What's new

Shop flooring

Talon2006

Yellow Skull
Member Number
Have my slab poured for my 40x30 shop. Wanting to do something to
1. make the concrete easier to clean. My current garage it is impossible to sweep all the dust off the concrete.
2. Make the shop look cleaner/brighter

I have a forklift, welders, cnc plasma and heavy machines, so I don’t think epoxy would hold up. Can anyone recommend anything else?
97E9C9FC-A36A-49E7-9E16-615DDEB8263D.jpeg

Vaccuum your floor clean with a shop vac, it's just that easy. Fuck sweeping.

(and then it won't matter if it's a bit rough).

Oh, and use a good filter.

Last edited:
Can't tell from pics if you got just a normal driveway floated type finish, or polished finish. The polished finish in our new shop is awesome for cleaning it up. The first little barn/shop we built about 20 years ago we stupidly did a broom finish. You can't clean that for shit.

Can't tell from pics if you got just a normal driveway floated type finish, or polished finish. The polished finish in our new shop is awesome for cleaning it up. The first little barn/shop we built about 20 years ago we stupidly did a broom finish. You can't clean that for shit.
^^^ This, if you want to be able to sweep it then a polished finish is what you want.

Concrete can be resurfaced with a machine. I suggest getting quotes. Nasty job to do oneself IMHO.

when I had my shop poured I had the dude bring his power trowell upside down helecopter thing

He asked what kind of finish
I said 'Home Depot"

he was there until 1:00am and that is what I have, a smooth shiney floor
immediatly sealed it
easy to clean, oil spills wipe right up, dust sweeps up

plasma, steel, forklift dont affect anyhting

everyone said that was going to happen when I put me floor in
I always respond with:
Do you fall down every time you go into the Home Depot? Lowes? Grocery store? This are all gloss finishes?

Been 20 years no problems for me
well In home depot I am not getting up and down working on a vehicle in the isle.

I can walk in the warehouse (home depot) no issues, it is the other shit that is fucking dangerous.

If you havent had any issues you either have webbed feet or your shit is not that polished.

well In home depot I am not getting up and down working on a vehicle in the isle.

I can walk in the warehouse (home depot) no issues, it is the other shit that is fucking dangerous.

If you havent had any issues you either have webbed feet or your shit is not that polished.
or you just have to be smarter than the floor

everyone said that was going to happen when I put me floor in
I always respond with:
Do you fall down every time you go into the Home Depot? Lowes? Grocery store? This are all gloss finishes?

Been 20 years no problems for me
Do you often park frozen salty vehicles in home depot aisles and walk around them as they defrost?

Good info. I like the idea of the polished floor with a big piece of indoor/outdoor carpet to park the vehicle you’re working on. (Not while welding/torching). Would probably keep dropped nuts and sockets from rolling 150’ also. :laughing:

For my current shop, I just shop vac bad areas in sections, then sweep the normal messes into piles and vac them up. Every once in awhile I bring the gas powered backpack blower in there to blast stuff out.

How often do you sweep the floor?

How often do you try do shit when there's oil on the floor?

The choice is fuckin obvious. I'm not gonna optimize for something I do once every few months.

Mine is smooth enough to sweep nice, and I don't slip and fall on it... my contractor must have known the sweet spot. :homer:

Just because it gives me a reason to post this.

I went with ghost shield 8510 to help with oil stains. Complete waste of money.

The guys that have done polished floors what is a general price? That might be an option for me in a few years once I get a few projects knocked out and hopefully have less stuff in my shop.

I prefer a smooth un-coated concrete floor. Mine is one step below a shiny polished finish.
I keep larger sheets of cardboard around for messy jobs for easy cleanup, and always use sweeping compound when I sweep the floor. It keeps the dust down, and pulls the fine dirt right out of the pores of the concrete. You can lay down on the floor without getting your clothes dirty after sweeping with that. I buy it in a 50# bag at home depot for around $22 and it lasts most of the year. Zep Sweeping Compound

Edit: Added a video on using sweeping compound that I found on YT. Using Sweeping Compound

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh