What's new

Should I pull a Joe Rogan (switch to spotify)?

Will12785

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Syracuse, NY
I'm not familiar with Spotify at all. A bunch of people were raving about it in the Joe Rogan thread and now I'm thinking it might be worth taking the plunge. I currently use Amazon music which is ok but not great. My wife seems to have way more problems with it than I do. We mostly listen to classic and alternative country. I'm assuming they have a decent selection of it.

Those who have it is it worth the money? It will primarily be used on a mobile app.

Spotify user here.

In my car and in my shop

I used to pay for it now I just use the free versiona nd I am very happy with it.

I found that my TV stereo online system fucking hates Pandora. Loads ridiculously slow.

Odd. I'm on an old wore out damn near barely working phone with it playing right now and it's damn near flawless. Its one of the few things my phone still does right :laughing:

Spotify user here.

In my car and in my shop

I used to pay for it now I just use the free versiona nd I am very happy with it.

How are the commercials ? I can't take ANY commercials,so I use Pandora with an APK file for Unlimited :smokin:

Is there an ad free version? And do you have the ability to pick your own songs not just a "we think you'll like this" shuffle?

Yes. There is a pay version that is ad free and unlimited skips. No,you can't type a song in and have it play on demand . But you can click the "thumbs up" button and save songs to your phone very easy.

Is the free version loaded with ads? What are the differences between the two?

Free version has some ads, not enough for me to care about.

And you are limited to I think like 6 skips per hour.

Neat trick if you want the paid version which is $10 per month, or if you are in college it is $5 per month, I said I was in college :)

Yes. There is a pay version that is ad free and unlimited skips. No,you can't type a song in and have it play on demand . But you can click the "thumbs up" button and save songs to your phone very easy.

That would make it a no go for me. I like to put on a whole album and let it play through. My incredibly boring version of a playlist :flipoff2:

That would make it a no go for me. I like to put on a whole album and let it play through. My incredibly boring version of a playlist :flipoff2:

YouTube has that option with their paid version. I have tried just about all of them but its been a while .

I just came across my Grooveshark app last night that I haven't even turned on in so long that I'm sure they have changed too

Odd. I'm on an old wore out damn near barely working phone with it playing right now and it's damn near flawless. Its one of the few things my phone still does right :laughing:
Phone was always fine. It’s just whenever I tried kicking it over to my TV. I spent a day or two messing with a gals Spotify account and decided to pull the trigger on it.

Phone was always fine. It’s just whenever I tried kicking it over to my TV. I spent a day or two messing with a gals Spotify account and decided to pull the trigger on it.

I've set it up on several TV's over the years and never had any issues. In fact, I just had somebody ask me if I would come over when they get their new TV and set it up for them again . I did so about 7-8 years ago for them using a Roku box and never any issues.

Spotify family plan. At work. In the truck. In the shop. Bluetooth speakers in the living room during dinner. And most importantly, on the bike. I stream music constantly on the bike. I couldn't ride without it.

Well worth it.

Can you elaborate on what your reasons are ?

I went from Pandora to Spotify myself. I used Pandora for YEARS. Then they offered the offline streaming mode. Its was fine...but it was a short list. After 45m the songs started repeating. Maybe its better now. Spotify has an unlimited selection, playlists for just about anything, and really well organized. I have 55gb of music I take with me on the bike that I stream offline.

I like Pandora and used to like Slacker (cancelling my 3.99 subscription this month) because of the fact I like finding new Artist and music I may not otherwise hear on there.

I don't want to hear the same songs I've been listening to for 30+ years over and over. I have a Buddy that has the same playlist on his phone and he refuses to believe there's new music out in the Big world. He is stuck with his phone playing the same shit over and over. It sucks working in his shop for that reason alone.

I went from Pandora to Spotify myself. I used Pandora for YEARS. Then they offered the offline streaming mode. Its was fine...but it was a short list. After 45m the songs started repeating. Maybe its better now. Spotify has an unlimited selection, playlists for just about anything, and really well organized. I have 55gb of music I take with me on the bike that I stream offline.

Fair enough and good enough reason for me to revisit Spotify to see how it works now days.. Been a while since I was on there so I will give it another go. Thanks.

I had a paid subscription to Pandora and when renewal time came the bastards never sent me an email or notice of any kind that it was about to expire, one day poof it was gone! I turned on Spotify and love it, the only problem is I have a hard time streaming it in my garage which is about 35' from my house, Pandora seems to work fine in that distance. I really dig the lists on Spotify you can make and the ones they recommend for you. I think I will pay for the year with them and see how it goes.

I just came across my Grooveshark app last night that I haven't even turned on in so long that I'm sure they have changed too

They got shut down around 2015-2016, there was a big stink about payments not going where they were supposed to. Sucks because I had a paid membership on there and it seemed to work the best out of all the options :frown: I haven't committed to another pay-service since just because that pissed me off enough.

They got shut down around 2015-2016, there was a big stink about payments not going where they were supposed to. Sucks because I had a paid membership on there and it seemed to work the best out of all the options :frown: I haven't committed to another pay-service since just because that pissed me off enough.

Damn, I guess it's been longer than I thought :laughing:

I see it, scroll past it and keep saying "I should click this" but go straight to Pandora . I guess it Really did change then lol

I've had Spotify for 5 or 6 years. I run the Family Plan and share it with the family. I like that I can make playlists, listen to what I want, when I want and the selection is near limitless. I like that I can download songs to an old phone and use it as a jukebox at work, I just need to connect it to the Internet every week or so to refresh the downloads so it knows I am still a subscriber. I can search out songs, bands or albums and make a playlist of random songs or I like to just do a playlist of a particular band's discography and listen to it straight through. Radio drives me insane with moronic commercials and fools babbling seemingly to hear themselves speak. Not being able to hear what I want, when I want is a deal breaker, as well as hearing the same song two, three, four or more times in a day. Spotify will also recommend other playlists that are similar to yours, or new bands that are usually pretty cool and worth a listen when I am in the mood to find a new band to listen to. I can control it from my PC, phone, tablet, PS4 app, Roku, etc. Well worth the money for the amount of use I get. It's cheaper than one CD a month and I get to listen to anything that I want, not just one CD.

I've had Spotify for 5 or 6 years. I run the Family Plan and share it with the family. I like that I can make playlists, listen to what I want, when I want and the selection is near limitless. I like that I can download songs to an old phone and use it as a jukebox at work, I just need to connect it to the Internet every week or so to refresh the downloads so it knows I am still a subscriber. I can search out songs, bands or albums and make a playlist of random songs or I like to just do a playlist of a particular band's discography and listen to it straight through. Radio drives me insane with moronic commercials and fools babbling seemingly to hear themselves speak. Not being able to hear what I want, when I want is a deal breaker, as well as hearing the same song two, three, four or more times in a day. Spotify will also recommend other playlists that are similar to yours, or new bands that are usually pretty cool and worth a listen when I am in the mood to find a new band to listen to. I can control it from my PC, phone, tablet, PS4 app, Roku, etc. Well worth the money for the amount of use I get. It's cheaper than one CD a month and I get to listen to anything that I want, not just one CD.
This is exactly the reason I like Spotify

I’ve had a subscription to rhapsody/napster for about 10 years and I use the shit out of it. I’m on the road daily and can’t imagine being without it. It sounds just like Spotify though.

Damn,Are you a Salesman for the Company ? ​​​​​:laughing:

You damn near got me talked in to trying it.

huh. download music and take it offline with you, you say?

i've had the same ~16gb memory stick of music on my phone for over a decade at this point :homer: don't listen to it all the time, but it would be nice to change it up every now and then :laughing: can't even hardly buy CD's anymore

Is there an ad free version? And do you have the ability to pick your own songs not just a "we think you'll like this" shuffle?
YES there is an ad free version of Pandora and YES you can pick your own songs/albums. I do it all the time. Relatively new user of Pandora here. Until a few months ago I was still buying CD's and then burning them onto an iPod so that I could maintain "control" of my music. Still learning my way around the service but at this point I'm kicking myself for not jumping aboard years ago.

Top Back Refresh