What's new

Smart Lok

Poke

I’m condescending
Member Number
Anyone run one? I am lookin into a full kit for my X3. Diff, Wires, module, switches, axles, etc.. Mine is essentially 3wd... locked rear with open front. bottom end stock can am stuff.

A good friend of mine had one on his X-3. He loved it, and it worked great until he upgraded to 35" stickies. It grenaded after the second trip with the big rubber. Please note he is very abusive on his equipment, like, VERY abusive. He then went to the Halo locker in the front, but admits he liked the smart lock more than the halo.

I have the smart lock on my xrc. Really like it. Turns a lot easier when in trail or rock modes. Axles are bigger compared to the base model. Left and right sides are the same size also. The smart loc is the reason i bought the xrc. I hate 3 wheel drive.
I would definitely look at the halo. If the cost is comparable i would probably go that way. Heard good things about about it.

Last edited:
Anyone run one? I am lookin into a full kit for my X3. Diff, Wires, module, switches, axles, etc.. Mine is essentially 3wd... locked rear with open front. bottom end stock can am stuff.

You could buy a whole billet diff with a halo locker and have beer money left for what all that shit will cost from canned ham I bet. Been a year or so since I sold any can-am stuff parts, but just the diff is 1500 or so from what I remember. It may have came down in price thou by now.

You could buy a whole billet diff with a halo locker and have beer money left for what all that shit will cost from canned ham I bet. Been a year or so since I sold any can-am stuff parts, but just the diff is 1500 or so from what I remember. It may have came down in price thou by now.

$2000 shipped. Wiring, switches, module, diff, axle shafts

$2000 shipped. Wiring, switches, module, diff, axle shafts

Well cheaper than I thought.

I'm more of a "Id rather have to lock it before hitting a climb/rocks. Then unlock it when i'm done" kinda guy. I'd rather have the halo, but probably about half of the people that bought them from us complained about it being "locked in too much". So I guess it would depend on more if you want a truetrac kinda thing or a spool kinda thing when its working.

Well cheaper than I thought.

I'm more of a "Id rather have to lock it before hitting a climb/rocks. Then unlock it when i'm done" kinda guy. I'd rather have the halo, but probably about half of the people that bought them from us complained about it being "locked in too much". So I guess it would depend on more if you want a truetrac kinda thing or a spool kinda thing when its working.

Mine is a Daily driver as well so that tells me not to get a halo

Well you would still have "normal" 4wd with it in 4wd (open diff). Its just locked like a spool when you want to lock the halo. Just so there is no confusion.

Yes. It is a open diff till you lock it in then its locks both tires together. As in an elocker.

A lot of the people that have only been riding rzrs and x3's are not used to having something that is fully locked together like that in the front. They are used to there being some slip so it will turn easier and not hook so hard. So usually the complaint would be it "pulls too good, it locks the tires together too much, " etc. Its not a push the 4wd button and forget it type thing which is what a lot of people are looking for.

It is also independent of the 4wd switch. When you are wanting to do a hard climb. You would hit your 4wd switch to lock it in 4wd. Then hit you halo locking switch to lock the halo( as in e-locker) . So you still have 3 wheel drive for easier things or faster trail riding. But you have the locker when your ready to do something harder.

So if your coming from a buggy or rockcrawler you understand what it means to have that sort of setup. A lot of folks in sxs's have never had something like that. So they get one thinking they want it till they have to lock and unlock it. Then it becomes too much trouble. Around here they are usually half a case in by the time they need it and they cant rememeber how to drive with it.

It replaces the thin side of your diff housing with their own billet cover and internal pieces.

Last edited:
Got it. So to me who knows a twin stick with a crawl box and I’ve had welded, spools, lunch box, push button, etc.. it would probably be pretty useful. I know all about stopping to get the buggy in the right set up for what I’m doing.

i can see some guys I ride with not getting it or not liking it. They want one button with point and shoot.

I debated a Halo or Smart Lock, but I went with a TORQ locker. I'm much happier that I went with an automatic locker.

I have no ill effects in 2WD and in 4WD the thing pulls like crazy. Much better than that fucking factory Viscolock.

My gator has a front locker and if I need it or think I will need it I turn the knob. Guess that is too much for some folks

I thought the smart lock would lock up completely when you hit the diff lock button. Found out on a steep hill it doesnt. It will still slip if the wheel gets in a bad bind. Not sure if feathering the brake would help or not.

Top Back Refresh