What's new

Skittles aka: Timber Tiger

Mr Stubs

Taste my rainbow, bitches
Member Number
Loc
Land of liquid sunshine
Well let’s see if I can get back into the groove of a build thread. This is not so much a build thread but more of a continuation of my old Timber Tiger build on Pirate. I lost the ability to post pics easily and my documentation stopped.

So Skittles has been burning fuel for a bit now. Feel free to ask questions if ya want... I’m sure I’ll post up a few action pics from the last few years also.

So it’s in the shop now. Finally broke a semi float 35 spline 1541H shaft and it’s time to replace it. I had these shafts turned down by Jantz Engineering but I don’t think I’ll do that with my replacement.

Last edited:
EC09B382-4BC1-4112-B86D-D47C91A73AAC.jpeg

Here you can see the shaft bent. I had a quick vid showing the spiral crack running around the shaft also, but I’m not going to take the time to figure out how to post it.

I think the reason for the break was a side load hit. I had a aggressive downhill drop that kicked me over to that side when I landed.

Well my newer air/hydraulic press is actually shorter than my last hydraulic press. Not much room to press on the bearing and retainer without a monkey show of tooling involved.

So I used a tube slide hammer instead. Bearing went on easy, next is the retainer.

I like to see how much twist I get in my shafts. It’s amazing to see. My other shaft has over 1/4” twist in it, and has been that way for a few seasons now.

F4CF72E5-507D-4E77-B985-9BE0864A5A8F.jpeg

I had those same shafts and was curious how much they would take to break.

I figured if I ever broke one, I'd have Dutchman or moser make some copies.

​​​But then again, maybe it would be better to just put those funds towards full float.

How to do you like the 4cyl/auto? What about the gearing? You have the 2.7/2.0 atlas iirc? What ratio do you usually use when doing technical stuff?

Oh, also, do you miss leaf springs? :flipoff2:

I had those same shafts and was curious how much they would take to break.

I figured if I ever broke one, I'd have Dutchman or moser make some copies.

​​​But then again, maybe it would be better to just put those funds towards full float.

How to do you like the 4cyl/auto? What about the gearing? You have the 2.7/2.0 atlas iirc? What ratio do you usually use when doing technical stuff?

Oh, also, do you miss leaf springs? :flipoff2:

I don’t remember exactly what the ratio is supposed to be. I got it used from some east coast Toyota guy of this board.

As for the auto/turbo 4cyl? I can’t complain for what it is and my driving style. Runs harder in the sand than my buddy’s 4.3.

I crawl in the lowest t case gear setting all the time, I never pull my sticks all the way back. All I ever do is jump from low to high range in the doubler box. I have had it in high range before. I can’t get it out of second gear on the gravel roads, it is just WAY to fast to drive safely.

I don’t remember exactly what the ratio is supposed to be. I got it used from some east coast Toyota guy of this board.

As for the auto/turbo 4cyl? I can’t complain for what it is and my driving style. Runs harder in the sand than my buddy’s 4.3.

I crawl in the lowest t case gear setting all the time, I never pull my sticks all the way back. All I ever do is jump from low to high range in the doubler box. I have had it in high range before. I can’t get it out of second gear on the gravel roads, it is just WAY to fast to drive safely.

Gotcha. Kinda what I figured. I don't think I'd even own a trail rig without a ~2:1 low range.

I'm messing around with a suzuki with a 4cyl auto and a 4.16 case, it wasn't low enough. So I got a 6.4 gear, but have yet to run it. There isn't much info out there on 4cyl/auto gearing.

Why the name change? :grinpimp:
Because true nicknames are given by friends, not by the person.

On her maiden voyage down to Sand Hollow, a friend blew by the rest stop I was in doing 80... he later told me that he glanced over at the crawlers in the rest stop and made the comment about my crawler looking like a “bag of Skittles”...

Comment stuck with the crew over our week long stay. She came home with a name change.

Well I said fuck it... the third has already had a steel chunk beating from being driven out of the trail. It got the hose and a quick lube before re-installation.

7C5F7A0E-4536-47AC-BD66-92524F0111F7.jpeg

0B801EB7-C1EE-4F8C-A0DA-F9A0AD56BCAB.jpeg

So what’s the verdict on right hand drive? Cool novelty? Strange transition between tow rig and buggy? Totally worth it based on packaging?

Top Back Refresh