What's new

Shock relocation

dixiepc

Member Number
Looking for ideas on relocating rear shocks on a 4x4 GMT-400. Hoping to relocate both upper mounts forward of the axle. The axle end will be straight forward.

I ran a 1x2 between the frame rail and bed floor, welded in with tabs so my shocks look like this / \. I’ll grab a pic here in a bit

Something like that

Attachments

• CCF36A03-AD46-4070-A167-C86FEDCA5D9E.jpeg
    CCF36A03-AD46-4070-A167-C86FEDCA5D9E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
That’s correct, I wasn’t too concerned about dampening more concerned about binding and impact

Still needed some sort of damping. Shocks still work, it’s just not optimal. Good thing it ain’t a fucking race truck

Your posts are contradicting. You say you don't care about damping and it's not a race truck, then why do you need to change how they're mounted? What are you trying to gain?

It’s not that I don’t care about damping, I just didn’t care that the mounting points weren’t allowing optimal damping like a race truck or something of that nature. I changed how they were mounted because the lower mounts hung about 6” below the axle tube and the upper mounts created binding and stress on the shock in articulation. I was trying to gain clearance and less stress on the shocks by relocating.

It’s not that I don’t care about damping, I just didn’t care that the mounting points weren’t allowing optimal damping like a race truck or something of that nature. I changed how they were mounted because the lower mounts hung about 6” below the axle tube and the upper mounts created binding and stress on the shock in articulation. I was trying to gain clearance and less stress on the shocks by relocating.

I get that you're not after maximum damping, but mounting them at a 45* angle kills a lot of it.

Top Back Refresh