What's new

Snow Clearing - What kind of Machine?

The secret is the noise. The more you make the easier the snow is to plow. :flipoff2:
I used to think this way in my younger days. My straight piped truck plowing residential drives at 4AM made quick work of the snow. I finally realized how loud it was when I let someone else drive it and I was on the outside

What's it take to run power in there and heat the end of the driveway? Just have to keep it above freezing. Likely a 10k expenditure but you never have to get out in the cold. Ever.

No power on property. Idk about running it.

What's it take to run power in there and heat the end of the driveway? Just have to keep it above freezing. Likely a 10k expenditure but you never have to get out in the cold. Ever.
I have one, girl almost 13... shovel?!:lmao:

5op6j5.jpg
Meh, not really. its about 50W per square foot, so he probably needs about a 6x10 setup under some pavers at the end of the driveway. Figure 3000W when it's on. There are ice, snow and moisture sensors that can be set up to do this automatically. We have them in the concrete outside our car wash at work. It's not like it would be running all day, every day. Might cost 100 bux a month in the winter and completely negate messing with an old plow truck, loader, snowblower, upon arrival on a late Friday night.

Meh, not really. its about 50W per square foot, so he probably needs about a 6x10 setup under some pavers at the end of the driveway. Figure 3000W when it's on. There are ice, snow and moisture sensors that can be set up to do this automatically. We have them in the concrete outside our car wash at work. It's not like it would be running all day, every day. Might cost 100 bux a month in the winter and completely negate messing with an old plow truck, loader, snowblower, upon arrival on a late Friday night.
I have no power.... It would have to be a generator.... Running all the time? :flipoff2:

So here is what I'm looking at for worst case. 3.5-4ft

20220308_160358.jpg

20220308_155353.jpg

If it's layers upon layers of melted and frozen stuff and you aren't spending "other people's money" you're probably gonna wind up using a machine with a bucket.

If it's layers upon layers of melted and frozen stuff and you aren't spending "other people's money" you're probably gonna wind up using a machine with a bucket.
Right, as it is now. But if I keep on top of it as the dot plows storms I may be able to not need big ass machine? But yes it's pretty solid at the moment

Right, as it is now. But if I keep on top of it as the dot plows storms I may be able to not need big ass machine? But yes it's pretty solid at the moment
Even clearing a freshly plowed snowbank is a bitch. Good luck trying to clear that with a snowblower after it sits for even a day.

Have any neighbors with a plow that you can pay to just open up the snowbank? Or find a plow guy that drives by here on their way to someone elses house and pay him to just open up the bank. If you find a guy that drives by here normally it would only take him a couple minutes and would be cheap.

Even clearing a freshly plowed snowbank is a bitch. Good luck trying to clear that with a snowblower after it sits for even a day.

Have any neighbors with a plow that you can pay to just open up the snowbank? Or find a plow guy that drives by here on their way to someone elses house and pay him to just open up the bank. If you find a guy that drives by here normally it would only take him a couple minutes and would be cheap.
Snow blower on a small tractor will have absolutely no problem with anything the OP is dealing with. No need to keep up with anything. I just opened up a driveway to a neighbors hanger last weekend and we've had ~300" this season so far and it hasn't been touched till now. Took me maybe 10 minutes to get a pocket big enough to park a vehicle off the road. The bank from the county plow was ~5' tall. About 3-4 feet on the driveway.

This is what my friends in the UP of Michigan use for there remote cabin. They have a skid steer with a blower now, but didn't get it mounted up this year. I think everyone just likes running "Fat Allis" better.
IMG_3271.PNG

Snow blower on a small tractor will have absolutely no problem with anything the OP is dealing with. No need to keep up with anything. I just opened up a driveway to a neighbors hanger last weekend and we've had ~300" this season so far and it hasn't been touched till now. Took me maybe 10 minutes to get a pocket big enough to park a vehicle off the road. The bank from the county plow was ~5' tall. About 3-4 feet on the driveway.
Yeah snowblower on a tractor is totally different. I was talking about a walk behind snowblower.

Walk behind won't have energy weight, it will just want to ride up over the packed snow.

Top Back Refresh