What's new

Siphining fuel from a JK

snout

Rebels Til We Die
Member Number
Loc
Placer County
Anyone have any luck being able to siphon fuel FROM their JK? Mine is a '15 JKUR and so far, the tubing I'm using seems to get stuck right around where the neck bends. I'm guessing there's some kind of anti-siphon apparatus in there. Any clue on if this can be bypassed? I guess this is more meth-core than hardcore tech. Sorry.

Fuel pump out? why now just undo the line at the engine and turn the key?

Or do JKs have some sort of built in gayness?

It's a pretty long fuel fill line, I don't think it'd be easy to get one through even if you could get it past the neck.

If you just pop the fill line off at the tank, I'm 90% sure it's just a big wide open hole.

how is the fuel hat set up on a 2012+ does it look like this?

20200721_071837.jpg
20200721_071840.jpg

I believe not far after the bend it also necks down. The hose that runs across to the tank isn't very large. If you're using a garden hose, it's never going to make it. Maybe 1/2" line would make it, I really don't know.

As others have said, your best bet is probably just disconnecting the line off the engine and let the pump do it's thing. No fuel in the mouth either.

Yeah.. fuck all that.
I wanted to drop the tank but it's filled to the tippy-top, I have no tail lights at the moment so I'd be attracting too much attention from the local traffic-constabulary if I went out and drove around in circles.

Disconnect fuel line at the motor. Jumper fuel pump relay pump into gas can.

Disconnect fuel line at the motor. Jumper fuel pump relay pump into gas can.

Isn't the fuel pump relay burned onto the TIPM board? Just getting near the TIPM gives me the heebie-jeebies. It will read my thoughts and break.
Probably just going to have to get my fat ass under there and see if I can pop the filler pretzel and drain it from there. I'm getting too old for this shit.

Isn't the fuel pump relay burned onto the TIPM board? Just getting near the TIPM gives me the heebie-jeebies. It will read my thoughts and break.
Probably just going to have to get my fat ass under there and see if I can pop the filler pretzel and drain it from there. I'm getting too old for this shit.

Shit maybe I’m just relaying what I’ve done on the older stuff myself. Then maybe try to find wires that go to the pump and get 12 volts to it?

Disconnect the hose from the fuel rail......................................and turn the key to ON. The pump will run till the fuel pressure hits it's set point to open the bypass. It will never bypass because the line is going into your fuel can, lawnmower, bathtub, whatever. Turn off key when your floor is covered in a fire hazard.

Simple and as safe as anything else we do.:flipoff2:

Side note:

I jumped my fuel pump to empty the tank after I had pulled it and it was sitting on the floor of my shop. I filled 5gal cans for the mower. It actually takes a while to fill a 5gal gas can. My point being, it's not like it will shoot fuel 10' out of the line, it dribbles out, maybe a couples inches at most. It can only create any kind of real pressure when it's closed off.

I removed my tank when it was about 3/4 full. It did come down without issue with a single well placed floor jack. You're lowering the skid and the tank at the same time. You just have to lower it enough to get in there to break all the connections first, then bring it all the way down.

I was worried about it flopping over and making a mess........................it turned out to be a non issue.

Disconnect the hose from the fuel rail......................................and turn the key to ON. The pump will run till the fuel pressure hits it's set point to open the bypass. It will never bypass because the line is going into your fuel can, lawnmower, bathtub, whatever. Turn off key when your floor is covered in a fire hazard.

Simple and as safe as anything else we do.:flipoff2:

Side note:

I jumped my fuel pump to empty the tank after I had pulled it and it was sitting on the floor of my shop. I filled 5gal cans for the mower. It actually takes a while to fill a 5gal gas can. My point being, it's not like it will shoot fuel 10' out of the line, it dribbles out, maybe a couples inches at most. It can only create any kind of real pressure when it's closed off.

I've dropped it before -- it was just empty last time : )
I feel like an idiot. I just bought OBD JScan to make some changes. It will allow me to trigger the Fuel Pump Relay Control State. Double Derp.

But like you, I've been nervous about having 150+ lbs of tank and fuel flopping over.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh