What's new

Small enclosed 'shop' in an 'open' car port, bad idea?

No way I'd go with a sea-can... I hear too much about sweat issues and too narrow for a vehicle. Plus, it would cost probably as much as framing out a small enclosure; my hand notes for lumber came in at a little under $4k to frame out a 24'x16' shop with small bonus room on top(no truss/roof sheeting) Last 20' sea-can I priced was near $3k with no delivery.
Spray foam the ceiling... the walls too if want to heat it a little. The width is the width, unfortunately. Smaller vehicles fit ok.

I don't have room for a container, but one buddy has several now. He has it figured he can't build the equivalent with lumber and concrete for less money.

I feel like stick built would be faster for this small of a structure. You can knock together the walls in a day, use wall jacks or a gin pole to lift them up, and have it all done in a couple of days by yourself using a nail gun.

I feel like stick built would be faster for this small of a structure. You can knock together the walls in a day, use wall jacks or a gin pole to lift them up, and have it all done in a couple of days by yourself using a nail gun.
CA. When I talked to the permitting office here in SD County, stick built would require fireproof materials and enclosed eaves. My plans were for an enclosed shop, so might be different for him, but better to check ahead of time. I have a friend who bought a DIY stick barn then using their plans to submit to County. Ended up nearly doubling the materials cost because he had to rebuy all the siding and add eave protection.

Spray foam the ceiling... the walls too if want to heat it a little. The width is the width, unfortunately. Smaller vehicles fit ok.

I don't have room for a container, but one buddy has several now. He has it figured he can't build the equivalent with lumber and concrete for less money.
As noted, because of my location, I think the cost would be a wash or even less going with 'partial' frameout inside an existing structure vs sea-can. According to my notes with Home Depot prices using 2x6 and t1-11 siding, a single 24' wall would be ~$500, a single 16' wall would be ~$350, and a floor/roof using 2x12 rafters and 3/4 ply would be ~$1700. Most of the $1700 is based upon 2x12. But as I said, last time I priced out a sea-can, it was $2000-$2500 without delivery.

As you note, the width is the width on sea-can. At my previous house, my experience was anything less than 10' for my 68 mustang and 71 FJ55 was basically not usable as a shop.

I think a metal carport/quonset would be a wash on time. From what I recall, it took three of us about a week(~6-8 hour days) to frame/sheet a similar sized structure. It took three of us about 3-4 days to pull down a 16'x65' car port.

A potential issue with stick framed is noted below:

CA. When I talked to the permitting office here in SD County, stick built would require fireproof materials and enclosed eaves. My plans were for an enclosed shop, so might be different for him, but better to check ahead of time. I have a friend who bought a DIY stick barn then using their plans to submit to County. Ended up nearly doubling the materials cost because he had to rebuy all the siding and add eave protection.
I'm not 100% sure up here. When I had remodel plans drafted about 5 years ago, they did include higher quality Hardiboard(Nihai???) as well as enclosed attic. I don't recall if it was because I asked for extra fire safety or if that was a county requirement.:homer:

As noted, because of my location, I think the cost would be a wash or even less going with 'partial' frameout inside an existing structure vs sea-can. According to my notes with Home Depot prices using 2x6 and t1-11 siding, a single 24' wall would be ~$500, a single 16' wall would be ~$350, and a floor/roof using 2x12 rafters and 3/4 ply would be ~$1700. Most of the $1700 is based upon 2x12. But as I said, last time I priced out a sea-can, it was $2000-$2500 without delivery.

As you note, the width is the width on sea-can. At my previous house, my experience was anything less than 10' for my 68 mustang and 71 FJ55 was basically not usable as a shop.

I think a metal carport/quonset would be a wash on time. From what I recall, it took three of us about a week(~6-8 hour days) to frame/sheet a similar sized structure. It took three of us about 3-4 days to pull down a 16'x65' car port.

A potential issue with stick framed is noted below:

I'm not 100% sure up here. When I had remodel plans drafted about 5 years ago, they did include higher quality Hardiboard(Nihai???) as well as enclosed attic. I don't recall if it was because I asked for extra fire safety or if that was a county requirement.:homer:
I think it’s a rural area thing, just like that useless tax we all have to pay for more fires to get put out and stack more deadwood. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh