What's new

Seized Alternators

TrailTamer

🤣🖕🏻
Member Number
Loc
Down By The River
I am posting this in the newb section, because I have a feeling I am missing something...

I am frustrated, on how my jeeps' alternators (Jeep 4.0 vintage) keep on locking up after sitting for a period of time. Every single fucking time. I made a habit to bring a ratchet with 7/8" socket, for to break the alternator loose prior firing up, or either starter will fail to turn engine over, OR belt stay stationary while engine is running, slipping at crank pulley.

I sprayed copious of WD-40, PB Blaster, etc. into alternator's internals wherever I could. This didn't help.

WTF is going on? what can I do to stop this?

Yes no amount of wd40 or anything else sprayed into the alternator will help as the bearings are sealed with the exception of the torrington bearing on the inside end.

Have the alternator rebuilt by a local shop dont buy some cheap crap from china, will most likely solve your problem.

As in multiple alternators? First I have heard of this issue.
yes, multiple
Yes no amount of wd40 or anything else sprayed into the alternator will help as the bearings are sealed with the exception of the torrington bearing on the inside end.

Have the alternator rebuilt by a local shop dont buy some cheap crap from china, will most likely solve your problem.
they're all OEM as far as I can see. No China junk.

Depending on the year OEM is China junk, anything past 1995 or there abouts according to ex boss is Chinese crap.

they're all OEM as far as I can see. No China junk.

Alternators I sourced are from running and driving Jeeps I parted out. My XJ predictably make them to seize after sitting for at least a month. I avoid puddles and mud pits wherever I could.

I can try the local rebuilder, but I fear this issue will continue. :homer:

Most likely a bearing lube issue, from the factory bearings like the torrington roller needle bearings have a light lube on them that is meant to keep them from getting rusty but more lube should be applied and the chink mfgs of most alts that are made neglect this very basic step.

If it was a bearing seizure issue, it would be making all kinds of sounds when it 's running so I would highly doubt that is the issue. Most likely it's the aperture freezing to the stator. Here's a good video on the subject:

Good luck... :beer:

If it was a bearing seizure issue, it would be making all kinds of sounds when it 's running so I would highly doubt that is the issue. Most likely it's the aperture freezing to the stator. Here's a good video on the subject:
Good luck... :beer:

That actually look like exactly what I’m dealing with! On Saturday I was welcomed to extra-seized alternator :eek:. Took a lot of oomph on 24” ratchet to start turning. I was showered in corrosion from alternator’s guts (white stuff).

Btw I’m deaf :flipoff2:

So your using used shit? And complaining about it? Try a friggen new one.

What I would do is find a good local alternator rebuilding company. Take a seized alternator to them to have them tear it down and see exactly why it seized and what they would do to prevent it from doing so in the future. Then pay them to rebuild it and have in writing that they will warranty it for 1 year or X amount of time. Then if you have a problem, remove and take back to them to fix again for you and get the warranty period starting over.

I had a starter that failed 3 times in 2 years on a truck. Bendix spring wouldn't engage it or similar issue. Took to local shop that said yeah I got a better setup I can put in to fix it. They had a 1 yr warranty on it and never had an issue after doing that as well.

I've got the same issue with a dodge short bus that I occasionally use around the yard. Replaced the alt a couple times before drenching the case of the alt with oil while running so the internal fan blew oil through its innards. Been fine since.

The clearances between the rotor & stator are so tight that corrosion from moisture in the air wedges it tight if it sits a few months. Lots of surface area, so it doesn't take a lot to make it more than the belt can turn.

I've got the same issue with a dodge short bus that I occasionally use around the yard. Replaced the alt a couple times before drenching the case of the alt with oil while running so the internal fan blew oil through its innards. Been fine since.

The clearances between the rotor & stator are so tight that corrosion from moisture in the air wedges it tight if it sits a few months. Lots of surface area, so it doesn't take a lot to make it more than the belt can turn.
That’s what I’m seeing

This happened to me this fall.

My '04 f150 sat for a few months in the warehouse, original alt, 140,000 kms.

Fired it up and the belt was screaming. Instead of shutting it off I popped the hood and jumped out to see what was seized. Alternator not turning, but belt was going round. Shut it down and looked for some water to cool the pulley. Cooled it a bit then ran motor again to move the hot spot on the belt, then cooled again with water. Busted it loose with a breaker bar.

It's been fine ever since, but I really should buy a spare belt to keep with me.

Weather finally cooperated today so I took the opportunity to get the seized alternator out. It indeed corroded on inside to a point the case cracked and opened up.

The last pic, from left to right
12v Cummins - ZJ v8 - OE replacement XJ

12v cummins alternator is seized and split just the same way. It look identical to ZJ v8 except for B+ plastic guard clocking. FWIW

E1579D58-91B3-458B-A882-A32CE01F81A1.jpeg

4B66EFEA-1B39-4032-AC41-02E39806DA59.jpeg

980D52D7-1937-407E-BAB9-76F0231CD355.jpeg

62881AD1-63DB-4D5B-9681-6B91918B2EA2.jpeg

Weather finally cooperated today so I took the opportunity to get the seized alternator out. It indeed corroded on inside to a point the case cracked and opened up.

The last pic, from left to right
12v Cummins - ZJ v8 - OE replacement XJ

12v cummins alternator is seized and split just the same way. It look identical to ZJ v8 except for B+ plastic guard clocking. FWIW

E1579D58-91B3-458B-A882-A32CE01F81A1.jpeg

4B66EFEA-1B39-4032-AC41-02E39806DA59.jpeg

980D52D7-1937-407E-BAB9-76F0231CD355.jpeg

62881AD1-63DB-4D5B-9681-6B91918B2EA2.jpeg
My Aunt had that happen on a 2005ish F150.

Aaron Z

Maybe wash the shit out of it every once N a while.
I wash mud and shit off my jeep thoroughly after every wheeling (I hate get rained on of sand, rock, mud under it).

And what you see in my pics, is what happened regardless.... :emb: (the mud on one side of it was from letting it to hit the ground on removal:flipoff2: )

Top Back Refresh