What's new

Smoke Detectors

billdacat

No road...no problem.
Member Number
Loc
Utah or bust!
Fucking bought a packaged of 10 year FirstAleart smoke detectors back in January. Some of the rooms in my house have 10 to 14 foot ceilings; royal PITA to service batteries. So far this year I have had to replace two of the bitches because of false alarms. Normally this would not be a big deal, but with caring for my aging parents and a fucking nervous bitch Chihuahua; false alarms are a major issue. The fucking Chihuahua goes into full blown panic mode; mother (87y/o) joins the Chihuahua and feeds the panic session.

I am two shakes of a cats tail from shooting the fucking Chihuahua! (She is a nasty fucking BITCH!)

I really need some Irate wisdom on a GOOD FUCKING smoke detector! :mad3:

Last edited:
Are the rents good with a smart phone? We have Nests throughout and we get an alert on our phone and can kill the smoke alarms before they cause a panic

Def on the more expensive end though ...

I've had to throw out all but one of the last batch of the first alerts I bought from home depot. False alarms as well. I'll be following this. Nothing like waking up at 2am to an alarm going off.

Same. My house was built in the '70s, original smoke detectors hard wired and all still worked great. Except the wife thought they were ugly.

I replaced them all with the wireless first alerts with 10 year batteries. They fucking suck. False alarms all the time and they will not shut off unless you take them off the ceiling and turn it off completely. I still have one that's not put back yet because it goes off so often.

the sweet thing about the lithium one is you can't pull the fucking battery to silence it.

ours freaked out and would not reset. Ended up taking it outside and "disassembling" it with a hammer. went back to the cheap 9v ones.

I can't add anything constructive to this . .. . but it's reassuring to know that I am not the only one that gets triggered by this kinda shit.

the sweet thing about the lithium one is you can't pull the fucking battery to silence it.

ours freaked out and would not reset. Ended up taking it outside and "disassembling" it with a hammer. went back to the cheap 9v ones.

Mine has an on/off button on the back. Hammer works too though I'm sure.

Mine has an on/off button on the back. Hammer works too though I'm sure.
it was a KIDDE unit. Twist to turn on, no way to turn it off or do anything more than silence it for like 60 seconds.

Some of you might need to invest in cooking lessons or at least a better range hood :laughing:

mine failed randomly, nobody was cooking, there wasn't any steam. I called KIDDE while it was happening and they tell you to blow it out with compressed air, which also did nothing.
after 15 fucking minutes of listening to it beep I smashed it with a fucking hammer.
the lady on the phone said "Oh it stopped beeping"
I said "yeah, I smashed the shit out of it with a hammer. I'll never buy another, have a nice day"

They're all trash.

I don't run any. If my place burns my stockpile of aromatic solvents and the munitions dump in the basement will likely go kablooey before I wake up, so no sense wasting money or dealing with false alarms.

I really need some Irate wisdom on a GOOD FUCKING smoke detector! :mad3:

I don't know if it'll be wisdom, but what kind of detector is the first alerts that are giving you trouble? Buy the other kind for those high ceilings. (photoelectric or ionization).
They are probably getting set off by dust.

if you want to eliminate false alarms get photoelectric detectors, ion based detectors (most in big box stores) will give you a false alarm very easily.

if you want to eliminate false alarms get photoelectric detectors, ion based detectors (most in big box stores) will give you a false alarm very easily.

We use photoelectric detectors in aircraft baggage compartments. Fuck is it amazing how hard it is to set them off. I literally set the fire alarm system off in the hangar without getting that POS detector to pop. I had a baking pan full of wood chips drenched in turbine oil on fire, floating in a Rubbermiad tub of water (thermal isolation for the composite floor panels), locked in the baggage compartment, and the smoke leaking from the seals set the hangar fire detectors off before the one in the baggage compartment went.

:lmao:

It's all nanny state bullshit. Smoke detectors are basically communism in the home.

Update.... I am fucking replacing some heavy ass porch columns out back. Serious fucking jacking and lifting going on. Fucking living room detector goes off; MOTHER and Chihuahua are in full blown panic mode. I am fucking dealing with 100lb plus replacement colullms on 14ft ladders and could give a fucking rats ass about a goddam smoke detector!

Irate4x4 peeps .... Need to KILL that fucking Chihuahua! I can live with the shitty Costco smoke detectors!

No there shouldn't. Helmet laws either. Stupid should hurt.

How very libertarian.

I suppose you also think we should be actively anti-racist too, and maybe a penalty for not being so. :flipoff2:

lol.

I missed a no in there.

no, there should not be a legal penalty for not wearing your seatbelt.

your choice if you want to eat the windshield.

I'll wear mine though, becuase I like living through crashes.

Fawk. I was hoping for some reviews for battery powered ones that dont suck.

BTT for more shit talking.

You should get smoke/carbon monoxide detector combo units and put them up high. :stirthepot::flipoff2:

just hardwire them in if you're gonna run them, batteries are fucking stupid when it is a stationary appliance

my house doesn't have them because reasons

Fawk. I was hoping for some reviews for battery powered ones that dont suck.

BTT for more shit talking.

You should get smoke/carbon monoxide detector combo units and put them up high. :stirthepot::flipoff2:

Add me to the list. Looking for new ones for the house and not sure what is junk and what isn't.

Update on Chihuahua; still kicking but fucking nervous as shit. Appeantaly the Costco First Alert model P1210 is a piece of shit. I called First Alert and describe how I was going to send a dead Chihuahua to their headquarters. The First Alert person was telling me that I should blow out my smoke detectors every three months. I know it is dust or a fucking spider that is tripping these shitty smoke detectors. The First Alert rep offered a no-cost, no hassle replacement. That replacement is a different PC1210 detector with CO. Fucking problem is; I now have to replace the mounting flange. My fucking head is spinning right now on the crap. IMHO: Spend the extra bucks and buy better detectors.

Built a handy tool for the hard to reach smoke detectors. I use CO2 and can blow out all the detectors in under 20 minutes.
Smoke.jpg

Top Back Refresh