What's new

Side shit

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Had this thing over on another board

https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/some-kind-of-wannabe-sxs-build-side-by-sidekick.2676146/

After letting it sit for quite a while, then the shiny new sxs turning out to be even less reliable than this pos, I pulled it out.

Did some cleaning

IMG_20200604_174218_01.jpg

Went to put another set of CV's in and found this :laughing:

IMG_20200605_100232_01.jpg

Nice! i should post up my new little SXSIDEKICK project. There seems to be a few among us...

Nice! i should post up my new little SXSIDEKICK project. There seems to be a few among us...

I really wanted a 2 door or Sami, but this kinda fell into my lap. The 4 door wheel base sucks for small tires, but it does give it the extra wtf factor. I took it to Fordyce and we were telling people it was a rav4, crv or kia sportage :laughing:

The more I look at this thing, I really think the Toyota diff install was a fail.

Solid mounting it was a bad idea (wasn't concerned about vibration) I think the give from rubber mounts helps parts live more than I realized.

The cv length was a big oversight.

4 door wheel base and 8" frame height sucks.

This was never supposed to be a big project, more just slap tires, lockers and small lift on.

Although it was fun to have on the trail, looked very out of place.

As of now I have a deal with Lil,yota to pick up a Sami from him. These tires and wheels, plus maybe some other items will make their way into the Sami. :grinpimp:​​​​​​​

So I got the Sami and it is more than filling the shoes of what I tried to do with this thing.

I really miss having a capable trail rig. I have a pair of 1 ton axles from my 4runner, I have some rear leafs and nice 2.0x14 fox resi smooth body shocks, a psc jeep box and assist ram, link parts, ect.

I found a 1.8 5 spd which has the hydraulic bell housing I need for a RingR to use my dual Toyota cases from my 4runner. (23 spline marlin adapter, 4.7s and chromo outputs)

I'm thinking about throwing everything together and have a big tire big axle, little motor rig again :laughing:

Stand by for fender hacking pics. :flipoff2:

Meh, you are blowing smoke, never finish it, look shiney penny.:flipoff2:

Yes air shocks.

​​​​​​If I had some decent leafs I might have gone that route. Plus I've never owned a linked crawler before, so wanted to give it a shot.

Axle is probably higher than it will realistically go, but I figured I'd plan for as much up as possible. As it sits its ~8" up:grinpimp:

Leafs are easy, get some tg 5" front toyota leafs. Chop the Frame off at the motor mount, French the rear hanger flush into the frame, then mount the shackles up as high as you need to, to get the ride height you want.

Or leave the frame and go spua.
​​​​

Last edited:
I dare you to use the factory rack and pinion. :flipoff2:

I dare you to use the factory rack and pinion. :flipoff2:

When I was half ass contemplating a small straight axle to run 32-35s I briefly thought about how to make that work :laughing:​​​​​​

Mounted on the axle with super slip steering shaft? Or mounted to the frame with erector set linkage?

Just connect both ends of the rack together with a bracket and run the tie rod off one end lol

This whole "cut everything off and build the frame wherever you need it" sure is a lot harder with a steering box and panhard bar. :laughing:​​​​​​

I don't know if I'm building suspension around the frame and steering, or building the frame around the steering and suspension, or building the steering....... I guess probably all of the above :flipoff2:

IMG_20200802_163758.jpg
IMG_20200802_163805.jpg

So, I'm trying to use as much of what I have as I can. Steering box, ram and links, came from my father in laws jeep. He kept the pump and res for his full hydro.

I figured why not give the stock pump a shot, worst case it will be slow and I'll upgrade later.

I really don't like custom parts like brake line or steering lines. 95% of trail rigs out there run - 6 jic lines at least from the box to the ram. So I figured I'd search out an adapter fitting for the stock pump.

It uses a large banjo bolt right off the pump with what I figured out was 16mm x1.5 threads.

IMG_20200803_175045.jpg

Looking for m16x1.5 to - 6 jic turned up mostly aluminum fittings or different style 16mm fitting like inverted flair.

I finally figured out that - 6 jic is the same as 3/8" jic. And found what I needed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CUR5C2G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_54mkFbD1FK16X?tag=91812054244-20

Not sure what I'm going to do for a reservoir yet, might just make something out of steel tube or sheet metal.

This sure did escalate quickly. :laughing:

As far as JIC/AN fittings go.... The sizes are in 16th's. 6/16's = 3/8, 12/16's = 3/4 ect. Easy peasy.

Want to have your mind blown, try working with BSPP threads and DIN hydraulic fittings. Its soooooo much fun.... :mad3:

Edit: That steering box is worth more than the whole Tracker. :lmao:

:flipoff2:

This sure did escalate quickly. :laughing:

As far as JIC/AN fittings go.... The sizes are in 16th's. 6/16's = 3/8, 12/16's = 3/4 ect. Easy peasy.

Want to have your mind blown, try working with BSPP threads and DIN hydraulic fittings. Its soooooo much fun.... :mad3:

Edit: That steering box is worth more than the whole Tracker. :lmao:

:flipoff2:

Good to know.

I know a little about odd fittings, I broke a fitting on my buddies 150 blade runner. I looked like a "I'll stop by xx in the morning" and turned out to be a special order, total pain in the ass. There aren't many kobelcos around here s most places don't stock bspp shit.

Every part on it is worth more than it. Solid knuckles/artec arms, 35 spline chromos and lock outs, 2.0x14 fox resi factory series shocks, 42 mtrs on beadlocks (not sure if those are mine or not yet) ect :laughing:
​​​​​​

As far as the steering goes there is really no reason the frame cant be raised at that point is there?

Nope, that's where it's going. What's funny is because of the drag link and panhard, the pass frame will be different. Not that I care, but that might bug some people :laughing:

Got the jic fitting today, threads and crush washer are perfect. I did feel the need to drill it out to 5/16" because the center of it was like 3/16" ID :homer:

Top Back Refresh