What's new

Shooting Mats

animator

Member Number
Loc
DFW
I’m looking at picking up a shooting mat, and there’s several options out there.

What do you have? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it? What would you get if you were buying one?

USMC sleeping mats. Some are air and some are a foam. Double up on the foam. The air ones self inflate then roll the air out when done.

I grabbed a voodoo tactical mat a lil while ago. Its sorta skinny, has wings that fold out for your elbows...Thats dumb just get a big rectangle mat.

The wings on mine have some sorta grippy texture for some reason. It feels super awesome on your elbows...not
The buckles to keep the thing rolled up, land right under your chest...nuff said
It does have a big ass pocket on it, keep a few pairs of ear plugs and a few allen wrenches in it, sorta handy.
It does take a while before it soaks up enough water to get you wet. that part is nice

Overall, just get the most basic one you can find that doesnt cost stupid money.

Its not a bad mat. Hell I have been using it for a few years. Summer time when its hot, and your sweating. You will notice that grippy shit on your elbows. The ammo pouches and bullet loops are all just extra bullshit, that your really not goona use.

My biggest gripe is hat as skinny as it is. If your shooting around a canyon. You will be half on the mat and half off it, at some point.

Doing it over, I would get a big ass rectangle mat and call it good.

I have a s&w duty series I received as a gift. I use it for matches with prone shooting and general plinking. It’s nice, has grippy areas where I want them and grommets for pinning it down. Rolls up and carries well. The ends want to roll up when you first set it out, especially in cold weather, so I pin it down at first. If I was going to go gear crazy I’d buy a creedmoor quad-fold for matches.

Sold out.

I like the Crosstac, but really think I want something that rolls up vs a thicker folding mat. And I like something with provisions for loading a bipod, either a sewn rail or a strap.

And I prefer something on the larger size.. don’t want to be hanging half off the thing. I might use it for hunting, but will not be its primary purpose.

Midway Pro Has my attention as well, I just wish it was a bit longer.

Sold out.

I like the Crosstac, but really think I want something that rolls up vs a thicker folding mat. And I like something with provisions for loading a bipod, either a sewn rail or a strap.

And I prefer something on the larger size.. don’t want to be hanging half off the thing. I might use it for hunting, but will not be its primary purpose.

Midway Pro Has my attention as well, I just wish it was a bit longer.

You can find it other places, it was just where I bought mine.

I went down this road a few years ago. Wanted something bigger too. I pressed Armageddon gear about making me a custom that's larger than they advertise but I never followed through.

If you want something larger, it's more money, but the eberlestock mat comes in two configurations. If I hadn't opted for compact and portability I'd have gone the eberlestock magic carpet.

I see the midway ones but I'm not sure who makes them and where. Pretty sure they're Chinese but maybe not

Armageddon Gear is another that caught my attention.

The midway mat is described as imported, which I’m pretty sure means made in China.

When I said don't get a rollup, I meant the Midway style tootsie roll. I have had a bunch of those and if you shoot in dusty or silty conditions, as you roll it up all that grit gets on where you're going to lay the next time you use it. I bought this one instead and because it folds over, when you fold it up the shooting surface stays much cleaner. $40, is very compact, thick enough to use on rocky ground, when or if it ever wears out, I'll get another.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015I3J16C/ref=dp_iou_view_item?ie=UTF8&th=1

51G6AafAIzL._AC_US200_.jpg

I have two. One is mat only and rolls up. Its the Midway Pro Series Competition. The other is a tri-fold rifle bag/drag bag/backpack/shooting mat combination from Galati Gear. Both work well and each has it's pros and cons, but the Galati means an all-in-one solution, not a rifle bag and a separate mat.

I have the Midway Pro series mat. It's ok but it's still kinda bulky when it's rolled up. Like Roc Doc said, it can get dirt on the good side when you roll it up. I also store mine rolled up and it that makes it take a memory and stay rolled up when I want to use it. However after a couple minutes it's mostly flat again. I've never used the stake holes or the pockets. As far as size, it seems ok. I'm sure my feet hang off the back but I don't notice. It's plenty wide for what I do. I only use it a couple times a year when I shoot in my yard to get load data. I haven't seen a shooting mat at a competition in a few years.

Mine won't be used for competition so much as it will be used to practice with and also gather data. The range I'm using for long-distance shooting has barn stall mats on top of gravel, but they're cut in half, so they're just barely wide enough to lay on, causing my elbows to get pretty torn up.

Cabela's seems to be in the lead right now with a cost vs features comparison for what I think I want. I need to make a trip out to my nearest store and see it in person before buying...

Midway pro when they're on sale sale for $40. Little padding, bipod straps, and a few pockets.

They even include little stakes to keep it from blowing away on the windy days.

Top Back Refresh