What's new

SNAFU. Hitch broke

chaplinfj60

Member Number
Loc
marshalltown iowa
Situation normal all fucked up, pulled off the side of the road to check on a loose camper chain felt my brakes hit a little harder than normal. Go back and look. My hitch had broken and the safety change are doing their job. Another hitch is in route right now.

My trailer weighs about 3000 pounds my buggy let’s just say five this little hitch was rated for over 10 and it broke and no way do I have over 2000 pounds of tongue weight
IMG_1587.jpeg
IMG_1589.jpeg
IMG_1590.jpeg
IMG_1593.jpeg
IMG_1589.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1594.jpeg
    IMG_1594.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1595.jpeg
    IMG_1595.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Interestingly there's no rust in the break. I'd have figured a break like that would take awhile to get all the way though seeing as pretty much every broken drawbar you can find a picture of is either bent or the square tube is ripped off the thick plate

If it were me looking at that failure I'd move the trailer coupler up and/or switch to a normal drop mount but I'm also the kind of cheapskate who'd have done that from the get go. :laughing:

Last edited:
I'd considered going to that style of hitch to save myself headache with having multiple hitches for different drops for the boat and car trailer. Now it makes me happy I went with a forged ball mounts considering that the dually can kind of beat up light tongue weight trailers and hitches.

Interestingly there's no rust in the break. I'd have figured a break like that would take awhile to get all the way though seeing as pretty much every broken drawbar you can find a picture of is either bent or the square tube is ripped off the thick plate

Look again. It was cracked. Hopefully you can drop the trailer and grab a new replacement at a local tractor supply!

That’s not a lot of support, that’s all the contact there is on the whole hitch?

I had a baby 1 7/8” hitch I think was 1/2” bar also and didn’t trust it to tow a single 3 wheeler on a baby trailer.

Last edited:
I went with the B&W setup. I tow my trailer with different vehicles, and was sick of having to sort thru a few hitches to get the right setup. I spoke with a friend who runs a shop, and he recommended the B&W after having his hands on a few different variants. I went with B&W TS10037B.

I am not going to engineer the failure based off the pics like others :P
BUT, with a cabover, switch to a weight distribution hitch now that you're buying one, it really helps a lot.

I went with the B&W setup. I tow my trailer with different vehicles, and was sick of having to sort thru a few hitches to get the right setup. I spoke with a friend who runs a shop, and he recommended the B&W after having his hands on a few different variants. I went with B&W TS10037B.

That's all I use for hitches now and have one on each truck. The one I have on the F250 came from the Irate giveaway a few years ago:smokin: and I bought a new one for my F350 that has the huge reciever hitch hole because I wasn't into using adapters. B&W makes good stuff

I had a similar failure. After a day of wheeling two hours away, I pulled into the local car wash to wash the Jeep. As I drive into the car wash with a bit of a bump in their driveway I feel a jerk. Get out and my trailer tongue is on the ground. Lucky for sure.

I admit it was a fail on my part. Hitch was only rated for 5k. Now I make sure all my hitches are properly rated.

1718912776867.jpeg

You good? Location say Iowa, in the off chance you’re anywhere near me I can bring a hitch I don’t need back

Nothing to add, hard to do better than a dedicated forged ball mount,

I will say though there is a consensus by some members here and in life that the same old 10k hitch is all you need and to me this sort of illustrates the point that there is not much margin left on equipment rated that low.

I have one of the Weigh Safe hitches. Mine doesn’t have the weight gauge on it. I like the solid aluminum with no slop on the adjustable part of the hitch. Has a 2” and 2 5-16” ball. Nice keeping one hitch that works with my boat and equipment trailer. I paid around $120 in 2020.

I have one of the Weigh Safe hitches. Mine doesn’t have the weight gauge on it. I like the solid aluminum with no slop on the adjustable part of the hitch. Has a 2” and 2 5-16” ball. Nice keeping one hitch that works with my boat and equipment trailer. I paid around $120 in 2020.
I have the same hitch but in a 3" shank for the big hitch Ford.

I'd be much less confident using the same hitch in a 2" shank at almost half the capacity of the 3".

12,5k vs 21k

On the other side of the hitch, recently has one of the bolts crack and the nut fall off and when I went to replace the 2nd bolt, it had also broken and the nut fell off as soon as I put the ratchet and wrench on it. Same adjustable setup for the hitch on both of those trailers.

I picked up a couple of this style a couple months ago when TSC was clearancing a ton of towing stuff. I have trailers with both 2" and 2-5/16" balls, so this is pretty much ideal. Also have a pintle that I can swap on the the shank.

1719775502266.png

But I'm more worried about the receiver on my truck deciding to fuck off more than the hitch failing.

Top Back Refresh