What's new

Second Gen Tracker/Vitara T-Case/Drivetrain - Potential Upgrades?

F
I think the biggest challenge for most is the adapter between the trans and tcase. Both sides are male splined. You would need someone to manufacture the coupler, or weld something together like the kicker3.

There was a company that made an adapter for a 4spd to yota case. Low Range maybe? I cant find anything anymore.
flanges on both with a ujoint between?

F

flanges on both with a ujoint between?
You would need to convert the yota tcase to divorced, to seal up the front, i believe. With the 4spd, you would need the tail shaft seal, and could use the sami slip yoke, i believe. Yota cases work for a crawler only, but doesnt address one that you want to drive on the street.

the 4spd adapter had a yota tail housing, with an adapter to put it on the 4spd, and a coupler for the shafts.

You would need to convert the yota tcase to divorced, to seal up the front, i believe. With the 4spd, you would need the tail shaft seal, and could use the sami slip yoke, i believe. Yota cases work for a crawler only, but doesnt address one that you want to drive on the street.

the 4spd adapter had a yota tail housing, with an adapter to put it on the 4spd, and a coupler for the shafts.

At one point someone also made a divorced kit for a yota

Yep, even jessie haines runs sami cases in his comp buggys on 42s. If suported right with a good spine they shouldnt break. Or you could go full retard and spend atlas money on a case like mine.
Aren't the JHF buggies on portals though?

Aren't the JHF buggies on portals though?

Yup. This one has a 1.6 16V, a TH180 Sammy case and portals. All his buggies since this one have Ecotec engines TF 904’s and D300 based t-cases with portals.

5FB75686-9598-4E12-84AF-891C0520A74E.jpeg

As far as the tcase it's self. I'd like to see a decent track/kick trans to Toyota adapter. Just ditch the stock case and go right to the Toyota stuff, it would fit well and work great with the options for lower gears and/or duals.

You could always go this route. No adapters just a clocking ring. I am putting this 03-72l (90-94.5 montero) behind my Turbo 1.6 16v. If you get a 231 doubler in front you would get 1:1, 2.72:1, 2.62:1, and 7.14:1. These are mechanically shifted so no need for a ECM.

Attachments

• IMG_6466.jpg
    IMG_6466.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6465.jpg
    IMG_6465.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 39
You could always go this route. No adapters just a clocking ring. I am putting this 03-72l (90-94.5 montero) behind my Turbo 1.6 16v. If you get a 231 doubler in front you would get 1:1, 2.72:1, 2.62:1, and 7.14:1. These are mechanically shifted so no need for a ECM.

I remember that option, I had a thread on pbb trying to collect info on all the different "aw4" variations.

Thats actually a better option over all. I may explore that more, but I do just have Toyota cases here.... :laughing: finding D300s seems to have gotten a little tricky.

Go on...

Similar to what I was asking about in the first post - swapping a non-electric trans (AW71) to either utilize the flange output or DIY an adapter...

But if you're saying the 03-72L works to accept the D300...what's stopping the 03-72LE (what I have now) from also accepting the D300? Is it a completely different tailhouse?

Go on...

Similar to what I was asking about in the first post - swapping a non-electric trans (AW71) to either utilize the flange output or DIY an adapter...

But if you're saying the 03-72L works to accept the D300...what's stopping the 03-72LE (what I have now) from also accepting the D300? Is it a completely different tailhouse?

Yes, the goal is the output shaft and tail housing adapter to match up. Apparently the mitzi stuff is the same as jeep round 6 and 23 spline. You could do a black box and basically any tcase.

I should probably just do that and a 205 on my stupid project :laughing:

Yes, the goal is the output shaft and tail housing adapter to match up. Apparently the mitzi stuff is the same as jeep round 6 and 23 spline. You could do a black box and basically any tcase.

I should probably just do that and a 205 on my stupid project :laughing:
Agreed. Just came across your thread from a decade ago on Pirate...:homer:

I'm trying to determine what output shaft and tailhousing bolt pattern my 03-72LE transmission has. Is it the same as the 03-72L? "Jeep round 6"?

If so...can I just pick up a D300...do the driver side flip kit...then be able to run a D44 front that was made in the last decade...?

I'm trying to determine what output shaft and tailhousing bolt pattern my 03-72LE transmission has. Is it the same as the 03-72L? "Jeep round 6"?

If so...can I just pick up a D300...do the driver side flip kit...then be able to run a D44 front that was made in the last decade...?
If its from a sidekick you will need to buy Keith's adaptor to make a 300 work. He builds a custom intermediate shaft that adapts the two and changes to the 6 bolt round pattern. Keith's adaptor adds length compared to using the Montero 03-72l.

Last edited:

No, the stock zuk stuff is no where near a D300

If its from a sidekick you will need to buy Keith's adaptor to make a 300 work. He builds a custom intermediate shaft that adapts the two and changes to the 6 bolt round pattern. Keith's adaptor adds length compared to using the Montero 03-72l.
How do I get in touch with this magical kieth person?

More and more leaning towards a driver drop front axle...

I was thinking there was something about the Montero trans that needed to be changed to use with the zuk engine? Maybe the BH & TC needed to be swapped between them?

06 Zuk 2.3
94 montero trans
Nwf ecobox/d300

Internals of the montero can be swapped into zuk trans to have the correct 23 spline output and still be electronically shifted. Its a pain but possible if you know how to rebuild autos. Montero trans used for mockup and assembled a vitara/montero hybrid. I the end I bought a keith built adapter to bolt a 6 bolt tcase directly to the vitara trans. Now I can use a stock trans and not have to mess with a hybrid. The hybrid vitara/monter trans is similar in idea to what toyota guys do with a jeep aw4 and toy a340. I still have a stock montero trans if anyone wants it.

Attachments

• 20210619_171443.jpg
    20210619_171443.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
06 Zuk 2.3

Nwf ecobox/d300

In the end I bought a keith built adapter to bolt a 6 bolt tcase directly to the vitara trans. Now I can use a stock trans and not have to mess with a hybrid.
Hold on. Can you elaborate on this Keith built adapter? Who/what/where etc? Link? Phone number?

Machines a kick tcase input shaft to act as a coupler between the zuk trans and 23 spline tcase input shaft. machines a billet adapter that bolts to the zuk tcase housing plate shown in the pic. All bolts together. Adds a good bit of length compared to the vitara/montero hybrid or straight montero swap which makes for a simpler/shorter package, but if you have the wb to accommodate the added length its a easier solution.

Attachments

• received_511291133217150.jpeg
    received_511291133217150.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Top Back Refresh