What's new

Shock Therapy

Socsmm6

Member Number
Has anyone tried shock therapy’s dual rate springs or shock revalve? If so was there much difference between them and stock?
Thinking about trying them on my xrc 64”.

Shock Therapy is a joke, their shock tuning sucks at best and all they sell you is a generic valving package that may or may not work for you. The form they have you fill out with specs is just a feel good measure for the customer so they think they are getting their money's worth.....

If you want to go with a real shock tuner I recommend George White at Double E Racing in Louisiana. He is the exclusive shock tuner for the Can-Am factory racers, Hunter and Cody Miller, and just about everyone I race with at Texplex including my car. George is the man when it comes to SxS shocks. Give him a call and talk to him about what you want.

The SxS racing season is ending and KOH is just around the corner so he's probably going to get very busy in the next few weeks to a month with racer/KOH shock builds. if your serious about getting your shocks tuned give him a call.

Thanks for answering this as I was just about to pull the trigger on the ST dual rate kit for my 64" XXC. I rode 250 miles last weekend and the light chop beat me to death but the big drops and hard hits were taken pretty well on the stock Fox setup... I did already ditch the front sway bar.

I can provide corner weights and such to double E... it appears that the ST web form is trying to calculate that? The FB groups rave about it, but they are also mostly golf cart drivers or "full send without finesse" mindset people with few actual "drivers" in between.

My rzr came shock tuned by shock therapy. It is a markable improvement over the stock walker evans shocks of my friends cars. Mine has tuning only with stock springs and it’s too soft now after adding all the race equipment and making the car heavier. I switched to Fox IBP’s with ZBros coil springs. For going fast the new shocks are required. But if I’m going on a trail ride the shock therapy tuned walker’s ride like a cloud of titties.

It’s certainly almost all completely on opposite ends of the spectrum in online reviews for sure.

The spring kit seems like a fairly good bet. A bit more than the Eibach set and it might probably actually be set for your rigs weight (driver/passenger, mods, cargo).

Following and waiting. Got other stuff to do and figure out how much mine will really get used.

The ST stuff is better than nothing, but the people I know that have it aren't fans and I've seen multiple posts by shock rebuilders of ST reassembling people's shocks incorrectly. So the spring kit is probably worth a shot, but I definitely wouldn't send my shocks to them.

Assuming you haven't done so, I would make sure your suspension and ride height are set up correctly and then drop your tire pressure into the single digits. I've run 8psi on mine since day 1 (without beadlocks back then) and it really helps soak up the little stuff. Mine was a 64" base model and it performed amazingly good being 100% stock, though I agree that chop (especially the gnarly washboard) can become pretty brutal.

George @ Double E Racing will set you up with springs and valving as a package. He thinks outside the box with his spring length and rate setups so it's best to get the entire package from him to avoid running mismatched parts.

My foxes are going to liberty mountain fab in Carson NV after finals. Been tuning with Phil for years on the big car. We’ll see what magic he can do to the golf cart shocks.

That cloud of titties ride is what im looking for. I dont race and see very little high speed stuff. Mostly hills, rocks and pretty rough trails. Im averaging about 8mph by the trip meter.
It usually takes a day of recovery for my back after a day of riding. Im to old for this stuff but it beats the hell out of watching paint dry. Lol

That cloud of titties ride is what im looking for. I dont race and see very little high speed stuff. Mostly hills, rocks and pretty rough trails. Im averaging about 8mph by the trip meter.
It usually takes a day of recovery for my back after a day of riding. Im to old for this stuff but it beats the hell out of watching paint dry. Lol
Clouds of titties are a YMMV type thing. I’ve been in lots of different off road cars and do race.

How soft one rides is totally dependent on how fast you go all the time. A stiff ass car at 8mph might be the cloud at 25. A stiff ass car at 25 might be the cloud at 40.

The ST stuff is better than nothing, but the people I know that have it aren't fans and I've seen multiple posts by shock rebuilders of ST reassembling people's shocks incorrectly. So the spring kit is probably worth a shot, but I definitely wouldn't send my shocks to them.

Assuming you haven't done so, I would make sure your suspension and ride height are set up correctly and then drop your tire pressure into the single digits. I've run 8psi on mine since day 1 (without beadlocks back then) and it really helps soak up the little stuff. Mine was a 64" base model and it performed amazingly good being 100% stock, though I agree that chop (especially the gnarly washboard) can become pretty brutal.
I set up the shocks according to the fox instructions and running 8psi. Had about 15.5-16” of ground clearance. Dont have but 14” now. Factory springs are known to settle pretty bad

When you talk to a shock tuner make sure you give them this info. Just because a tuner can build a bad ass set of race shocks it doesn't mean they can't build shocks for the trail/crawler crowd. A real shock tuner can dial in shocks for any conditions and not just be a one trick pony.

I put the ST springs on my General and it's night and day compared to stock. I don't race or anything like that but for every day type of driving it's tits for me. The wife approves as well.

Clouds of titties are a YMMV type thing. I’ve been in lots of different off road cars and do race.

How soft one rides is totally dependent on how fast you go all the time. A stiff ass car at 8mph might be the cloud at 25. A stiff ass car at 25 might be the cloud at 40.
You can tune for different velocities without sacrificing on for the other. A well tuned shock will be comfortable at all speeds. Having to proper spring rate goes a long way to achieving this. Trying to compensate for the wrong spring rates with valving never works out well.

You can tune for different velocities without sacrificing on for the other. A well tuned shock will be comfortable at all speeds.
You have to be really fucking good for that to actually be true.

You have to be really fucking good for that to actually be true.
It takes a bit to figure out but it ain't that difficult. Main thing is being able to make the proper diagnosis. Good video is key to watching what a car is doing.

My xrc has the qs3 shocks on it. I cant really tell any difference from the 1 setting to the 3 setting.
ST claims their revalving will make a much more noticeable difference between the settings

It takes a bit to figure out but it ain't that difficult. Main thing is being able to make the proper diagnosis. Good video is key to watching what a car is doing.
IDK man.
I've been lucky enough to put my ass in a lot of really nice cars and most race winning ones don't feel really nice at non-race pace.

You can tune for different velocities without sacrificing on for the other. A well tuned shock will be comfortable at all speeds. Having to proper spring rate goes a long way to achieving this. Trying to compensate for the wrong spring rates with valving never works out well.
That’s not how that works actually. Of course you can under spring a car. I’ve shock tuned with some of the best most respected names in shock tuning. Every one of the wants the softest springs to hold the car up and control everything with the valving.

These IFS cars with low weight, and big leverage on the a-arms/trailing arms makes tuning harder. My walker evans shocks are super cushy for trail riding and light crawling. But when I go faster I blow right through all my up travel and smash the chassis on the ground, because the walkers dampening is linear end to end.

With the foxes the dampening is progressive and the rebound adjustable. So my racing shocks are “stiffer” to keep from softly comfortably blowing through all my up travel and breaking my back when the chassis hits the ground. It feels nice and cushy at race speed but at 25 mph on a trail ride I’d like my walkers back on it.
7FDDEEAC-2B3E-4DDA-BE6F-CDB5B90C0DAC.png
9F70A914-9E47-4035-BB11-051772E9905C.png

My xrc has the qs3 shocks on it. I cant really tell any difference from the 1 setting to the 3 setting.
ST claims their revalving will make a much more noticeable difference between the settings

Same shocks came stock on my Talon. Double E Racing replaces that 3 position garbage with a true high/low speed compression adjuster.

Do you have the factory seats? One of the first things we did was swap out the stock seats for PRPs, help keep some of the vibrations away. The stock suspension seemed more optimized for going fast, The Kings I now have feel a lot nicer at slow speed than the stock QS3 shocks, so definitely room for improvement.

My XXC will break your damn back on setting 3, to the point that its useless, especially with just me in it. I learned that just recently when we unloaded in Hatfield. I had set them on 3 to try and reduce some of the bouncing on the trailer while hauling it and then we took off first evening with me forgetting to click them back down to 2 or 1 even... hit a gravel service road and I had to radio down the leader to ask to stop and had the ATV riders click them down for me real quick to save me from jumping out. After 50 feet they had settled back down and weren't nearly as rough on that cobble road (King Coal Highway side road in Delbarton if anyone knows it).

Ya'll have me thinking back into the ST or at least something. I don't race but I do ride fast... however I also putz around some farmland and not every trip is hauling ass. Getting the range broader between the 1 setting and 3 setting on the QS3 would be nice, to where 1 is acutally useful for CoT ride quality, and then 3 is tight and stiff from some go faster stuff. Right now 1 is still too harsh, and 3 is just painful.

I have the ST dual rate springs on my '18 Rock and Trail. I am still running stock valving so I can't comment on that side. The springs are so much better than the factory garbage. I will most likely have the local guy tune/rebuild the shocks when I have it done. He's been doing it 25+ years from what I am told and is pretty respected in the KC area.

A friend had ST revalve his shocks a couple years ago and he said they are very soft. He added an Eibach rear sway bar because the factory rear sway bar wasn't heavy enough. He has said it rides super cush but has quite of bit of body roll on side hills and high speed corners.

+1 on replacing the factory seats if you are still running them. I am running PRP XC and love them. The have lower side bolsters than the GT/SE so it's easier to get in and out of but still comfy as shit for all day trail riding.

Do you have the factory seats? One of the first things we did was swap out the stock seats for PRPs, help keep some of the vibrations away. The stock suspension seemed more optimized for going fast, The Kings I now have feel a lot nicer at slow speed than the stock QS3 shocks, so definitely room for improvement.
I changed the factory seats out. Helped out a lot with the ride quality

That’s not how that works actually. Of course you can under spring a car. I’ve shock tuned with some of the best most respected names in shock tuning. Every one of the wants the softest springs to hold the car up and control everything with the valving.

These IFS cars with low weight, and big leverage on the a-arms/trailing arms makes tuning harder. My walker evans shocks are super cushy for trail riding and light crawling. But when I go faster I blow right through all my up travel and smash the chassis on the ground, because the walkers dampening is linear end to end.

With the foxes the dampening is progressive and the rebound adjustable. So my racing shocks are “stiffer” to keep from softly comfortably blowing through all my up travel and breaking my back when the chassis hits the ground. It feels nice and cushy at race speed but at 25 mph on a trail ride I’d like my walkers back on it.
7FDDEEAC-2B3E-4DDA-BE6F-CDB5B90C0DAC.png
9F70A914-9E47-4035-BB11-051772E9905C.png

Well, I to have worked with, raced with and made parts for just about everybody. Anybody that wants light springs that "just hold up the car" does not know what they are doing. If you are ever in doubt of this, talk with Irebe at King, Todd Tenbroke formerly of Fox or Joel Ward from Bilstien. The whole light spring myth was made up to sell bigger shocks.

Well, I to have worked with, raced with and made parts for just about everybody. Anybody that wants light springs that "just hold up the car" does not know what they are doing. If you are ever in doubt of this, talk with Irebe at King, Todd Tenbroke formerly of Fox or Joel Ward from Bilstien. The whole light spring myth was made up to sell bigger shocks.
Who have you worked for? Iribe is the first person I ever tuned with. Like everyone after him he sprung the car light and did all the work with the valving.

A lot o
Who have you worked for? Iribe is the first person I ever tuned with. Like everyone after him he sprung the car light and did all the work with the valving.

A lot of people between machining and race car prep I have gotten around. I have been making shock parts since the early 90's.

Iribe race in the TT I used to prept, was his first drive in one. His dad is classic. We upped the rates on that truck with him the first time we went testing in Barstow.

Same with the 8 truck that was next. Went from 2"+ preload on 2.5's to 3.0 with a tender spring.

I have tuned 2 other pre-runners with him and both went up in rate.

So, me experience with him is a little different.

May be a dumb question bdkw1 but do you have experience with solid front axle Ultra4 rigs ?

We’re way off in the weeds for a SXS thread now. We race limited class straight axle cars so no trailing arms allowed. My first car Iribe had 16” 125’s over 16” 150’s on 14” shocks with 7” of pre load. 1:1 ratio it was the only way that seemed to work to keep it from mule kicking in the back on whoops.

Top Back Refresh