What's new

Shortened 2001 Silverado w/ 40s, Doubler, 14FF, & D60

Indeed. Cat's out of the bag now - I'm moving to California. So, even a small garage would be fine for me since the weather is almost always sunny! Near San Jose.
Let's wheel when you get settled in!

Down for a wheeling trip, once I get settled. Probably in like... November or later. Lots of weddings back in the Midwest I'll need to fly back for.

Indeed. Cat's out of the bag now - I'm moving to California. So, even a small garage would be fine for me since the weather is almost always sunny! Near San Jose.

Woah, are you in fear for your life or does someone have a gun pointed at you? Blink once for yes and twice for no.

🤣 good luck either way

Lots of good things still in CA. You will absolutely love the wheelin. To the point, you'll probably want to build something smaller and lighter :flipoff2:

Good luck on your endeavor, moving 100's of miles away is an odd journey.

Good luck on the new role and good luck on the move! Is this your first move out of the area you grew up in?

Welcome to the state…sort of…sorry about the politics and crime and homeless and taxes…ooh and sucky schools

Butt..the wheeling is awesome.

If you need any guns and ammo, buy it now before entering the prison.

I‘m not exactly close to SJ, but willing to lend a hand. You’ll pass by the house when you drive through on 80 if you need a stop.

Lots of good things still in CA. You will absolutely love the wheelin. To the point, you'll probably want to build something smaller and lighter :flipoff2:

Good luck on your endeavor, moving 100's of miles away is an odd journey.
Thanks! I'll likely wait to build something else until I've got a better driveway situation than our first rental will have (which is basically none).
Good luck with the move man! I hope you enjoy yourself
Thanks! Sorry we never got to wheel together. I'll likely be back eventually.
Good luck on the new role and good luck on the move! Is this your first move out of the area you grew up in?
Thanks! Ehhhh not really. Moved from California when I was 5 (obviously I remember very little), spent most of my Childhood in St. Louis, then went to U of I in CHampaign and stayed there 4 years after - then moved to Chicago. So I've been in the midwest all my life with various ~200mi moves, but this is also the longest move I've ever made.
Welcome to the state…sort of…sorry about the politics and crime and homeless and taxes…ooh and sucky schools

Butt..the wheeling is awesome.

If you need any guns and ammo, buy it now before entering the prison.

I‘m not exactly close to SJ, but willing to lend a hand. You’ll pass by the house when you drive through on 80 if you need a stop.
I'm not too concerned, it's not much different than Illinois. I was in Sacramento a few weeks ago for a Bachelor Party. Holy crap it's hot! I'm glad I'll have the ocean to keep me cool - I don't do well with heat on the day to day.

Not till sometime in October. Are y’all still going to Fordyce next week?
Not sure, it's still in my calendar and I've talked to a few guys I normally run with that are interested.

Thanks! I'll likely wait to build something else until I've got a better driveway situation than our first rental will have (which is basically none).

Thanks! Sorry we never got to wheel together. I'll likely be back eventually.

Thanks! Ehhhh not really. Moved from California when I was 5 (obviously I remember very little), spent most of my Childhood in St. Louis, then went to U of I in CHampaign and stayed there 4 years after - then moved to Chicago. So I've been in the midwest all my life with various ~200mi moves, but this is also the longest move I've ever made.

I'm not too concerned, it's not much different than Illinois. I was in Sacramento a few weeks ago for a Bachelor Party. Holy crap it's hot! I'm glad I'll have the ocean to keep me cool - I don't do well with heat on the day to day.
Lol no worries. My truck was never really ready to wheel outside my hood, and this new truck is still too far away from done to even think it could happen soon.
Maybe someday we'll meet up in the Midwest somewhere for a wheeling party.

I don't know why I feel bummed your moving. I was looking forward to hopefully meeting you at the Badlands one day. I hope to hear from you on the podcast once you are settled in. Also love the fact you can pack your things and move across country in a home built truck on 40's. Wishing you the best!

He obviously didn’t mention his build thread on the podcast or we would have updates.

Sorry ya'll. I've been busy and the notifications from IBB have been piling up and overwhelming. Whatever, I'll just start over on those and give updates here!

Here's the rig loaded up. I tried to scale it, but couldn't get the App to work and it was after hours. Based on my butt dyno, I'd expect the trailer to be 6-7klbs - don't tell Uhaul.

WSqePqd7Cufu-B4xPovHP5mQ=w1109-h1473-no?authuser=0.jpg

f6XAXygczvus78NAAlZETBIw=w1109-h1473-no?authuser=0.jpg

The truck hauled it well - very stable and stopped without issue. The 5.3 wasn't super happy with the amount of full-throttle hillclimbs we had to do, especially in Wyoming where there was a 40-70mph headwind for the majority of the state. I added a 40k trans cooler and thermostat to help keep things happy and I'm glad I did - only had the engine temp creep up a tiny bit over Donner and one other steep pass. Trans temp never got above 180.

klE0xIG7kREiqp31soQgr1Zw=w1957-h1473-no?authuser=0.jpg

I even got to meet up with Derek Rickford & his son Owen on their way to UA2022.
pXeULpCbEIzbxGSpzsyrbbuQ=w1962-h1473-no?authuser=0.jpg

Yes, the rig fits in the driveway. I've got MOST of my tools at home, but when the rig is in the driveway the barn doors to the garage don't open so I've got to schlep all the tools around the house. Could be worse - the location is amazing and the weather is great too. Except in January - tons of rain! lol I also found some extra slots on the breaker box, so I might even wire up a 220 outlet for welding action!
mArQgrLJm19p98cUrxs4yhQw=w1957-h1473-no?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
The only issue on the way out here was what I swore was the 205 shitting a bearing. About 2 hours away from final destination, there were some pretty heinous metal on metal crunchy sounds. I parked the truck for a few weeks to get settled after I limped it the remaining distance and returned the u-haul. Then I diagnosed a bad u-joint at the pinion. Go figure. It was only 2 years old, but 3 of the 4 caps looked brand new and this one.... well you can see the issue - probably installer error.... looks around :lmao:
j73Xl7GxVVeG_64m6mlr8c4g=w1957-h1473-no?authuser=0.jpg

In December I headed down to Pismo for a Fullsize Invasion meet-up (Toys for Tots).
_mNXNzEVdJPWP-8YqJE-EI_A=w1957-h1473-no?authuser=0.jpg

It was fun to see people I hadn't seen in a while and meet people, but my truck isn't exactly built for dune running. I'd hardly call it a wheeling trip, though I did air down and put it in 4wd :P

After that, I pulled the beadlocks apart so that I could prep them for snow wheeling - that is to say, I put 3 wraps + a smoothing layer of gorilla tape on the inner safety bead to make sure it doesn't burp air at really low pressures.
oBq05ymgAkINK_bxCgEZE70w=w1109-h1473-no?authuser=0.jpg

Still haven't been snow wheeling yet, BUT I did go wheeling............
644FW9eV6TowNx0b4eSlXb0w=w1957-h1473-no?authuser=0.jpg

XRfAdVLGvi0N3rf2uWxQGVmA=w1957-h1473-no?authuser=0.jpg

The raptor 35 takeoffs are for a friend. I think I'll have to withhold details of the rest of the trip until that Total Offroad Podcast episode comes out :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Whats your long term thoughts on those tires?

They caught my eye with the new sizes coming out, but every review I can find is someone getting them for free. :homer:

They're awesome. I didn't get mine for free. They don't make a ton of noise on the highway, they hook in every terrain I've tried, and they wear and balance well.

I will say, I just got a small gash in the sidewall that was leaking some air... so I plan to patch it on the inside to tide me over until I can actually get my hands on the 42 Mickey Thompson. But I beat on my shit pretty good, so I don't know if it's the tire's fault.

Did I see that you're in Palo Alto now on IG?

Did work bring you out here? I'm in San Jose. Been following your build since day 1 on pirate, always loved the full bodied sleeper approach to the build

What's your wheelbase now, I'm sure you've posted it before

Yep, I'm in Palo Alto near University and Middlefield. Moved out here to work for Tesla. Thanks! We should probably meet up sometime haha.

Wheelbase is 133".

Top Back Refresh