What's new

Smokers, grills, etc.

What brand is that on the left with the rotisserie and adjustable grate? They are called Santa Maria style if I am thinking right?

That's a Rectec (now Recteq) Wyldside.

I bought it used. They were originally $1,399 and I couldn't justify the price. Didn't see that much quality there. I have a RecTeq BFG smoker and it's nice, but I just couldn't justify the price for the Wyldside.

It has a fan that adds oxygen to the fire and can hold two rotisseries. They discontinued them.

Got this one locally for less than half that. Was in good condition, just needed some cleaning.

After more research it seems that the price wasn’t bad. Other Santa Maria style units are either missing the rotisserie ability or the fan to feed oxygen to the fire box.

_nc_ohc=d657QsBxN08AX-rGTA5&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

I picked up a shelf for their RT-700 pellet smoker and mounted it so I had a shelf as well as some distance between my junk and that hot-ass stainless. :laughing:
_nc_ohc=FMUXPEME27wAX_ZR9FQ&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=xcCuF0IxEIIAX8Ah7ck&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

It’s been said that Rectec copied the Buckaroo grill. I guess they did with the fan system that feeds the fire box.

Overall, I like the thing. When/if I build the outdoor kitchen this will get built in.

Funny you asked about it. I’m cooking on it tonight. It's raining. *kicks dirt

Last edited:
In the market for a smoker now. I have an electric and hate it, I miss the stick burner experience. I also have a propane grill. My focus is on being less energy dependent, not more, so pellets are out. I don't want to be reliant on pellets and electricity any more than propane and electricity. My wood stack is large with more to come. All that to say...man I'd love a nice shiny one, but I see lyfetime and old country pits for cheap on craigslist all the time, going to have to pick one up, do some mods, and get to smokin again!

I have an OKJ highland. I got it for a smoking (hehe) deal on Craigs. Had to buy a stack and a thermometer.

I’ve only smoked on it maybe 5-6 times (total newb) but it’s fun and I love it. I made some bangin ribs, brisket, some chicken thighs, brats… not in that order.

My neighbor has a traeger. And while, yes, the purists will say it’s not real smoking. It still produces a damn good product. I don’t drink. But when I’m doing stuff around the yard, it’s fun to have something to pay attention to every hour or so. I’m still learning about fire management etc.

Also. Don’t buy a Meater + probe. It absolutely sucks and has no range at all like they advertise.
14E31000-5270-48C1-973A-AB740213AA77.jpeg
C54EEF65-EF89-469E-902A-3921E0AE70F6.jpeg
A5A13185-83B8-46CC-A4F2-4719DB3D3C85.jpeg
9D5044F0-513E-40B6-8E47-74E0FC9E9DD2.jpeg
3EC9FCCA-540D-4452-B3EE-6380C64C78DA.jpeg

Decided I need a side burner, can't beat the free-$50 webers that are all over the place. Pretty nice unit back in the day.

323587190_6206207369413031_6468594319490361092_n.jpg

1673231534046.jpeg

Decided I need a side burner, can't beat the free-$50 webers that are all over the place. Pretty nice unit back in the day.

323587190_6206207369413031_6468594319490361092_n.jpg

I redid one when I bought my first house . Damn thing was amazing and by far the best grill I ever had . Gave it away when I bought a new top of the line genesis at half off at end of summer from Lowe’s . Biggest mistake I’ve ever made , I hate the new genesis and it sucks to grill on in comparison .

Sugar free stuff. Any suggestions that you flavor savory types might have that wouldn’t have one grain of GD sugar in it?

Salt=good, spice=good, smoke=good.

Sugar=all bad, no go, do not proceed, do not collect $200 dollars.

Sugar free stuff. Any suggestions that you flavor savory types might have that wouldn’t have one grain of GD sugar in it?

Salt=good, spice=good, smoke=good.

Sugar=all bad, no go, do not proceed, do not collect $200 dollars.
My brother buys all the different premix spice blends. They all have sugar and all taste too busy for me. I mix my own.

This was for a pork loin last time and it tasted good. All from memory so look up a recipe before you commit.

3 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp: garlic, onion, smoked paprika
1/2-1 tsp cayenne. I did 1/2, I didn't think it was hot, my mom did, ymmv

I mixed some with melted butter and injected it for fun. I don't know if it made a difference but it all came out really well

20230814_201148.jpg

20230814_200412.jpg

Smoked turkey (boneless) and chicken (w/bone) breasts.
1. Brine overnight. 4 cups water, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/8 cup salt, handful of peppercorns. I use the smallest Ziploc bag that'll hold everything. The biggest joke in the world is every recipe that assumes I'm fitting a 2 gallon bucket in my fridge.
2. Remove from brine, pat dry, season. I do 1 part salt to 2 parts pepper. I like poultry simple, adjust to taste.
3. Smoke at 225 for an hour and a half.
3.1 Blow a 1" pressure line on the backhoe, completely distract yourself from smoker
4. Raise to 350, pull as soon as internal hits 165°f. I wrapped in foil for this since it was getting late.
5. If not already wrapped, wrap now. Let it rest in a towel for 30 minutes.

This was the juiciest turkey I have ever had. The chicken was phenomenal. 10/10 would make again. Pictures don't do it justice.

Last edited:
I did all of the above with some 2 for $4 turkey legs too. Moral of that story is don't expect much from 2 for $4 turkey legs. Tasted great, but inedibly tough. Should have saved them for soup or something

Ran a test run for dehydrating habaneros on the pellet smoker today. 180° is too low, they just weren't drying out. 220° seems to be the sweet spot. I have a feeling ambient humidity is more important than I thought it would be. Will crush, taste, and report back.

Update: Tastes like dried habanero. No real smoke flavor comes through with the amount I use on pizza or pasta or anything else. Drying them in the oven stinks up the house so still a net win. Will do again.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh