What's new

Shackle length v angle

WHATAHEEP

I heard there was pizza
Member Number
Loc
Baltimore
Does a shorter shackle length cause a noticeable difference in angle over long lift shackles? I can add more details for my story but the short version is I have currently have long shackles with a shitty angle and looking at options

angle changes spring rate

The angle of the shackle can stiffen or soften a spring's normal rate. You can determine the effective angle of a shackle by drawing a line through the middle of both spring eyes and a line through the shackle pivots. Then measure the angle formed by the two lines (measure ahead of the shackle - see illus. 3). You can increase the effective rate of a leaf spring by decreasing the shackle angle. An increase in shackle angle will produce a decrease in the effective leaf spring rate of a leaf spring.

Ok I get that. I currently have a less than ideal spring rate causing a stiffer ride than I want. I think my shackle angle is at least partly to blame at best not helping the stiff lift springs. To fix that I'm asking those with experience if replacing shackles with a different length, which would cause the whole spring to move in the direction of the shackle, would be enough to even notice an angle change. I might be able to turn the hangers around backwards but I don't know if they would clear. I'm not trying to get too deep into mods with this right now that's why I put it in the newb section. Just daydreaming about a softer ride in my Mall Crawler.

The longer story for anyone interested is that I finally got around to doing a frame swap on my rusted out CJ. When I bought the donor frame as a roller it had new springs and shackles already installed. These are 4 " lift springs with a significant arch and what I believe are atleast 2" longer than stock shackles. This Jeep is now mostly a sunny day cruiser and yard tractor. It will not be be used for hard wheeling anytime soon so I left that suspension installed. My old set up was a semi custom set up with springs recommended by my local drive line shop. It used 4 of the same size rear springs on all four corners. This means using the custom hangers and axle plates in the front. It was still spring under. These leaf packs had stock length shackles. They are about a 10 leaf pack that allowed leaves to be changed around for tuning. I don't really want to swap that set up on to the current Jeep since it would require some parts that I don't feel like it's worth the cost to replace. All of the bushings and banged up parts would need to be fixed to swap that in. I had already broken a leaf or two in those packs and replaced at least one corner. This setup worked fine but wasn't amazing. It would be nice to get a better ride quality without doing a complete suspension redo. I will add some pics later since everyone love pics.

Shackle length is more about allowing your springs to move through their arc.

If your shackle is too short, you limit the amount the leaf can travel.

If your shackle is too long... well it's no big deal.

Last edited:
My money says you will need softer springs to get what you want.

I softened the ride of my stiff springs a bit with more shackle angle. That is, straight vertical rode like shit. I made them up longer too, so I didn't lose ride height.

If your shakle is effecting your spring rate you're doing something wrong.

Short shackles with to much angle can bind the pack and raise the rate, this is very hard on the springs.

Everything for shackles can be answered by "it depends"...

Spring arch
Uptravel from ride height
Downtravel from ride height
Spring rate
Spring length
Spring thickness/amount of leaves
Perch mounting geometry
And more...

Post a pic of your rig and describe the setup, leaf brand and model, shocks, as much as you can. Yes, shackle angle has some impact on spring rate and jacking but on 4x4s with decent travel those effects are minimal compared to the actual spring itself.

In typical forum fashion you guys have way oversolved my problem.:lmao: I typically drive this thing no more than 6 mlesi round trip and I just don't want it to bounce hard enough to spill drinks in my kids hands. I threw the heaviest bumpers on it I have and a spare tire and it's good as s***.

In typical forum fashion you guys have way oversolved my problem.:lmao: I typically drive this thing no more than 6 mlesi round trip and I just don't want it to bounce hard enough to spill drinks in my kids hands. I threw the heaviest bumpers on it I have and a spare tire and it's good as s***.

How many mlesi's is that in American:flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh