What's new

Side hustle idea

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Been doing garden tilling the last couple years using my step Dad's Deere 5400 tractor. I have a 72" King Kutter tiller that I bought used in spring of '20 for a pretty good price. It's been used pretty hard but still works great and I have basically paid for the tiller just doing gardens in the spring. So having said that I have decided to buy my own newer tractor to do odd jobs with as well. I have Grandpa's Deere 2020 gas tractor but it needs some work and being gas it's not very fuel efficient. Going to look at a '96 Deere 5400 2wd tractor with w/ a FEL and 3k hours on it. It's being offered with a 7' 3 point JD brush hog but the seller also has a 10' wide pull type Brush Hog brand cutter for sale as well.

I live in a small rural town about 45 mins from KC and there has been a huge exodus from the city to our area of people buying 3-10 acre lots and building houses. My plan is to target the city guy/girl living in the country that doesn't have their own equipment that needs their garden worked, small pasture mowed, gravel driveway graded, gravel spread. Since this isn't a full time gig I feel like I can fill a need since I can do this after work and weekends as I want.. I already have the truck and trailer to haul it.

So what does the brain trust of IBB think? Am I way out in left field? Yes I could just work more OT at work and not have any investment other than my time but honestly after about 40-45 hours a week I am just tired of "work". I grew up on a farm helping Grandpa and I enjoy running equipment. I figure this is a way I can relive my childhood memories and get paid to do it.

If you have the time then yes. This is pretty much what I wanted to do, but I feel there is too much competition in my area. I pass people pulling this kind of equipment everyday coming and going to work. Cheers to you and good luck if you do it.

Edit-To you side hustlers- How do you have the time for a side hustle? between working 50ish hours a week, taking care of my our sh*t, and family... If I did a side hustle I'd never be home. More power to yall for a better balance/sacrifice. :beer:

Just be careful that there isn't an already saturated market. I had a few friends that went out and bought big skid steers and forestry heads when O&G went tits up, and they had a hell of a time keeping work. Money is pretty much free right now, and if there's any competition at all chances are someone out there values their time way less than you value yours.

I don't think I will get rich doing this but if I can make the payments on the equipment plus be able to use it to help maintain the farm my brothers and I inherited as well then that is a bonus. I have already been plowing/tilling gardens for a couple years now and have had some repeat customers from that. A few years ago I had a homeowner ask me if I did loader work and other odd jobs. I wasn't in a position to do it then and had to decline.

For those in the ag business I have a question concerning rear ballast. Cast wheel weights or fluid in the tires? I am not interested in calcium chloride fluid since that shit eats wheels. I am looking at beet juice or cast wheel weights. Looks like weights are still available from JD if I can't find any used on CL or FBMP. 110# weights list for $160 each. Looking online it seems that beet juice is running around $.28/gal. I'll have to find a local dealer for the fluid to find out for sure..

Just be careful that there isn't an already saturated market. I had a few friends that went out and bought big skid steers and forestry heads when O&G went tits up, and they had a hell of a time keeping work. Money is pretty much free right now, and if there's any competition at all chances are someone out there values their time way less than you value yours.
I had thought about that and looked on CL and FBMP seeing if anyone had ads up for custom brush hogging. I didn't see anything local to me within 50 miles or so. I know when I post my garden tilling ads in the spring I am pretty much the only one in my area that does it, or at least advertises for it. I try to stay within 15 miles of home. I have had people call me from 50+ miles away wanting it done. I usually tell them I can do but it's not going to be cheap and give them a go away price. Most of the time they agree to it since there is no one else offering the service..

Is this truly a side hustle? i.e.: under the table with no insurance?

Tilling existing gardens - probably pretty safe. What about when someone wants you to turn over a new plot and you end up hitting a phone line or chopping up the water line from their well?

How do you charge? By the time or by the square foot? Do you bring any other implements, like a rake or blade to knock it back down after you till?

That'd probably do well around where I live. I have a decent little tractor that could probably handle a 54" or so tiller. I've been too cheap to buy one but if I could pay for the implement with a little side work, it'd be sweet. Some of the soil here I'd probably have to drop the shanks on the box blade and rip a little to loosen things up before tilling though. :laughing:

Is this truly a side hustle? i.e.: under the table with no insurance?

Tilling existing gardens - probably pretty safe. What about when someone wants you to turn over a new plot and you end up hitting a phone line or chopping up the water line from their well?

This...insurance and other actual business shit. Always ends up sucking the profit and time out of an otherwise easy endeavor.

if it's an existing garden plot I just till it. if it's a new plot that is currently sod, I moldboard plow it first to break it up then till it. plowing first doubles the price. No other implements to go over it after tilling. I usually till it twice, 90* travel direction to each other to make sure it breaks it up 100% and it makes it look very nice..

I was actually gonna call my insurance guy and get a quote on an umbrella policy to cover "in case shit"...

If you are going to do loader work I highly recommend 4x4 tractor. As for ballast, cast iron is removable,beet juice is a mess when you get a hole. Good fortune to you.

If you are going to do loader work I highly recommend 4x4 tractor. As for ballast, cast iron is removable,beet juice is a mess when you get a hole. Good fortune to you.
I wondered about beet juice.. I will look into wheel weights.. I would love a 4wd but that adds another 8-10k onto the price of the same tractor and I can't swing that much $$.

Idk but have you thought about roll off dumpsters like every other guy and his brother?
coworker bought a bumper pull 14k dump trailer thinking he woudl rent it out, let people fill it with remodel construction, basement clean out, etc then take it to the local landfill. Apparently the local landfill charges a $150 premium for dump trailers or something. I guess they got tired of being undercut on their roll off dumpster business :shaking:

Lookup the YouTube, tractor time with Tim(?).He has a JD1 size and does odd jobs. Will get you some idea of services to offer

It’s most likely due to them not bringing volume in so they pay some absurd gate rate or the landfill has a high minimum charge
It is the FUCK YOU price. Quarry I work out of does that to some, you can rent a truck,driver for $65hr . Some truck companies can not rent any for love or money.

I am suprised that OP found a used tractor. When I was looking there was nothing but that was years and years ago

side hustle.
I have a small dozer that I run just under the table word of mouth kind of thing
it was a after work deal when I could get to the project

It would wow me how far I could go between unloading the trailer and going from property to property to property from the neighbors doing the while-you-are-here thing

I think I traveled a full mile down one road before picking it back up :laughing:

if OP has the equipment, go for it :beer: But I wouldn't finance anything

coworker bought a bumper pull 14k dump trailer thinking he woudl rent it out, let people fill it with remodel construction, basement clean out, etc then take it to the local landfill. Apparently the local landfill charges a $150 premium for dump trailers or something. I guess they got tired of being undercut on their roll off dumpster business :shaking:
that is how you get piles of garbage along the rural roads, people just get tired of the run around and just get rid of it

Luckily the coworker checked into prices for the dump before renting it out and having a full trailer of shit.

I think his son in law hauled off some household trash from moving and went to the dump with it. lady in the scale house said it's $$ to go dump in the landfill or you can offload into that roll off dumpster over there for $X. Everything he had in the trailer was in garden bags so just just hand unloaded it into the dumpster..

Watching the Tractor Time with Tim videos now.. I might change my plan and go with a 30hp 4wd loader tractor so I can target the suburbs. something in the 4-4.5' wide size so I can squeeze into suburban back yards.

Going to go look at the Deere 5400 w/ FEL tonight after work. It's a bit of a drive but I think the bigger tractor will be more useful at the family farm as well. Have pasture that needs mowed, fence rows that need cleared and other farm stuff. While the 25-30hp might work better for the suburban market I don't think it will help me much at the farm..

All the attachments that I have already will work with the 65hp tractor too which saves me a substantial amount.

Bought the '96 Deere 5400 tractor, 3k hours, 530 loader and a 7' wide 3 point Deere brand brush hog.

Attachments

• IMG_20210921_214611210.jpg
    IMG_20210921_214611210.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 72
Looks like a nice setup. Watched some videos on YouTube of guys loading these without ramps, they just lower the bucket on the dovetail and it lifts the front high enough. Taking those ramps off would let you leave the rotary cutter attached and keep the tongue weight ok also.

I was actually gonna call my insurance guy and get a quote on an umbrella policy to cover "in case shit"...

When I did a mowing business 5 years ago, we found a place out of KC that would do a million dollar policy for light service work for $700 a year. Farmers wanted $2400. I think it was Chris Leaf agency, I could dig it up from old business records if you want?

When I did a mowing business 5 years ago, we found a place out of KC that would do a million dollar policy for light service work for $700 a year. Farmers wanted $2400. I think it was Chris Leaf agency, I could dig it up from old business records if you want?
Depending on how much work you plan on doing, there are several "on demand" insurance companies now where you can take out a policy by the day. Sometimes as cheap as $25-30/day depending on the risk level of the work you're doing. Works well for starting out when workload may be spotty. Once you get consistent demand where the day rate would be more than an annual policy you can switch over.

Got the tractor unloaded yesterday, was checking it over, greasing it, checking fluids, and when I was unloading the mower with the loader I needed to use the diff lock driving across a low spot in the yard cuz no weight on the rear. I step on the diff lock pedal and the damn pivot bolt sheared off. :homer:

Dammit. Call Deere and they have one an hour away. Jacked it up, pulled the wheel and fender off so I could get to it. Got it drilled out and replaced and all back together last night..

Gonna take the Hotzy to it and wash it down good. PO must have had a lot of cedar trees on his place, there are cedar needles in all the little nooks and cracks, along with dirt and grease..

All in all, I am happy with my purchase so far. It has 2 rear hydraulic outlets that are being used by the FEL. Gonna look into adding a third SCV or Power Beyond kit to add a third function. I am wanting a grapple bucket for using at the farm for helping with fence row and brush clearing.

Anyone have any experience with Titan root grapples? I am leaning towards the 72" wide. root grapple

Would a grapple bucket be better for clearing brush, piling brush and moving logs when clearing out fencerows. grapple bucket

Tractor currently has a 60" bucket on it. it's in pretty good shape so I probably won't replace it but I wish it was 72" so it would clear as wide as the tires..

Got the tractor unloaded yesterday, was checking it over, greasing it, checking fluids, and when I was unloading the mower with the loader I needed to use the diff lock driving across a low spot in the yard cuz no weight on the rear. I step on the diff lock pedal and the damn pivot bolt sheared off. :homer:

Dammit. Call Deere and they have one an hour away. Jacked it up, pulled the wheel and fender off so I could get to it. Got it drilled out and replaced and all back together last night..

Gonna take the Hotzy to it and wash it down good. PO must have had a lot of cedar trees on his place, there are cedar needles in all the little nooks and cracks, along with dirt and grease..

All in all, I am happy with my purchase so far. It has 2 rear hydraulic outlets that are being used by the FEL. Gonna look into adding a third SCV or Power Beyond kit to add a third function. I am wanting a grapple bucket for using at the farm for helping with fence row and brush clearing.

Anyone have any experience with Titan root grapples? I am leaning towards the 72" wide. root grapple

Would a grapple bucket be better for clearing brush, piling brush and moving logs when clearing out fencerows. grapple bucket

Tractor currently has a 60" bucket on it. it's in pretty good shape so I probably won't replace it but I wish it was 72" so it would clear as wide as the tires..
There is a member here that builds and sels grapples and remote kits. His prices were pretty good if i remember right also.

dave_dj1

I knew there was someone that sold those here but couldn't remember the name.. :beer:

If you have the time then yes. This is pretty much what I wanted to do, but I feel there is too much competition in my area. I pass people pulling this kind of equipment everyday coming and going to work.
This. I've always thought it would be fun to go do exactly what you're talking about as I already have the equipment but quickly found that everybody has a relative, buddy, or neighbor that will do it for free or for beer. Technically you probably need to have insurance, LLC, CDL to be doing what you're talking about too.

the insurance and LLC is a very good idea for sure..

I think technically since I am hauling that equipment for hire, even though it's mine, I would still be required to have at least a chauffer license. I am not over 26,001 but am doing it for hire. MO has a chauffer license which just means for hire.

Most likely it will get used on my place, Dad's and the in laws mowing pasture and stuff like that for awhile.. do some garden tilling in the spring.

the insurance and LLC is a very good idea for sure..

I think technically since I am hauling that equipment for hire, even though it's mine, I would still be required to have at least a chauffer license. I am not over 26,001 but am doing it for hire. MO has a chauffer license which just means for hire.

Most likely it will get used on my place, Dad's and the in laws mowing pasture and stuff like that for awhile.. do some garden tilling in the spring.
You could also just have all the people call the diggers hotline and get the grass painted. Then it's not on you if you hit a line. On the root/grapple bucket from what I have seen the root buckets are heavier made so you lose capacity to pick stuff up.

You could also just have all the people call the diggers hotline and get the grass painted. Then it's not on you if you hit a line. On the root/grapple bucket from what I have seen the root buckets are heavier made so you lose capacity to pick stuff up.
Yea I was looking at the weights on those grapples as well. Tractordata specs page lists my model 520 loader at 2k lift capacity. the 72" HD root grapple weighs just over 1,000# itself. The lighter duty grapple bucket with two independent grapples is about 40% lighter at 600ish pounds. I don't abuse my equipment but it's farm machinery and things do get used..

Top Back Refresh