What's new

Shop construction cost

I am scrambling right now to put up a carport that may be enclosed later

The scramble is because I can't spend another summer in the sun, and I'm trying to get ahead of any cost increases

It seems that concrete, while kinda high the last few years, has not been re priced in Biden bucks, yet

Last night's quote on 32x32 x6" slab $4800 not including rebar, I bought that 2 weeks ago for about $8 per 20' #4

2 weeks ago I bought painted 29ga AG panels grin Lowe's right at $1 sqft

My framework will be repurposed steel

1) It took me way too long to figure out how those two pics were of the same building.

2) I'd have to take a 2nd and 3rd mortgage on my house to pay for that plywood.

3) What's with the door thing on that far wall?
Ooh ooh ooh!

Pick me

Early bronco top:laughing:

FordFascist that's a really nice looking setup:smokin:

That's my upstairs. It gives a better idea of what the beams and purlins look like installed.

I bought all the lumber in May 2019 so my plywood was a lot cheaper than today.

Correct, that's an early Bronco hard top that some asshole cut a sunroof into in the early 90s. It leaks less with it off. The EB is my retirement plan.

Around here, concrete is a killer.

Any concrete bigger than a SMALL patio requires a permit, with slab engineering, and the engineer requires core samples of the dirt they are laying on, then the soil around me is an expansive clay and the engineer design for that is $$$.

Yes, I am unfortunately inside the city limits.

Mine broke 6 digits getting to unfinished lockup. :shaking:

Approx 40x50' roof footprint. 20x38' of it enclosed w/ concrete floor.

IMG-20121025-00907.jpg

First off don’t do a pole barn . I know a lot of people do but a. They’re not as strong b. They don’t add any appraisal value because they’re not considered a garage or shop they’re considered a barn on appraisal I asked all of these questions before building . It is same or less cost to build a 2x6 stud frame shop on 2 ft centers and insulation, windows , wiring etc is all drastically cheaper and easier . I built a shop last year 24x40x14 with all the good stuff and also has bathroom , car lift , pellet stove , wainscoting , multiple windows , gutters and overhangs etc came in around 30k maybe a little more . Same shop would cost at least 39k today as it is 30 percent higher and clinging right now to build . The Amish also built my shop for 2k less than what I could get materials alone for from ANY place I had materials bids for and that included the labor to build it . Would have cost me nearly twice as much to contract it out myself and buy materials and me and a couple friends did the concrete , dirt work and I did all the electrical and plumbing and I installed my own lift . I would not build right now but if you must I would go steel building due to lumber costs . And one last thing ... you’ll regret using your own saw mill lumber ... it will rot in a few years time and warp unbelievably bad you’ll end up rebuilding it . I’ve seen several done by a guy locally and within a couple years the wood was rotted and warped so bad there were areas that had pulled themself away from the structure/metal.
"pole barn' is absolutely the best bang for the buck in my neck of the woods

and bullshit on your appraisal value, I have about 20 years of property tax statements that say otherwise

and a 24x40 is cute........a garage not a shop :flipoff2:

and no shit it costs more to have someone else build it :shaking:

Northern Nevada got bitch slapped with every building code - so we have earthquake, snow and wind ratings. That jacks up the price on foundation, roof type and building material.

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG
Is this a 30x40?

That's my upstairs. It gives a better idea of what the beams and purlins look like installed.

I bought all the lumber in May 2019 so my plywood was a lot cheaper than today.

Correct, that's an early Bronco hard top that some asshole cut a sunroof into in the early 90s. It leaks less with it off. The EB is my retirement plan.
Is that a miracle truss building?

I am in the process of a 30x40x14 red iron shop. Building concrete pad work ect is $37k. I am doing all the electrical myself. Pole barns and stick built were all within a few grand of red iron. Now all of these prices are from the end of last year and I know that everything has sky rocketed in price.

I am in the process of a 30x40x14 red iron shop. Building concrete pad work ect is $37k. I am doing all the electrical myself. Pole barns and stick built were all within a few grand of red iron. Now all of these prices are from the end of last year and I know that everything has sky rocketed in price.
I had one of my vendors tell me that red iron is now a two-year leadtime.

I’m interested to see how this will play in the shop construction.

I had one of my vendors tell me that red iron is now a two-year leadtime.

I’m interested to see how this will play in the shop construction.

I find that hard to believe. My building showed up 3 weeks after ordering it. My sister is in the process of building a barndo and her red iron is a 4-6 week lead time.

My building was delivered last week and hers is 2 weeks out.

I find that hard to believe. My building showed up 3 weeks after ordering it. My sister is in the process of building a barndo and her red iron is a 4-6 week lead time.

My building was delivered last week and hers is 2 weeks out.
I was quoted 14 weeks from one supplier and 5 - 6 months from another.

Consider doing the steel work yourself. It's really not that difficult to do a simple building. Fab columns, hang beams/bar joist, girts/perlins, sheet and trim.

You need a welder, mag drill, and rent a telehandler. All the steel can be ordered pre cut from a service center.

My co worker just signed for a 32x54x14 pole barn. Insulated floor with radiant plumbed in, shell and concrete only. He's paying for the higher load capacity roof.

My coworker is supplying the doors and the site prep work. The "poles" are above the concrete in saddles, not in ground.

Anyways, $72k. He said the insulated floor was about $10k of that. SE WI.

That is crazy high !
Yep. I guess the builder said that's about $16k over what it should cost... Or used to cost. The only other thing out of the ordinary is some extra prep for rodent control.. Some kind of firring around the perimeter and extra sealing strips. Oh and a Coppola (?) I guess for a couple grand his wife insisted on.

But he needs the space, and can't wait until prices come back down... If they ever do! So far they're doing nothing but going up.

In 2016 prices... $50k for 34' x40', 1300 sq ft stick built, minimum shell of building. 2 years of me busting my ass, hired subs for major pieces. 10k for 'crete.
The another 15k for me to finish interior, insulation, drywall, A/C....

so $50 a sq. Guess now it would be more like 75+... easy $100k.

I priced stick, pole and steel. Surprising similar cost, as fixed costs are the same (permit, dirt, elect, ect). No one here would assemble a pole building. My shop is 6' from house so went similar construction.

then room for more tools ($$) and a spot for a project vehicle(s) ($$$$).

It’s really easy to read this stuff in Missouri and just gasp at the prices people pay in other parts of the world . I keep wanting to respond and say my god how is that possible . I built a high end custom 4 bedroom home 2 years ago for not much more than what people in other parts of the world are spending on a shop . I’m lucky to live where I do evidently . Very lucky .

Considering Missouri ranks the 40th state for income per capita, you might expect a few cost savings.

Top Back Refresh