What's new

Slowpoke attempts to kill himself in a golfcart!

Air is the only thing that passes through that part. The golf ball dimples do something to increase air flow, but I'm no engineer and am not even going to begin to pretend I understand it.
I remember an episode of Mythbusters on the golf ball dimple effect. it actually helps the ball fly thru the air farther vs smooth. They did a 90s GM car stock body work and measured miles on X gallons of fuel. Covered the car in clay skin over the bodywork and put dimples in them. Even weighing more the car went farther on same fuel.

I remember an episode of Mythbusters on the golf ball dimple effect. it actually helps the ball fly thru the air farther vs smooth. They did a 90s GM car stock body work and measured miles on X gallons of fuel. Covered the car in clay skin over the bodywork and put dimples in them. Even weighing more the car went farther on same fuel.

I've seen ports and combustion chambers on race car heads that have been dimpled like that but never an air intake. My tuner does alot of testing with these Talon engines and swears by that velocity stack for short course racing.

Started pulling the engine apart earlier this week.

20211216_164513.jpg

20211216_164539.jpg

Found your problem, your missing an entire cyl! :flipoff2:

Any word on if they're going to let the pro r race in your class? I can't imagine anyone would want it in there. Seems like a simple 3yl or less or 1000cc rules would be easy to keep it out. Although they're so heavy, it might not even be that competitive.

Any word on if they're going to let the pro r race in your class? I can't imagine anyone would want it in there. Seems like a simple 3yl or less or 1000cc rules would be easy to keep it out. Although they're so heavy, it might not even be that competitive.
They are letting the Pro R's race in the Outlaw turbo class this season. They won't be competitive against 300hp Can-Ams at half the weight but I'm sure some rich fuck is going to try and buy themselves a win thinking 2.0L = twice as fast. :lmao:

They are letting the Pro R's race in the Outlaw turbo class this season. They won't be competitive against 300hp Can-Ams at half the weight but I'm sure some rich fuck is going to try and buy themselves a win thinking 2.0L = twice as fast. :lmao:
saw someone on FB was posting pics of a turbo kit for the new Popo 2.0L. Can't remember who it was though and no phone or FB allowed at work.

Well good, at least it won't be fucking up the na class.

They are badass in their own right, but the thing I saw showed a 4 seat x3 at 2k lbs and the pro r at 2600 lbs :eek:

Both bone stock they were almost dead even in a drag race. Will be interesting to see how they like a turbo on top of the 225 na hp.

What kind of hp are you expecting out of yours after all this?

Nothing new to report other than that it ain't done yet. Wife and I are in the process of buying a house and all my attention and funds have been going to that instead of racing. Other than ordering a thinner head gasket and having the 02 bungs and mounts welded on my exhaust, I haven't even looked at it in over a month. :shaking:

I did find this video on YouTube this morning of me racing at Big O Speedway at the end of last season.:smokin: Guy I battled with in both races had a gopro on his helmet and caught all the action.

Wait for it.... I like to sneak up on my opponents right about the time they think they have me beat. :grinpimp:

The second race in that video is where I jumped past him to take the lead. It's also the same race my car shut off and I ended up finishing 2nd.
:homer:

I love watching these things run and jump but always wondered with the amount of stock parts that need replaced to get them to hold together wouldn't you be money ahead by getting few select parts then just building chassis and suspension into a sorta mini trophy truck?

I love watching these things run and jump but always wondered with the amount of stock parts that need replaced to get them to hold together wouldn't you be money ahead by getting few select parts then just building chassis and suspension into a sorta mini trophy truck?

Short course rules state you must use a stock frame with Vin and shock and suspension mounting locations must remain stock. Starting with a pile of tube and building from acratch is a no go and would end up costing more money. Sourcing parts like frames, diffs, engines ect used or new gets pricey fast.

Besides the safety stuff like a cage, seat and fire extinguisher I didn't have to replace much for my Honda to be durable, these are not built like a Polaris.:flipoff2: I'm running a completely stock front suspension minus the tie rods and rack and in the rear I'm running the stock trailing arms with aftermarket radius rods and upper control arms.

Edit: I'm also still running the factory Fox shocks with tuning and springs from Double E Racing.

Last edited:
Ah yeah I guess I should have been bit more specific that I wasn't saying your honda in particular just a general SXS deal of the parts replacement, I figured maybe there was a different class for tube frame. The sticker shock is just so high on these for some reason for me, maybe just because its not a normal road legal vehicle or its a glorified golf cart as people jokingly say. I can see a project costing more nickle and dime style in long run I suppose, it just feels like your not getting a bunch for your up front cash but then everything is way more expensive to do than you ever plan.

Ah yeah I guess I should have been bit more specific that I wasn't saying your honda in particular just a general SXS deal of the parts replacement, I figured maybe there was a different class for tube frame. The sticker shock is just so high on these for some reason for me, maybe just because its not a normal road legal vehicle or its a glorified golf cart as people jokingly say. I can see a project costing more nickle and dime style in long run I suppose, it just feels like your not getting a bunch for your up front cash but then everything is way more expensive to do than you ever plan.

I do this on a very limited budget compared to what most guys spend, but all racing is expensive no matter what type it is. I'd love to build and race a Pro4 truck but I settled for the mini version because that's what I could realistically afford to do.

the sticker shock is hard to get over... but it would cost far far more to build a golf cart to even come close. look thru Poke thread here. even trying to find a wrecked one so that it can be built back better, for cheaper... is damn near impossible.

chose wisely what you start with and what you want to be able to do, at what price. its damn hard to beat the price to capability of most of these golf carts.

i started with an xp1k, and knew i was going to go can am x3. i could have bought a top end model, but decided on a used 64" turbo r to stay in budget. i've got damn near top end model money into mine after building to take what i throw at it. and its still a money pit. would be a much deeper money pit if i started out with the best model i could afford.

i know allot of people that run stock stuff and keep it together, but thats not the irate way. shit i just spent $500 on ball joints:eek:.

JR4X said it very well in another thread. - something along the lines of- ' i'm not rich, just stupid enough to waste my money on fun not fancy houses, and good choices ' (not even close to an exact quote) fun, at all cost.:flipoff2:

i've wasted far more money, on rigs that dont do half as much at 1/4 the speed. but were kinda street legal.

Short course rules state you must use a stock frame with Vin and shock and suspension mounting locations must remain stock. Starting with a pile of tube and building from acratch is a no go and would end up costing more money. Sourcing parts like frames, diffs, engines ect used or new gets pricey fast.

Besides the safety stuff like a cage, seat and fire extinguisher I didn't have to replace much for my Honda to be durable, these are not built like a Polaris.:flipoff2: I'm running a completely stock front suspension minus the tie rods and rack and in the rear I'm running the stock trailing arms with aftermarket radius rods and upper control arms.

Edit: I'm also still running the factory Fox shocks with tuning and springs from Double E Racing.

Keep in mind that short course is way different than endurance racing. Smooth ish. In endurance racing you will hit basket ball sized rocks and holes at 15-50MPH repeatedly for an hour or 3.

Stock parts holding up also depends on the racing.

Can am HP > all other sxs. I swear 1 X3 HP = 1.75 HP of any other manufacture. My 120 HP X3 regularly smoked 168HP rzrs, a 185HP polaris beat the 120HP can am one time in a straight line. It's really strange to see. I am sure the 4cyl was a marketing move that will be short lived.

I do this on a very limited budget compared to what most guys spend, but all racing is expensive no matter what type it is. I'd love to build and race a Pro4 truck but I settled for the mini version because that's what I could realistically afford to do.
Smart. Stretching sucks. I could have and did afford 4400 but I would never be repeatedly competitive with a fresh engine, trans, 3rds each race. But I could bring a fresh SxS to every race or build a new one every year. Its why I moved to a class I could do it right in.

Can am HP > all other sxs. I swear 1 X3 HP = 1.75 HP of any other manufacture. My 120 HP X3 regularly smoked 168HP rzrs, a 185HP polaris beat the 120HP can am one time in a straight line. It's really strange to see.
I think that’s completely accurate

I am sure the 4cyl was a marketing move that will be short lived.
I think you aren’t taking into account the reason why the above is the case. So in the above you are comparing a 3 cyl 1000 to a 2 cyl 1000. Your getting one more power cycle per 2 rpm. Whoever has 4 power bursts per 2 rpm even in the same CC should have the same results.

I’m not a Polaris fanboi defending them either. If I’d have waited 6 more months before buying a golf cart I think I’d have a canam instead. The only class in U4 that the 2.0 pro R is allowed in is 4400.

I think you aren’t taking into account the reason why the above is the case. So in the above you are comparing a 3 cyl 1000 to a 2 cyl 1000. Your getting one more power cycle per 2 rpm. Whoever has 4 power bursts per 2 rpm even in the same CC should have the same results.

Thanks for that. Your right, I was not accounting for it.

I thought both Polaris and can am were actually 900cc?

I think the new pro r will actually end up pretty sweet. Yes it's heavy, but it doesn't seem to wad up on tiny hits.

I thought both Polaris and can am were actually 900cc?

I think the new pro r will actually end up pretty sweet. Yes it's heavy, but it doesn't seem to wad up on tiny hits.
the Turbo motors are 925cc for Popo and I think 900cc for the CA. my 1000 XP is a 999cc

Welp, I was hoping I'd have some race reports to post this late in the season but unfortunately my engine guy decided to roll over and play dead with my engine and am just about over the whole SxS racing thing and about ready to murder someone. :mad3:

This doesn't help either.......

IMG_7223.jpg

The new track they built in Decatur to replace Texplex is a joke and Mid America is too far away to race monthly so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this thing now.

I should have just built a dirt mod and went circle track racing like I had intended to do in the first place. What a waste of time and money this has all been. :shaking:

Ouch. What’s the low down on the permanent closure?
From July:
https://utvactionmag.com/what-happened-to-texplex-park/ said:
WHAT HAPPENED TO TEXPLEX PARK?
MILLER BROTHERS LOSE THEIR HOME TRACK
Last updated Jul 7, 2022

At first it was an industry rumor that Texplex Park had been sold. Then Brian Adkinson of the Texas Outlaw UTV series sent us new dates for the remainder of the 2022 series, and all the new dates were at Oak Hill in Decatur, Texas. Bummer! Former Texplex race director Billy Champion told us, “Encroaching home developments combined with uncontrollable dust and noise issues…they were presented with an offer to turn it into another housing development.”
Dust and noise are said to be issues at Texplex Park.

Which is odd, because I was there for the second round and drove Miller Road from end to end. There are a few houses but no big developments; it’s mostly rural farmland. There are also industries around. Texplex Park has only been on our radar for a handful of years. My riding buddy Robert would tow a trailer with 12-15 bikes in it from Los Angeles to Texplex in conjunction with the Dallas Supercross. Friends would pay him, fly out to DFW, rent cars and get hotels or camp at the track. They’d ride the SX, MX, Vets and even Pitbike tracks then see the Dallas SX on Saturday. His group alone provided a lot of revenue for Midlothian over the years.

Then Texplex became a round of the Texas Quad Racing Association in 2018, and it started having UTV and 4×4 ride days soon after. It hosted corporate events like team-building adventures, became a Can-Am Uncharted Society outfitter, and started putting on UTV races in 2020. The series’ sponsorship and purses grew a lot for 2021, and Adkinson bought the series that year. The new Texas Outlaw Series grew to $275,000 for 2022. Now the Miller Brothers’ and Outlaw series home track is going to be turned into a housing project.
High-tension power lines and high-density housing developments don’t mix.

Who puts high-density housing tracts under high-tension power lines? It’s a head scratcher for sure. Worse, Texas has very little public lands, and the state Government outlawed riding in river beds years ago. When I lived there, the only public riding area was in Bastrop near Austin. Riders have to join riding clubs, many of which lease large forestry or oil/gas parcels for tracks and trails. I know a patent lawyer who bought farms and ranches south of Dallas and had Guy Cooper design and build an MX track and Dick Burleson lay out trails on the properties. It even became part of the Texas Cross Country series.

Losing Texplex Park will cost Midlothian a lot of income, at least until new residents start paying property taxes, while existing neighbors will likely see their taxes increase. Only the rich will have enough land to ride on as Metroplex residents lose this private riding park. They’ll have to drive further and burn more expensive gasoline or diesel to ride or drive off-road. Few can ride right out of the house as I do.
Will the future housing project be the first to have its own Moto/UTV Pro Shop?

I’ve seen this a few times with California’s Ascot Park, Carlsbad Raceway, Saddleback Park and Indian Dunes. Ascot had Thursday night speedway races (with Suzuki-sponsored LT500 races often won by Brian “Animal” Fry), Friday night Motocross and Saturday night sprint cars or dirt track races, plus an R/C car track and go-kart track. Neighborhood kids would ride there and race, until it sold. The tracks were demolished and the debris stood there for years before any houses were built.

The same with Carlsbad. I grew up watching the Carlsbad 500 MXGP on Wide World of Sports, and later came the made-for-TV Superbikers, which combined the drag strip, circle tracks and parts of the GP track for the start of Supermoto racing. It also had a go-kart oval, and I raced there. It sat unused for years before any houses were built. Indian Dunes reverted to farmland and parts were rented out to Hollywood for series like Dukes of Hazzard and Bah Bah Black Sheep, and movies, before the helicopter accident that killed Vic Morrow.

I sure hope Texplex doesn’t suffer the same fate – sitting unused for years. Hopefully, some super-rich enthusiast will buy Texplex Park to ensure present and future Texans have a place to ride and race. Maybe that’ll be a topic for the parents at the Youth World Championships at Oak Hill Raceway.

Aaron Z

Texplex was sold to a land developer who has no use for a race track and plans on filling it with tract houses. :mad3:
TexPlex was funded/owned by one of the owners of Vista Proppanants, they have burned some major cash out there. The jet boat shit, BMX and MTB trail systems, Vegas style "Dig This", wedding venues etc.

It doesn't really surprise me they didn't make it but the excuses do, because if the books were right it would have been sold to keep it open...

Mismanagement killed it. Everyone who tried their hand at running the place correctly was either fired by the owner or just quit.

Brian Atkinson, who owns the Outlaw Series now, had to buy it from the owner of Texplex after the first few races of last season to keep it going. The owner of Texplex wasn't impressed with the racer turn out the first few races and knew he wasn't going to be able to afford the huge payouts he was promising everyone from the race revenue, so like the shitbag he is, decided to cancel the series to get himself out of the obligation.

Top Back Refresh