What's new

Shop layout critique

Russell

Member Number
Loc
Rocky View County, AB
I've got a 26x50 (outside dimensions) shop with a 16' ceiling height on the place I just moved into. I'm working on how I am going to set everything up inside of it. I've got a 4 post lift for vehicle storage and I will be adding a 2 post lift for working on stuff. The mezzanine was put in by the previous owner. It's 8 feet by 25'. I can tuck all my work benches, tool boxes, press, drill press, welder and band saw in underneath the space of the mezzanine and will use the top for storage. I have 6.5' between the benches and the 4 post lift to park the lawn mower and the jet ski. I'll add a 10' wide by 9' tall overhead door to the side of the building to access the lift. My escalade will go on top and the Chevelle goes in underneath. Then I have about 24' between the 4 post and the existing 16' wide by 14' tall overhead door. I figured I'd set it up so I had 8 feet between the 4 post and the front of the 2 post. I plan to buy a 10k asymmetrical lift and at the largest would lift a crew cab long box truck with it. Following the 70% behind, 30% up front on an asymmetrical lift that leaves me about 1.5' in front of the biggest vehicle I'd ever be lifting and nearly 4' in front of the vehicle I'd most often be lifting (the escalade). I'd position the lift so the inside edge of the post closest to the wall is about even with the overhead door opening. That would leave me about 10' wide by 24' deep for parking my skid steer and my compact tractor beside the lift. My pickup would get parked between the 2 post lift or under the 4 post lift with the Chevelle up tops if the caddy is on the 2 post.

Thoughts? Anything you'd do different?

photo12368.png

photo12371.png

photo12372.png

Last edited:
Pics of the shop from the MLS listing before we bought. The plan is to sheet the walls and ceilings with white PCV paneling and install a bunch of high lumen LED high bay fixtures on the roof and some smaller wall units to replace the brutal CFL bulbs installed right now. Place is downright dark as is with the OSB sheeting and about 300w of lighting throughout.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C4253101_47.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.7 KB ID:	60065

Click image for larger version  Name:	C4253101_45.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.2 KB ID:	60066

Click image for larger version  Name:	C4253101_45.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.2 KB ID:	60066

Last edited:
Keep engine hoist/cherry picker room in front of the 2 post lift... so whatever the longest vehcle will be plus 8ish feet.. id try to get at least 14 feet between the lifts if possible.

my 2 pennies.:grinpimp:

The 4 post lift is mobile and on castors. I can push it back up against the mezzanine if I need more space out front of the 2 post to use the hoist or if my butt gets too big. Good thought though!

That's a good plan I like the height in there too I put in a two post lift a couple years ago shortly after installing it I bought a few things for it two supports stands, trans jack, and a used oil cart although there not large items all together with my cherry picker they do eat up space like about the size of a another motorcycle under my pallet racking so I'd plan a spot for stuff like that near the two post lift other than that looks like a nice shop.

Finally getting this pulled together now. I pulled in 6 new 240V outlets throughout the shop (3x 50A, 2x 25A and 1x 15A) for my compressor, lifts and welder / plasma cutter. Added a 9' tall by 10' wide overhead door on the side of the shop, built out walls under the mezzanine and added a pile of 120V 15A outlets. Added about 200,000 lumens of lighting to the ceiling and another 25,000 in the shop space. Got my cabinets up and my work bench in today then got the hoist positioned in front of the new side access door. Got it levelled out and set up properly, but I apparently spilled a bunch of oil transporting it as it only went up about half way before it started sucking air into the pump... I've got a bucket of oil on the way to top it up. The wide angle lens makes the caddy look like it is basically at the roof, but it still has another 4' of clearance in this pic.

I'm going to re-do the roof lighting a bit. Remove the light that sits right above the lift and move it over to the far position and add one more light as well. It is fairly dark on the work space side of the shop with a vehicle up on the lift with the single light. Three over there would be much better. I've also got a bunch more lights to put up under the mezzanine and to replace the remaining incandescent lights on the walls.

Goal is to get everything put away over the next week or so then bring the Chevelle down from my father's place over in a couple weeks when we head up to visit. Still need to put a proper railing on the mezzanine and the stairs and add a 2 post lift next summer, but I'm getting close to finishing up. Still deciding if I want to spend another 10k and put PVC sheeting up over top of the OSB. I sure dislike OSB and particularly painted OSB... That would be a lot of truck and car parts for something that is pretty much purely cosmetic...

20200925_172251[1].jpg

20200925_172314[1].jpg

Still deciding if I want to spend another 10k and put PVC sheeting up over top of the OSB. I sure dislike OSB and particularly painted OSB... That would be a lot of truck and car parts for something that is pretty much purely cosmetic...

What is so bad about pained OSB? I wished I had painted all of my OSB white before I moved into my current shop. Due to scheduling i didnt manage to. Every shop i see with multiple good coats of white over OSB looks much better than non painted OSB and reflects more light.

Finally getting this pulled together now. I pulled in 6 new 240V outlets throughout the shop (3x 50A, 2x 25A and 1x 15A) for my compressor, lifts and welder / plasma cutter. Added a 9' tall by 10' wide overhead door on the side of the shop, built out walls under the mezzanine and added a pile of 120V 15A outlets. Added about 200,000 lumens of lighting to the ceiling and another 25,000 in the shop space. Got my cabinets up and my work bench in today then got the hoist positioned in front of the new side access door. Got it levelled out and set up properly, but I apparently spilled a bunch of oil transporting it as it only went up about half way before it started sucking air into the pump... I've got a bucket of oil on the way to top it up. The wide angle lens makes the caddy look like it is basically at the roof, but it still has another 4' of clearance in this pic.

I'm going to re-do the roof lighting a bit. Remove the light that sits right above the lift and move it over to the far position and add one more light as well. It is fairly dark on the work space side of the shop with a vehicle up on the lift with the single light. Three over there would be much better. I've also got a bunch more lights to put up under the mezzanine and to replace the remaining incandescent lights on the walls.

Goal is to get everything put away over the next week or so then bring the Chevelle down from my father's place over in a couple weeks when we head up to visit. Still need to put a proper railing on the mezzanine and the stairs and add a 2 post lift next summer, but I'm getting close to finishing up. Still deciding if I want to spend another 10k and put PVC sheeting up over top of the OSB. I sure dislike OSB and particularly painted OSB... That would be a lot of truck and car parts for something that is pretty much purely cosmetic...

What model New Holland is that?

What is so bad about pained OSB? I wished I had painted all of my OSB white before I moved into my current shop. Due to scheduling i didnt manage to. Every shop i see with multiple good coats of white over OSB looks much better than non painted OSB and reflects more light.

I hate the look of it, ultimately. Looks cheap. Painted looks even worse. Just always been a pet peeve of mine. Finding it hard to justify the cost of nicer paneling though.

The skid steer is a 1998 LX-865. 60hp turbocharged 3 cyl diesel with a tipping capacity of 4400 lbs. Super handy for lifting heavy truck parts and for clearing snow. Also does a great job tearing my gravel driveway up :flipoff2:

The skid steer is a 1998 LX-865. 60hp turbocharged 3 cyl diesel with a tipping capacity of 4400 lbs. Super handy for lifting heavy truck parts and flinging them violently side to side with questionable rigging.

FTFY. :flipoff2:

I'll take "looks really cheap and has quadruple the light" over "looks not quite as cheap and dark as fuck" any day. :flipoff2:

Get a gun and paint that shit. A year or ten from now if you're sick of it, then drywall over it. (or steel, etc)

Top Back Refresh