cam. I’m assuming any of the unplowed roads we take crawlers on, tracks on a SXS would be better?

What about deep snow on unplowed roads where tired vehicles have already rutted up, will it suck crossing ruts, and getting out of ruts in a tracked SXS?

I have zero practical use for snow tracks. Trying to figure out if they’d be fun to just get out in the woods in the winter. If it’ll really go where tired vehicles will not, it may be worth the investment.

Where we ride snowmobiles in Iowa and Wisconsin no UTV/ATV's are allowed on the designated snowmobile trails regardless of tracks.

I don't know anyone personally that has tracks on their UTV, but do have friends of friends that do. Most of them use them for ice fishing and love them for getting out on lakes/rivers when the snow gets deep and tired vehicles/UTV's can't make it out.

I tried googling this, but only found some studies about the trail impact, in other states. I know nothing about snowmobiles, never been around them, so maybe I don’t know what to search for. I am curious if a SXS with snow tracks is allowed to go in snowmobile areas in CA. This is more of a curiosity thing.

Not 100% sure on this, but from what I hear. some areas are just "no wheeled vehicles" and others are sleds only.

Real questions, how well do tracks work on fresh, undisturbed snow? This would be a low horsepower Ranger 1000 single cam. I’m assuming any of the unplowed roads we take crawlers on, tracks on a SXS would be better?

Thats where they shine. I didn't get to use mine much last year, but 99% of the time any tracked sxs will stomp any rig on tires.

What about deep snow on unplowed roads where tired vehicles have already rutted up, will it suck crossing ruts, and getting out of ruts in a tracked SXS?

They ride pretty rough on packed roads, but will climb out of ruts better than tires.

I have zero practical use for snow tracks. Trying to figure out if they’d be fun to just get out in the woods in the winter. If it’ll really go where tired vehicles will not, it may be worth the investment.

They aren't cheap, but seem to hold their value well. You have a Polaris, so finding a used set should be easy about now, and also easy to sell if you don't like them.

I have a set on my Yamaha YXZ. They are a blast. In fresh deep, wet snow, it can sometimes be hard to get moving after you stop.
In Idaho, wheeled rigs are not allowed on snowmobile trails, but when you put tracks on they are considered snowmobiles and are allowed. I have to buy a separate snowmobile registration and groomer sticker, but it is less than $50 year.

Tracks are awesome, severely limit your speed but can go everywhere. If you use them a lot, be prepared to replace suspension bushings, wheel bearings, and ball joints a lot.

They ride pretty rough on packed roads, but

My buddy has tracks on his UTV and I've driven and ridden in it several times. The rough ride is definitely a negative, but it does well in the fresh stuff.

Better than a sxs :flipoff2:
IMG_20201231_205644.jpg
riding rough on a hard road is an understatement.

Tracks on our 17 Ranger 1000XP are very impressive. We don't get the 2' dumps of snow that we used to, but there is nothing I haven't been able to climb. Our snowmobile club is selling our RTV 100 with tracks(gutless turd) and replace it with a new Ranger w/tracks.

Top Back Refresh