What's new

Shock tool overview

I like how you used your super powers to move the vise out of the way.

Thanks for taking the time to do this

Last edited:
Who makes that double ended spanner with the smaller spanners in the middle? I want to do some snooping inside my 2.5 Fox SxS shocks but am afraid I'll fuck them all up using the wrong tools/wrenches. A universal one that fits a few different configurations would be ideal.

Who makes that double ended spanner with the smaller spanners in the middle? I want to do some snooping inside my 2.5 Fox SxS shocks but am afraid I'll fuck them all up using the wrong tools/wrenches. A universal one that fits a few different configurations would be ideal.

Poly Performance

What does the seal bullet do? Do you insert it through the seal before putting the shaft through?

The bullet goes over the shock tenon (where the piston bolts on) or the rodend threads (where the eyelet bolts) to allow the rod guide (seal carrier) to slide onto the shaft without tearing or damaging the seal. This part should have a very good surface finish.

What does the seal bullet do? Do you insert it through the seal before putting the shaft through?

It makes it so you can't mess up the wiper and seals when pushing it the shaft through it, it goes over the threaded part of the shaft.

Yay for outtakes :lmao:

For durometers, are cheap ones ($30-40) decent enough for light use?

Thanks for posting, been waiting to see this. Noticed you had a couple of brass picks. Any certain reason to use brass?

I think that’s just cad plating. Those arent pics, they are seal pulling tools. They are definitely not soft. If they were they would probably deform before the seals were out.

I think that’s just cad plating. Those arent pics, they are seal pulling tools. They are definitely not soft. If they were they would probably deform before the seals were out.

Gotcha, thanks. Couldn’t really tell in the video, that’s why I was curious.

For the round section retaining rings, the best tool I’ve found is to take a ~1.6x.008 shim and bend it into a Pringle shape. I like to put a crease on one side so I know never to put that shim in a shock. You can then slide that shim between the shock body and the wire ring, kinda like a shoe horn. You can use a pick, but I try to avoid metal pics near sealing surfaces if I can avoid it.

I've seen seal removers that were made from old flat blade screwdrivers, start with a sander to create a spoon shape, then gray deburring wheel on a bench grinder to polish. No better than what you linked, but possibly free if you have an old rounded off screwdriver that you can't warranty.

Great video. Thanks for taking the time to do it. I just stepped up to coilovers and bypass shocks, so I'm all ears on any info you're willing to share.

D4EB3DD3-8526-4025-BCBD-81A4B8183558.jpeg

1978207E-29B8-4CDF-9279-E9434E49586A.jpeg

B4DA635C-A09F-430D-895C-C5C5550A219B.jpeg

9A6CD09C-9C40-4CA0-AF12-128F389E10B9.jpeg

photo9363.jpg

photo9364.jpg

Top Back Refresh