What's new

Small business expense tracking?

Byro

Lurkin’
Member Number
Loc
East Canton, OH
Started up an LLC a few months ago, doing fab work, dirt bike/ATV repair, basically anything off-road related. My question is for those of you who yourselves are small business owners, what app, software, etc, are you using to keep track of business records, expenses things of that nature. Looking for something easy to use, bonus points if it’s free and mobile friendly.

Please go visit with your accountant / tax return preparer. They'll likely be the ones using the product of your record keeping. If it's easier for them it'll save you $$ in the end.

You may need to keep track of sales by location for example ... it depends on how convoluted your local / county / state sales / use tax is.

Good Luck!

excel. learn it. find a legit training/ crash course. (i've actually switched everything over to google sheets, same difference, google just worked better across all platforms that i use)

i never found a program that i liked. the worst was quickbooks especially the move to subscription service.

of the small biz/ contractors in my area, most do their own excel thing. some use onedrive app stuff for employee reporting. some quick books.

be sure to have seperate banking accts for all biz related expensce. and try to keep accounting as simple as possible.

I use Quickbooks, and like it. I have one employee so I have to pay the payroll subscription, but it works really well for me.

excel. learn it. find a legit training/ crash course. (i've actually switched everything over to google sheets, same difference, google just worked better across all platforms that i use)

i never found a program that i liked. the worst was quickbooks especially the move to subscription service.

of the small biz/ contractors in my area, most do their own excel thing. some use onedrive app stuff for employee reporting. some quick books.

be sure to have seperate banking accts for all biz related expensce. and try to keep accounting as simple as possible.

This

No employees, for at least a while anyway, most of my orders now for supplies and what not are in my business email, which is already getting to be a bitch to keep track of.

I’ll have to swing by the bank tomorrow and see about setting up a business account and perhaps a line of credit.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you. My accountant said quick books self employed, I guess its the app based version. She also said excel spreadsheet works. I need to setup my bank account but COVID closed the banks and looting fucks has kept them closed even longer.

So I have all my shit in excel right now.

I'm a contract software developer and have been handling my taxes since 2014 (quarterly estimated payments, expenses, etc) using Quickbooks Self-employed. Love it.

Top Back Refresh