What's new

Sidekick P/S issues

Xoloski

Member Number
1998 Sidekick Sport 1.8 liter. 240K miles.
Steering makes racket and whines when I attempt to turn the wheel.
I replaced the fluid and the noises got worse.
I replace the pump with a Ebay unit with (supposedly) 60K miles, no change so I sent it back.
I replaced the steering sector with another in good shape, no change,
I tried Jeg's Dextron ATF fluid, Valvoline P/S pump fluid, Prestone pump fluid, and NAPA Dextron III fluid, no changes.
At this point I am thinking that I had two bad steering pumps. what are the odds of having two faulty steering pumps.
These is nothing more in the system except metal & rubber hoses and they are good.
Never had such P/S issues before!

Did you put the front end up on Jackstands and move the wheels lock to lock to get the air out and check for binding?

Thanks for the suggestion,
Yes, I did that and drove it around the neighborhood for a while.
I also replaced front struts,
replaced one wheel bearing, repacked the other, rebuilt the hubs.
With linkage disconnected I checked for any binding of steering, there was none.

Hoses hooked up correctly? does it make noise immediately or after it warms up?

Hoses are correct. Makes noise immediately, more/louder when turning the wheel, after complete warm up, when driving.
Power assist is minimal.
Vacuum bleeding at 20" hg shows no leaks.

240k miles, can't rule out a blockage in a hose, cooler, steerbox etc. Correct pump, turning the correct direction?

Appreciate the suggestions, they are distinct possibilities. The '98 Sidekick sport is completely stock. I got it from the original buyer who drove it 50 miles back and forth to work every day between Hereford and Fort Huachuca. He had custom wheels installed since new with caps covering the lock-out hubs. The previous owner told me that he never had the unit in four wheel drive. Judging by the grease in the hubs I believe it. He gave me a maintenance log showing that the oil had been changed every 3K miles at Brake Masters in Sierra Vista, AZ . The previous owner said the Suzuki only left Cochise County once for a trip to the VA clinic in Tucson. I was looking for Sidekick parts for my '93 when the owner offered to sell this vehicle to me now that he is retired. The condition and originality are the reasons I bought it.

Remedy:
Yesterday I attached my electric vacuum pump to the filled reservoir of the sidekick. With the wheels off the ground, vacuum pump pulling 15 inches of mercury, engine running at idle, I turned the steering wheel lock to lock for 7 minutes. The Dextron III fluid level dropped about 1.5 inches in the reservoir, there was no foaming or aeration. After refilling the reservoir and testing, I found all of the steering pump noises were gone, steering returned to normal and functioned as it should.

Conclusion:
All steering issues were caused by air trapped in the hydraulic system to include Pump, lines, and gear. With the engine running the hydraulic fluid would aerate and foam up, retaining air in the system. Under a vacuum, with the engine running the hydraulic fluid was depleted of air thus removing all the air from the system.
I have never had to remove air from a hydraulic system to this extreme in my life, and I have worked with a lot of hydraulic systems.

I still maintain however that, there is no such thing as vacuum, only absence of air pressure.

Thank you for your assistance!

Top Back Refresh