What's new

Sloppy Joe's

Tin Roof

Rusted
Member Number
Loc
Iowa
Since these came up recently in CC, I was "inspired" to make some last night. It's been awhile since we've had them. Here's the build list:

1lb burger
1/2lb bacon - cut in small pieces
1/2 red onion chopped
1/2 green bell pepper chopped
8oz tomato sauce
pinch of crushed red pepper
dash of Worcestershire sauce
spoon full of minced garlic
couple spoonful's of brown sugar
ketchup and spicy brown mustard - to preferred taste, this is your "sauce"
whatever seasoning you want to add - I put in some local steak seasoning

brown the burger and bacon in a skillet, add the rest and simmer till it looks ready to eat.

What's your version?

Leftovers for lunch

1AB4CFF8-106E-4E8F-90DB-2296574D9407.jpeg

I've made them from scratch before and they came out tasting almost exactly like the canned stuff.

Probably better for you from real ingredients, but felt like a waste of time and money. And this is from someone who enjoys cooking and tinkering and making recipes "my own"

I posted this recipe a while back and it got taken down. Not sure why? Maybe because of the Philly?
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
1 Bell Pepper
! lbs ground beef
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, diced
8 ounces mushrooms
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1 tablespoon Cornstarch
1 cup Beef Broth
8 ounces Provolone Cheese
Hamburger buns

Brown ground beef Remove
Add butter, onions, bell pepper and mushrooms Brown
Add beef back in the pan
Small cup mix beef broth and cornstarch together
Add Ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Salt, Pepper, beef broth/cornstarch into pan
Cook until mixture is slightly liquid
Turn off heat and add cheese
I add cheese to taste and put more out there if anyone wants to add it to the sandwich.

We have done this recipe a few times. They always turn out nice. We do add chopped onions and chopped bell pepper to the mix. Gets a nice smoky flavor. We let it simmer on the smoker, or the regular grill with an indirect wood fire. (Oak, Hickory, Etc.)

Ingredients​

• 3 lbs Ground Beef ( chuck )
  • SPG seasoning (Salt, pepper, garlic)
  • 6 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp Mustard powder or prepared mustard
  • BBQ Sauce
  • 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • Beer
  • 1 1/2 tsp Onion powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
  • 2 cups Ketchup
  • English Muffins

Directions​

1. Season the Ground beef, we used our SPG, mix the seasoning in well and make some 1/2 pound meat balls and press them down into a burger patty.
  2. Place the meat balls on the grill over direct heat and sear them on both sides, don’t cook them all the way through, you just wan to get that good seared flavor.
  3. Take a good heavy pan like cast iron, add the burgers and break them down into pieces , add the brown sugar, garlic powder and onion powder, mix well
  4. Add the ketchup and mustard, add about 1 cup of BBQ sauce. add some more moisture using the beer, you can use water instead if you want, bring the mix to simmer and let cook for about 20 minutes.
  5. Toast Up the English Muffin buns and butter them up, add the Sloppy Joe mix on top and enjoy.

Top Back Refresh