What's new

Shock towers with the bolt going the other way?

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Building a jeep with trailing arms in the rear. Was thinking that the bolts should be parallel with the axle on the frame side also.

I can find a lot on nice options for your standard shock tower with the bolt parallel to the frame. I'm curious if anyone makes one going the other way.

I may end up just making them. Or saying f it and running a normal shock tower since it probably doesn't matter.

it doesn't matter if you are using spherical bearings with enough travel, it would matter if you are using rubber bushings on both ends.

it doesn't matter if you are using spherical bearings with enough travel, it would matter if you are using rubber bushings on both ends.

I realize that, I just feel like the "right" way is to have the bolts both parallel to the axle. I actually ordered all the shocks from accutune and see if they'll sell me just those towers. Or if they offer something else similar.

the Aesthetic way would be to make them match.

the right way is to mount them so they don't bind :flipoff2:

how many angles are you using through the full range of motion?

I used these from Wide Open Design on my rear hoops, to run the bolt the way you're describing:

https://www.wideopendesign.com/shock...ation-kit-pair

Simple enough to make your own as well, but I was ordering a bunch of other stuff from them at the time.

11361853355_9d7b97f7cf_b.jpg

I'm not a fan of tube hoops personally.

Although I see a lot of these plate ones are 1/4 thick, which is dumb heavy. The last ones I made were 1/8" and held up to a lot.

Are we talking about a tower that is going to stick up into the tub, or your normal everyday type tower?

Just thinking out loud but, don't most towers end up being a pain to get to the backside of? Like you pretty much can't? Having to fish a nut behind the tower might suck.

Are we talking about a tower that is going to stick up into the tub, or your normal everyday type tower?

Just thinking out loud but, don't most towers end up being a pain to get to the backside of? Like you pretty much can't? Having to fish a nut behind the tower might suck.

Not going through the tub, that was kinda the idea behind the trailing arms (12" shock instead of 16") it will be tight to the tub, but not that tight.

I guess I'm getting trolled? :flipoff2:​​​​​​

These are for coilovers on a trailing arm. So definitely not using a stupid stud mount :laughing:

I guess I'm getting trolled? :flipoff2:​​​​​​

These are for coilovers on a trailing arm. So definitely not using a stupid stud mount :laughing:

Well now I feel like a jackass, reading comprehension is failing today and saw 12" travel somewhere so didn't realize it was coilovers :homer:

Top Back Refresh