What's new

Shackle angle

Onebad68

Kind of a big deal
Member Number
Loc
Hermiston, Oregon
I am in the process of a frame off on an 87’ K10 shortbox. I picked up some 8” front springs, Dana60/14bolt and bolted them in. My rear shackle angle is terrible and I am not sure why or what I need to do to fix this. Will be mostly driven on the street or taken out for snow wheeling.

I realize there is no weight on it yet but it sat just like this when the cab was on the frame as well.

Attachments

• 53991B77-FD96-4E9D-9855-66A8964F9B6F.jpeg
    53991B77-FD96-4E9D-9855-66A8964F9B6F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
  • C8482761-93C3-4A34-9D0B-1E6804BEF0D2.jpeg
    C8482761-93C3-4A34-9D0B-1E6804BEF0D2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 315542C3-8D20-4F9B-AE1B-91502516803D.jpeg
    315542C3-8D20-4F9B-AE1B-91502516803D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
Springs are 73-87 lift springs. I originally thought these were too short and for 72' and earlier. They had the factory stenciled paint on them before I painted them. I know that just tossing longer shackles on there will mess with the axle and steering ability. Does anyone know of a good write up explaining what I need to do?

Add revolver shackles (or something that looks like them)?

*Disclaimer: I have no experience with, nor do I know if revolver shackles are snake oil or not.

hqdefault.jpg

It looks like they took to short of a spring and just arched it to lift 8" not taking into account with that much arch you need to start with a longer spring. The junkyard scrounge type of fix would be replace the main leaf with something like a stock 52" rear leaf and keep the rest of the lifted pack. Is there any chance the front hangers have been moved at some point in the trucks life? The cheap way to get 52's on a stock truck is to flip the hanger from behind the front body mount to the other side and in front of body mount. ( So passenger hanger and support bracket becomes driver side and vice-versa) I have seen people move the hanger to directly under the body mount to get tires out of rear of fenders.

I am in the process of a frame off on an 87’ K10 shortbox. I picked up some 8” front springs, Dana60/14bolt and bolted them in. My rear shackle angle is terrible and I am not sure why or what I need to do to fix this. Will be mostly driven on the street or taken out for snow wheeling.

I realize there is no weight on it yet but it sat just like this when the cab was on the frame as well.
A 1" longer shackle will make a big difference in angle and not affect very much for steering in pinion (thats what shims are for btw)

Not only do you not have any wieght on them (no just the cab is not enough) but theyre also brand new. That shackle will stand up better (if theyre even the right springs) after it finished assembly and driven on for a few months.

Put it on the backburner till the rest of the truck is together and you have full weight on there. Most likely need a longer shackle.

I dealt with arched stock-length leafs on my Dodge. I ended up remaking/relocating the front hangers back an inch, and then shifting the axle forward again on the perch locating pins. That put the shackles at a decent angle.

Top Back Refresh