What's new

Sleeping in loaded toy hauler?

Geopimp1

Member Number
I’ve been looking around the web trying to find an answer to this but haven’t been able to. The family is looking to buy an rv in the next year and know that at some point in traveling we will have to boondock at a Walmart or Cracker Barrel or truck stop.

Has anyone used the bunk in a toy hauler with a sxs loaded? Or have you just had to utilize the couches/ dinette in the living space?

fucking sucks. in the small ones.
us, fam of 4, just picked up one of the cheaper yet biggish ones. 33ish ft 5th with a slide. the slide makes it way mo better. we can (kinda) sleep loaded. not great but works. the last trailer we couldn't even get in the fridge. eff that.

only some you can use the bunk, and some have bunus bunks in weird places. also the type of bunk, my new one can only work up or down (with adult size people), not inbetween like many others. my kids are 4 and 5yo so it'll work for 5-10yrs for me. last trialer i tried to spend less and go small, was frustrated the whole time.

never forget all travel trailers are cheap built garbage. going to be problems. i've still got the cheapest rig in the camp crews im normally with, i spent 39.600, the bulshit charges put that up to 41,600 + sales tax.

new trailer is a 355lrle XLR (cheapest budget trailer you can get, of the size/type), old trailer was a Rubicon 2100. most of the others have all recently upgraded to momentums some as much as 130k$, i'm not spending that type of money. even with the new one, i have less $ in my truck(ford 6.2 gas), trailer, and sxs(x3 turboR), than others have in their truck alone.

if you have a wife that can deal with it. your best option will always be to upfit an enclosed trailer. i've got a 24' enclosed i'd like nothing more than to but a nice shower and shitter in,(even have all the stuff saved in the shops loft) but wifey is a princess that may be due to trade in.

if i need more room i will just unload the buggy. i dont keep anything but the buggy in the toy space and can go in and out in 10min. i wont ever have another toy hauler that we have to pack shit all over the place and is a whole fucking production to unload. the biggest momentum we travel with is a production... i had to make a rack just so he can load 2 buggys in it. the garage is crawl around space only. to quick sleep while traveling they sleep the front bedroom the weird bonus bunk thing and on the sofa and floor. its got at least 3 pop outs to make that all work.

tldr; nope they all suck. if you can do a motor home and a trailer behind do that. i wish i could.

Last edited:
Really that is too hard of question to generalize.
Some models you can get to the bunks, others you cannot.

Get one with a separate garage. I have spent the night at Walmart quite a few times in the bro-hauler with a SXS loaded in the back.

I've slept in mine with a truck inside. Can't use much of anything inside with how short my goose is, but you can still get to the beer fridge and the ladder to the bedroom. Works well in a pinch.

Bench seat what luxury. :flipoff2:

I used to sleep across the seats in my daycab 379. Stuff some coats and random junk between the seats and sleep. I dont miss that.
Ah padded seats, what a luxury.
Back in my day we used to have a metal seat with no padding on it, and if you wanted to sleep while moving you had to balance yourself across the back of both horses so the other guy could drive :lmao:

Aaron Z

We have separate garage for the dirt bikes. I raised the bottom hapi jack bed to just clear the handlebars. My daughter sleeps up there on lay overs.

I drain the bikes fuel tanks and carbs before loading to limit fuel vapor issues.

Top Back Refresh