What's new

Slug Bus (not VW)

HippyJoDiesel

Onion Bhaji
Member Number
So I'm looking at this old full-size school bus, I think it's an International. It's already been gutted (maybe a bit too far) and I'm thinking of throwing some beds in it, and making it a camper. Not looking to make a highway cruiser out of it, just something that I can putt-putt along the back roads at 50-55 tops. I'm pretty sure the motor is a goner, but I have this 6.2 detroit diesel, from a K20, I had planned to put in my C10, but I'm thinking I might just leave the 350 in the C10 and put the diesel in the bus.

The 6.2 is a bit low on torque, but I'm hopeful it can drag a near empty bus chassis around, or should I be looking for something bigger?

I guess, but I figured it might be good for 55, depending on the transmission. Maybe I should wait for a short bus 🤨

How cheap is it? I was looking at buses a week ago or so on FB marketplace and saw quite a few in good running condition for under $3500. Someone local had one for $2500.

Oh, yeah, I could get a runner, and save all the effort, they aren't too expensive round here. I just wanted to see this specific one resurrected.

Last edited:
Would you put a bone stock 292 in a school bus and expect to punch a 55mph hole in the air?

A 6.2 is going to do just as badly albeit at lower rpm.

Would you put a bone stock 292 in a school bus and expect to punch a 55mph hole in the air?

A 6.2 is going to do just as badly albeit at lower rpm.

No, cause I don't have a bone stock 292 sitting in my shed. I'm not worried about hitting 55, that's why I said tops, if it goes 30, fine, if it doesn't go atall, not so fine.

I do have a bone stock 262 6-in-line, and I plan to use that to drag the thing home, and I don't expect to go much beyond 10mph doing it.

Oh, yeah, I could get a runner, and save all the effort, they aren't too expensive round here. I just wanted to see this specific one resurrected.

I wouldn't even bother with trying to "resurrect" the old bus when good running examples are cheap. Do you want to camp or do you want a project with a disappointing end result?

The part about not caring how fast it goes makes no sense. You want to drive it down the road legally?

Yeah, I really did a poor job of explaining myself.

I would like to see this specific bus resurrected.

I absolutely do not want it to go fast, if it can't do the minimum highway speed, fine.

My interest is more in seeing it moving, than having a camper.

My question was more, can a 6.2 diesel make this move atall? If so can it sustain say 25-40 mph enough to make it not a farm vehicle? Even if it takes a few minutes to make said speed.

I figured someone might jump in with estimated weights or torque limits or something.

The 6.2 is the fastest revving diesel I have with more than 4 cylinders.

Didn't think there was a legal minimum speed except on interstates?

Last edited:
Yes the 6.2 will move it. Most states have a min-speed that's 10/15/20 under the speed limit. Nobody gets pulled over for it though. Doing substantially less than traffic speed everywhere is a bad time unless you're oblivious.

(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation of his vehicle or in compliance with law.

I like being safe?

How flat is it where you are OP?

If there's no hills I bet you can do 60-65 with the 6.2. After all 292 and 300 powered vans have no problem doing 80+, just takes them awhile. If there's hills you will be slowing way down for every one of them and that will suck.

Midwest, it's pretty darn flat, there are hills occasionally. But yeah, mostly flat. Should be fine. I may try and exceed 50 in it, if I have supreme confidence, but the handling of something that size, and that unladen will be questionable. My old step van was a beast when it was empty, hit a pothole or whoop and that back end would go everywhere.

I tend to like lugging diesels anyways, even when the optimum power band is at higher revs, can't stand the sound of it, like neurotic hairdryers.

Don't worry, 90% of my driving, I barely see another car, I can do a 2-3 hour driving and see other vehicles in single digits, so I won't be holding up anybody, if I can help it.

I think a 6.2 will move the bus, but I'm unsure of how fast it will and how well it will sustain speed against hills, wind, etc.

If you have the engine and the ability to put it in, go for it. Worst that will happen is that you are not satisfied and have to find something else to swap, right?

Yeah, and I don't have the bus yet, and I haven't seen the guy recently, maybe he snowbirded or went off for Xmas.

Are you in WI Brecklin?

I have seen 6.2 powered rollbacks do ok on the highway as long as they didn’t hit a hill. With a turbo it might not suck too bad.

Ah, small world, you're probably distantly related to my wife. Her dad was Lee, died in his 30's in IL back in 1973/4

Top Back Refresh