Sliding Gate Motor

72blazer

Marion Cobretti
Member Number
Loc
The Real South Texas
Recommend me a sliding gate motor:

Gate: 21x7’, ~1000-1200 lbs if I had to guess

looking for suggestions for a motor to move it. Prices seem to be all over the place. Everyone recommends LiftMaster. I’ve seen some off brands for way less but is this one of those definite you get what you pay for things...

Am I way off base going with a solar power source? Power would have to be run to the location about 240’.

In

my parents got a sliding gate installed. It was basically free and now I have to build a 3 rail fence, but am going to need to have an opener on the gate at some point

You going to use a chain type one? I have no experience with this, but it seems like solar and a decent battery would be fine for power. For the motor, I think I’d be tempted to buy whatever is made for this. A person could probably adapt a garage door opener to do it, but you’d be building a housing and all that. And you’d probably rather have just a 12v motor.

You going to use a chain type one? I have no experience with this, but it seems like solar and a decent battery would be fine for power. For the motor, I think I’d be tempted to buy whatever is made for this. A person could probably adapt a garage door opener to do it, but you’d be building a housing and all that. And you’d probably rather have just a 12v motor.

I'd go that way. The controls are already worked out. Put it in a plastic dog house and you're done.

Yes chain driven. From people I’ve talked to, solar seems to work fine up to the 3-4 year mark. That’s my concern is having to change power plants often.

Whats your 20 Marion.
I have an swing gate operator that needs some TLC you can have for nada.

I worked for a gate company in LA for many years so do have some experience in this area.

12v harbor freight atv winch with the drum adapted to a sprocket and a remote winch controller. some solar panels a good deep cycle battery and a charge controller. Get to fabbing! :flipoff2:

12v harbor freight atv winch with the drum adapted to a sprocket and a remote winch controller. some solar panels a good deep cycle battery and a charge controller. Get to fabbing! :flipoff2:

I was gonna say why not an old chevy starter motor.

Too much current for the distance the gate is from power source.

Unless he wants to run a complete solar setup to power it.

Beyond that its over kill.

I was gonna say why not an old chevy starter motor.

the real question is how often you plan on cycling the gate. that would dictate if solar is feasible.

the batteries they use in operators are garbage, the gate company i worked for made a lot of money swapping those stupid things out. the newer units we installed and worked were running off the batteries. the unit just charged the batteries with the incoming power opposed to the older units that had a main 120v motor and the backup was a small dc motor for when the power failed. (this was around 4 years ago, its was an ok job made miserable by sitting in traffic)

Whats your 20 Marion.
I have an swing gate operator that needs some TLC you can have for nada.

I worked for a gate company in LA for many years so do have some experience in this area.

I’m down in the south most point of Texas. :eek::laughing: Edinburg. Not sure if it’s worth shipping?

the real question is how often you plan on cycling the gate. that would dictate if solar is feasible.

the batteries they use in operators are garbage, the gate company i worked for made a lot of money swapping those stupid things out. the newer units we installed and worked were running off the batteries. the unit just charged the batteries with the incoming power opposed to the older units that had a main 120v motor and the backup was a small dc motor for when the power failed. (this was around 4 years ago, its was an ok job made miserable by sitting in traffic)

I’d say 3-4 times a day......

240’ isn’t an unreasonable distance to run 120v power if you decide to go that route.

^ I think another reason OP wants solar is in the case of power outage. It is self contained.

ATV winch / solar idea above sounds pretty decent. Geared low and steady.

^ I think another reason OP wants solar is in the case of power outage. It is self contained.

ATV winch / solar idea above sounds pretty decent. Geared low and steady.
I see it being a good budget route but what about opening and closing from multiple vehicles?

No that one wouldnt be worth it unless you were local.

I do have a gear box I havent made use in 30+ years that could help in your endeavors if you have a reversible DC motor.

Its a power in that turns 90° and has a shaft for a chain sprocket to run on.

Its steel or cast iron so not light but would provide the base for what your wanting to do.

IE a chain drive operator where the gate is 90° to the road its closing off.

Ill send pics if you like this evening once I locate the box.

Email me about this one.

Most likely weighs 30-40 lbs.

I’m down in the south most point of Texas. :eek::laughing: Edinburg. Not sure if it’s worth shipping?

Last edited:
I am about to design a small gate to attach to the side of a split sliding gate that has a total span of 27 feet. So two 13.5x5 foot gates that will be ran on a tube system with 4 caster wheels set up in pairs. I think the gate motors are going to have a swing arm style mechanism think self closing door arm that is usually above a commercial door.I need to go check the drawings again.

I was totally wrong it is going to be chain driven according to the architect.

https://www.liftmaster.com/24vdc-hig...ator/p/CSL24UL

Last edited:
Hydraulic motor to drive chain sprocket powered by 12vdc hydraulic power unit, powered by car or truck battery kept charged by solar or battery charger.

I am about to design a small gate to attach to the side of a split sliding gate that has a total span of 27 feet. So two 13.5x5 foot gates that will be ran on a tube system with 4 caster wheels set up in pairs. I think the gate motors are going to have a swing arm style mechanism think self closing door arm that is usually above a commercial door.I need to go check the drawings again.

I was totally wrong it is going to be chain driven according to the architect.

https://www.liftmaster.com/24vdc-hig...ator/p/CSL24UL

That’s nice. What kind of price tag does that unit have? Didn’t see it in the link?

240ft isnt shit to trench you sissy :flipoff2:​​​​​​

But a battery set up on solar charger will do just fine, especially if you switch out batteries every so often.

Guess this would help. This is basically what it would look like if I ran wiring from the “x”/ breaker panel to the front where the motor would probably be. Driveway is set in place.

7E092E2F-0B72-4309-B52F-C09ADB80B5DE.jpeg

Sounds like that would look like shit :flipoff2:

this at the entrance of my property off a semi busy 2 lane road. I want to keep it presentable.

How about one of those big fake rocks that they put over well pumps?

Ive had a solar gate for over ten years now. I have to screw with it every now and then, but not that often. I sure wouldn't give it up. My biggest complaint is how slow it opens. I'm thinking about modifying it to work off of a air cylinder. Then I could get in and out like Batman. If I end up doing it, I'll make a thread on it.

Top Back Refresh