What's new

Side Mount Battery Terminal Posts

PAToyota

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
South Central Pennsylvania, USA
Ok, I have a dual (top & side) post battery. I'm hooking the main cables up to the top posts, but want to use the side posts for auxiliary shit.

What I'd like is something like this that screws into the side posts:
Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 09.52.57 PM Jun.21.22.png

But all I can find is 5/16" and I need 3/8-16 to screw into the battery.

I've been searching for awhile and most of what I'm finding is either this - or this:
Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 09.54.39 PM Jun.21.22.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 09.54.47 PM Jun.21.22.png

Does what I want exist? What search terms do I need to use?

It looks like the size listing is for the end that you would hook cables to, rather than the end that he wants to screw into the battery side post. That's why it lists 3/8" and M10

I would probably pick up a set of those in 3/8 and then get some 3/8 threaded brass rod from mcmaster and just make it work. On my brother's CJ we just bought some side post bolts from oreilly's and stacked washers until it would tighten down. :homer:

Thanks.

Honestly, all I was getting was 5/16" (and 1/4") results. Nothing 3/8" was coming up.

It looks like the size listing is for the end that you would hook cables to, rather than the end that he wants to screw into the battery side post. That's why it lists 3/8" and M10

Well, 3/8" is 9.525mm, so I'm thinking they're saying either size.

Will's result led to this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09N915FKG

Which has this picture, so it looks like either of them would work for what I want.
Stud.png

By the way, now Amazon is giving me all kinds of 3/8" choices that I swear were not there in my searches over the past few days.

I would probably pick up a set of those in 3/8 and then get some 3/8 threaded brass rod from mcmaster and just make it work. On my brother's CJ we just bought some side post bolts from oreilly's and stacked washers until it would tighten down. :homer:

Yeah, I have stainless bolts and washers but had something fall and hit the positive bolt and the body and short out, so I was looking for something insulated. :emb2:

It's called a bolt, then you use a nut to suck it down instead of stacking washers like a smooth brain.

Theres also such things as a plastic hex cap to use as an insulator.

It's called a bolt, then you use a nut to suck it down instead of stacking washers like a smooth brain.

It's called a ⅜ x 1" ss set screw...

With a vacuum cap from your collection jammed over it as the insulator.

I prefer using the side post for the starter cables and chucking a set of “military style” terminals on the top post for hooking other stuff to. I think it’s cleaner and I’m unhooking my winch a lot more than my starter cables, so I’m not worried about stripping out the threads in the terminal by being a gorilla.
Be sure the side posts are rated for the draw. Not all are.

Been doing that for years.

3/8" bolt with nut. Screw bolt into side terminal, use as stud. Tighten nut down until it's tight. Use flat washer underneath.

Edit: Dammit TRINDU somehow I skipped your post? Beat me to it:flipoff2:

Yeah, I have stainless bolts and washers but had something fall and hit the positive bolt and the body and short out, so I was looking for something insulated. :emb2:

For all the people that keep saying to use a 3/8" bolt... :flipoff2:

I picked up a couple of ones Will Scarlet linked. Unfortunately, they seem to be more the M10 than the 3/8" and wouldn't thread into the side post of the battery. They've been sitting on my desk and I just have to grab a die and rethread them for 3/8" at the end.

For all the people that keep saying to use a 3/8" bolt... :flipoff2:

I picked up a couple of ones Will Scarlet linked. Unfortunately, they seem to be more the M10 than the 3/8" and wouldn't thread into the side post of the battery. They've been sitting on my desk and I just have to grab a die and rethread them for 3/8" at the end.
So these Are not 3/8-16 thread?

Top Back Refresh