What's new

Shop Safety - Parts Washer - Mineral Spirits - Heat Question

[memphis]

Web wheeler
Member Number
I am using a parts washer in a tent garage. It's averaging 32C (90F) right now, flash point on the product is 43C (109F)

The inside of the tent gets significantly hotter than outside... I haven't checked but I'd bet it's a good 10C difference. Basically I can't work in there with the door down and I don't want to especially using the parts washer because of the fumes.

Should I be draining the parts washer in these extreme temperatures? The fluid was quite warm today, like coffee that has been sitting for 10 minutes warm. I've pondered about using something a bit more eco-friendly

I used kerosene running through a coffee maker heater, No worries about kabooms.

I used kerosene running through a coffee maker heater, No worries about kabooms.

Just because you're not worried does not mean it isn't an issue. :lmao:

However, as long as OP's parts washer has the lid down on it, it likely will not present any hazard.

I looked into the water based options and there's a lot of them, but it's hard to say what is the best. Apparently Wurth sells something that's pretty good.

I wouldn't worry about it other than putting the lid down when not in use as mentioned above. The Mineral spirits ought to cut crud really well being that warm!

Top Back Refresh