What's new

Sherman the '81 Pickup

TheeCaseyH

Red Skull Member
ST4x4
Member Number
Loc
Lodi, CA
I have had this truck for over 10 years now and it has been a slow but steady typical Toyota build. I had a couple build threads over on Marlin's forum but, I thought I would move everything here instead. Ill start this thread with the abridged steps of the build up until this point. Then I'll update it periodically as I do more stuff.
I think I bought the truck back in 2012ish with 109k miles. It was still rolling on 235/75r15s and all stock.

toyota day 1.jpg

OG 22r.jpg

Then I added some 31's, 4.56''s with a welded rear diff, and wheeled it like this for a while.

bear river trip.jpg

flex.jpg

Next step was to add a lift.

I went with the typical RUF spring and 2wd F150 rear springs with a 2 inch lift block.

hanging front springs.jpg

Hanging Rear Springs.jpg

Added the Trail Gear doubler while I had it all torn apart.

crawl box.jpg

After It was all done I had it sitting on 35's with 5.29s and still a welded rear diff.

after lift.jpg

1st flex test.jpg

After that, I wheeled it a bunch and went to the Rubicon a few times. Moved to Texas then moved back. There was no way I was ever going to get it back to smog compliant in CA without a cat and with a Weber 32/36. I got the idea to 2/3rz swap it but, I could not find a good donor. I did however find a decent deal on a wrecked T100 with a 3.4L 5vzfe. So the process began swapping the engine and getting the CARB to approve it.

t100.jpg

t100 engine.jpg

Got the 22r pulled, and 5vz in it's new home.

Pulling 22r.jpg

5vz test fit.jpg

I used a 91 4runner R150f 5 speed ,Advance Adapters gear drive transfer case adapter, and Front Range Offroad crossmember/skid plate.

r150 and duals.jpg

While I had it torn apart, I added a Sky's Offroad front spring hanger. I guess if you can't weld good, weld a lot:homer:

skys hanger raw.jpg

Skys Spring Hanger painted.jpg

Got the swap completed and even had the smog ref approve it. :cool:cool

5vz 1024.jpg

Having all the power of the new 5vz, the 35's were too small for the 5.29s so I stepped up to some big ol' 37's. Now it drives perfect and I dont hate life trying to drive uphill or into a moderate headwind.

Last edited:
Next step was to redo the rear axle. During one trip to the Rubicon, I ended up destroying the rear pinion. It locked up at the bottom of Indian trail and just before the V-notch by Buck Island. I wasn't even doing anything crazy. I thought I was stuck on a small rack and when I backed, it made that unmistakable pop.

dead pinion.jpg

Almost didn't fit on the trailer with The Compensator lol.
trailer.jpg

Back to tearing it apart. I used a 1987 Pickup rear axle and a 2003 Tacoma E-locker diff. I originally planned to put the Tacoma diff in my front axle but since I blew up the old 4 cylinder rear diff I didn't really have a choice or the extra cash to be picky. Luckily all those years ago I bought the YES warranty for the gear from Randy's Worldwide and the shipped me the gears for the Tacoma diff under warranty. I also used 12volt Guy's locker harness/switch to wire it all up and it works perfectly.

ifs rear axle.jpg

e locker added.jpg

Next I added a traction bar which helped immensely. I was having terrible axle wrap under acceleration and during braking especially with the 5vz.

trac bar.jpg

Next step was rebuilding the front axle. While I was being yanked out of the trail after breaking my rear diff, I realized the front birf(s) were starting to pop while turning. So I rebuilt the front axle. I used 30 spline RCVs, IFS hubs to ditch the wheel spacers, IFS pickup calipers and late 90's 4Runner rotors for a slip off setup.

ifs hubs.jpg

Then added an All Pro front bumper for funzies.
All Pro Bumper Added.jpg

This is where it sits today. Next I need to rebuild the double because I am pretty sure it has some worn out bearings causing the shift lever to move during loading/unloading. Then I am going to be building a Toyota 9.5 rear axle with a FJ 40 center section and minitruck shafts and brakes which will let me move the current Tacoma locker to the front axle.

Nice dare to be different eng.:smokin:
Ferd r150, some bible tech I was unaware of.

I'd Ditch the bellows breathers, caused my wheel/axle seals to failgear on the taco...

Moar yota:flipoff2:

We need more first gens!

I have a white 82 sitting in my side yard. My mom bought it from a dealer in ~84, and I grew up in it. So I definitely have a soft spot for them :smokin:

We need more first gens!

I have a white 82 sitting in my side yard. My mom bought it from a dealer in ~84, and I grew up in it. So I definitely have a soft spot for them :smokin:
That's awesome! The guy I bought my truck was basically the 2nd owner. His dad bought it new from Folsom Lake Toyota for $13k and 20%APR according to the bill of sale that came with it.

Nice dare to be different eng.:smokin:
Ferd r150, some bible tech I was unaware of.

I'd Ditch the bellows breathers, caused my wheel/axle seals to failgear on the taco...

Moar yota:flipoff2:
I've been meaning to get rid of them but they haven't caused problems yet. Or maybe there is a hole in them I don't know about lol. After the engine swap I'm glad I never found a 4 cylinder.

Made it to the Rubicon between Jeep Jamboree and Rubithon. We basically had the trail to ourselves. Started at Loon and made it to Little Sluice on day 1. Then went to Rubicon Springs on day 2. Went home on day 3. Hit Soup Bowl on day 1. My buddy walked right up and I got denied. I was so close, the front end would climb then lose traction with 1 tire spinning. I would have made it if I had a front locker. Day 2 started off with me getting hung up on my rear diff, rear drive shaft, and trac bar in the middle of Little Sluice because I took a line that was better for something with less wheelbase. A little creativity with the winch and I was good to go. Had a great time. When I got home and assessed the damage I found 1 bad ujoint, more rashes on the trac bar and transfer case skid, and almost lost my front drain plug on my axle. Also I'm pretty sure i need to do a complete rebuild on my transfer cases. Picture dump below. I am terrible at taking pictures because we really don't stop and just keep wheeling.
Wentworth Springs Group.jpg

Wentworth Bridge.jpg

Soup Bowl.jpg

Jason Soup Bowl.jpg

Stuck.jpg

Brent Jeep Climb.jpg

and the obligatory Observation Point group photo:beer:
Observation Point.jpg

Also fun fact: if you need a higher output alternator for the 3.4, Napa p/n 213- 9589 fits almost perfect. All you need to do is grind down the the pivot/mounting side of the case to make it fit in the bracket. Then drill out the tensioner bolt and you're good to go. The positive post and harness plug are clocked a little different and the pukkey is a little bigger but it fits without any other mods and it has 120amp output.

Top Back Refresh