What's new

Shop Build Questions

Rugby

Red Skull Member
Member Number
For the people that have built new shops. Did you go with a stick built , a pole barn , or red iron building?

Looking at moving and the yard is big enough for me to finely get a shop built. Either going to be a 40x40 or a 30x40. Just trying to decide on what type of building to go with. I am leaning towards a red iron building just because that's the majority of what's here. Looking for other feedback on what others have used.

I'm sure this is going to depend on location, but right now stick built is cheaper by quite a bit.

I'm in a stick built. I prefer steel. I want I-beams and purlins and shit. Depends on your budget.

In the Houston area. I am trying to figure out my budget righ now. Have a quote for a 40x40 with 3 roll up doors on walk through door ect installed with concrete for $38k. That's no wiring ect. Just trying to see what a good price is.

In the Houston area. I am trying to figure out my budget righ now. Have a quote for a 40x40 with 3 roll up doors on walk through door ect installed with concrete for $38k. That's no wiring ect. Just trying to see what a good price is.

That sounds like a pretty good price to me. I prefer steel as well, but ended up going with a pole barn since it was about $10K cheaper than steel for a 30'x40' with two 12'Wx10'H panel doors and a man door. I am knocking on the door of $30,000 for just the building and concrete (including taxes and permit fees). I was quoted $37-55K for the same in steel.

I am in the Houston area as well and had a 40x80 steel built last year for just under $30/ft. That was slab and shell, dried in with no MEP. Call Guthrie Buildings in Spring and ask for Nathan. He’s a good guy and honest.

I'm sure this is going to depend on location, but right now stick built is cheaper by quite a bit.

I'm in a stick built. I prefer steel. I want I-beams and purlins and shit. Depends on your budget.

Reasons?

My warehouse is a combination of steel, masonry and wood (and engineered wood). They've all got their pros and cons. Red iron buildings definitely have their share of cons.

Reasons?

My warehouse is a combination of steel, masonry and wood (and engineered wood). They've all got their pros and cons. Red iron buildings definitely have their share of cons.
You know, I honestly don't really have any reasons other than I just want steel. :laughing:

I can't really think of any cons though vs stick built other than cost.

Stick built/stucco here (forced by city regulations, must match my house). 30x45 and I am about 28k into it but thats with my brother, myself and a friend doing almost all the labor.

You know, I honestly don't really have any reasons other than I just want steel. :laughing:

I can't really think of any cons though vs stick built other than cost.

They got issues where it is cold and snowy. Crappy insulation leads to ice dams on the roof which leads to leaks inside. Also seems like the flashings don't last, although that is probably due to no fucks given by minimum wage installers.

They also have no soul.

They got issues where it is cold and snowy. Crappy insulation leads to ice dams on the roof which leads to leaks inside. Also seems like the flashings don't last, although that is probably due to no fucks given by minimum wage installers.

They also have no soul.

No cold or snow here. Thing is, with steel, I could (theoretically) spend $$$ and have the slab down, then slowly do the rest in my free time. Much of it by myself, the rest with friends and beer. Insulation isn't really an issue cause if I ever build another one it'll get closed cell spray.

Stick built- I'm going to have to pay to have it all done. Which, hilariously enough, is still currently cheaper than building a steel one with my own labor.

IMHO, pole buildings are good for barns, but not shops. If I had the money at the time, I would have absolutely stick built... No question. If a ufo falls on the barn, it will get replaced with a stick built.

IMHO, pole buildings are good for barns, but not shops. If I had the money at the time, I would have absolutely stick built... No question. If a ufo falls on the barn, it will get replaced with a stick built.

What makes one better than the other?

What makes one better than the other?

While a pole barn goes up fast, it still needs a certain amount of stick framing to finish the interior. So if one is going to frame walls after the fact, why not just do them initially? Plus, stick is more flexible...

I like my barn, and it gets used as a shop, but it's definitely a barn.

I know have 2 quotes.

40x40x14
3 12x12 roll up doors
1 man door
Insulation

Pole barn with 6x6 post
$36k
Red iron
$38k

Doesnt seem like a price advantage to go with a pole barn style over red iron.

Need to find a contractor to price a stick built to compare that also.

I know have 2 quotes.

40x40x14
3 12x12 roll up doors
1 man door
Insulation

Pole barn with 6x6 post
$36k
Red iron
$38k

Doesnt seem like a price advantage to go with a pole barn style over red iron.

Need to find a contractor to price a stick built to compare that also.

Is that for building only or everything?
My 50x80 Steel building I am putting up requires a $30k foundation to meet engineer's requirements for my area. Had I known that I would have gone pole barn...

Is that for building only or everything?
My 50x80 Steel building I am putting up requires a $30k foundation to meet engineer's requirements for my area. Had I known that I would have gone pole barn...

Buil . That's everything but wiring for electricity.

I

Buil . That's everything but wiring for electricity.

I

That is a hell of a deal then. Where are you located? Our codes changed to IBC18 and the price of everything has skyrocketed

I had a 40x40x12 pole barn built last year. 2 12x10 doors and one walk door for $26.6k. That’s just a shell no insulation or electric.

Is that for a metal building? If so, that ain't a bad price

I did a 80'x50'x16'eave and it ran me 32K just for the building with insulation on the roof and walls. Concrete/dirt work ran another 43K. The 2- 20'x14' and 1- 12'x12' insulated roll up doors were another 12k. That was in 2016.

I'm in Louisiana, so it had to have a 135mph wind rating. I also went 8" thick 4k psi concrete for most of the slab. So not exactly apples to apples.

I would strongly recommend 16' eves.

Is that for a metal building? If so, that ain't a bad price

I did a 80'x50'x16'eave and it ran me 32K just for the building with insulation on the roof and walls. Concrete/dirt work ran another 43K. The 2- 20'x14' and 1- 12'x12' insulated roll up doors were another 12k. That was in 2016.

I'm in Louisiana, so it had to have a 135mph wind rating. I also went 8" thick 4k psi concrete for most of the slab. So not exactly apples to apples.

I would strongly recommend 16' eves.

Yes sir. $38k for red iron building, concrete, assembly, 3 roll up doors one walk through door, insulation. That's a 4" 3kpsi pad. Doesnt include dirt work for the pad prep. This is in north Houston

Yes sir. $38k for red iron building, concrete, assembly, 3 roll up doors one walk through door, insulation. That's a 4" 3kpsi pad. Doesnt include dirt work for the pad prep. This is in north Houston

Well then, that's a good price.

Do you plan to put a lift in the shop? Most lifts require drilling the bolt holes down 4-6" in the slab. I wasn't sure where I wanted to install lifts, but I knew I wanted a 2 and a 4 post at some point. So, I had the center 40'x40' of the slab poured 8" thick so wherever I put them I wouldn't be drilling all the way through the slab. 4 years of having the shop up and I still don't have a lift yet:frown:

I'll say it again. 16' eaves make a world of difference. To me, it's the difference between a fancy garage and an actual shop. Unless I'm standing right next to a wall, I can flip a 20' piece of material no problem. Might not sound like a big deal but, to me it is. Plus, if you ever add a upper level for storage, you'll actually be able to stand up in it.

I will probably do 16' with 14' doors. I was just trying to get a quote to see how much money I needed to make this happen. With a 14' door I dont have to worry as much trying to RV or travel trailer backed in.

Steel, set on a 3'-4' concrete knee wall. A big advantage i didnt see mentioned before is leaving after welding/cutting/etc and knowing it's not going to burn down.

Top Back Refresh