What's new

Sidedick sport build

Alex

ZukiGang
Member Number
So here is the start of my new project to replace my samurai, picked this turd up for 360 dollars and drove a 14 hour round trip to go get it. I wanted something a little bigger and more comfortable to drive on road than the samurai, and something I could be comfortable towing a small teardrop camper behind (which will be the next thing I build after the sidekick)

I've been gathering parts to build a 4 door for a while, I have a aerio 2.3, 84 toyota front axle with IFS hubs, IFS rear axle, 5.29 gears, ect ect.

Plan is to use some fox qs3 2.5 10 inch and 12 inch travel coilovers from a Maverick x3 I picked up on the cheap. 3 link front and single triangulated 4 link rear. Plan is to run 35s

Picked the sidekick sport since the 2.3 will be a direct drop in with some rummaging around in the Suzuki parts bin, the factory 1.8 has a hole in the block. Somehow the a/c still works, and it starts, runs, and drives just fine other than missing a whole piston and rod.

Going to get the engine swapped and drive it around and wheel for a bit on these 30" tires while I gather the rest of the parts I need for the suspension.

photo14034.jpg

photo14035.jpg

photo14036.jpg

photo14037.jpg

photo14038.jpg

photo14039.jpg

photo14040.jpg

Got the engine pulled tonight, waiting on gaskets and parts to install the 2.3. ripped the interior and carpet out too, super happy to only find one small spot of rust on the floor I need to patch on the passenger side. Thing is pretty clean for a michigan sidekick

photo14127.jpg

photo14142.jpg

What is your plan to get the trans and engine to communicate?

With the sidekick sport being a j series 1.8, all I have to do is swap the accessories, intake, and distributor over to the j series 2.3 aerio engine and use the 2.3 injectors to get it to work. The 1.8 wiring harness and computer will run the 2.3 no problem according to people who have done the swap.

With the sidekick sport being a j series 1.8, all I have to do is swap the accessories, intake, and distributor over to the j series 2.3 aerio engine and use the 2.3 injectors to get it to work. The 1.8 wiring harness and computer will run the 2.3 no problem according to people who have done the swap.

Gotcha, I don't know much about the 1.8, they are a weird beast. 1 year only? Iirc

I'm guessing the same goes for the 2.0? I plan to keep an eye out for a 2.3, especially if it's basically a direct swap.

Let me know if you need any 2nd tracker parts for this project :flipoff2:

Gotcha, I don't know much about the 1.8, they are a weird beast. 1 year only? Iirc

I'm guessing the same goes for the 2.0? I plan to keep an eye out for a 2.3, especially if it's basically a direct swap.

Let me know if you need any 2nd tracker parts for this project :flipoff2:

2.0 should be the exact same deal for swapping it. Just use your 2.0 parts like the oil pan, pickup tube, intake, cooling stuffs, ect. And it should be a direct drop in. The 1.8 was a 2 year only thing only available in the sport models. I lucked out finding the 2.3 in a car at a scrap yard, they torched it all out for me and I got it for 200 bucks. Transmission was cooked, but the engine looks to be in excellent shape. Can't wait to get to drive this turd box :smokin:

Last edited:
Ya, I will say the 2.0 moves the big 4 door pretty well, the 2.3 is quite a bit more power too.

You planning on just running the 4.24 gears? Or have something special up your sleeve for dual cases?

Going to make up some SYEs and upgrade to 4.24s, unless I come up with a dual case setup. I don't have a tig welder at the moment to weld the case, but I do have access to a bridgeport to make adapters and whatnot.

On another note, according to the gear calculator I should be around 2900rpm at 70 with 35s and 5.29 gears, not sure if that will be high enough rpm for the 2.3 to cruise happily, I guess we will see.

Still waiting on gaskets, so I decided to install the snorkel. Not that I need it, but I've always wanted one.

photo14433.jpg

Gonna look a bit like mine!! Love it. But mine as the 1.6 16 valves and is pretty much beat up!! 😅

photo18586.jpg

photo18587.jpg

photo18588.jpg

I never understood why people post pictures of their junk, in someone else’s build thread. 🤷‍♂️

Welp, finally got back to focusing on this project. Plans changed a little, 2.3 is in, just have to button everything up and fire it up. Finally got a lift like I've always wanted, should make working on this shit a little easier with my broken ass back.
20201220_002931.jpg

Basically the new plans consist of making my own EDSES style strut delete kit, make adjustable rear upper and lower arms, lockers, putting some nice shocks under it, and run it on 31s. Then some standard armor shit, like bumpers with a swingout tire carrier and a winch up front. That and sliders/skid plates. Basically make this a reliable trail runner. The coilovers and toyota axles are going on the turbo 16v samurai build, which I'll make a build thread for when I start on that.

Sweet! Whats EDSES?

My buddy has a 2.3 5 speed swapped Sidekick Sport, formerly a 1.8L. That thing scoots even with 4 dudes inside :laughing:

Sweet! Whats EDSES?

My buddy has a 2.3 5 speed swapped Sidekick Sport, formerly a 1.8L. That thing scoots even with 4 dudes inside :laughing:

The calmini "extreme duty strut elimination system"
If they actually delivered them instead of stealing your money I would just buy the kit so I don't have to fuck with it.

I'm excited to see how this thing scoots. Mine is a 4 speed auto though.

6b8e5fb45f222cd057d439c4459e650a.jpg

20201228_222810.jpg
Been having some fun in the light dusting of snow we got, the 2.3 is definitely a good match for what I want to do with it. Now to move on to suspension and lockers, got some parts ordered. Just doing my classic ghetto long travel strut setup for now until I decide how I'm going about the double a-arm setup.

That looks like a good fit. Everything seem happy in the ECM? No check engine light? Seem to run and drive like stock vehicle with more powa?

That looks like a good fit. Everything seem happy in the ECM? No check engine light? Seem to run and drive like stock vehicle with more powa?

CEL is on but I have not investigated yet, I'm assuming it's from the air intake sensor not being plugged in. ECM doesn't seem to know any different, I never got to drive it with the 1.8 with more than 3 cylinders but it is far more powerful than my 16v swapped samurai even with the 4 speed auto soaking some of the power up.

You need a Toyota cv kit by chance?

That would be something I would be interested in. What's the details? I've heard of the kits but haven't seen one.

I also have a Toyota IFS front diff and shafts and whatnot, so that may be a consideration to just use that shit when building the IFS setup

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh