What's new

SD60 Gear Pattern Check

MtnYota

Mean Dad
Member Number
Loc
Ben Lomond, Ca
What would the new forum be without a gear pattern check thread!

Specs
2006 F250 D60 Spicer 5.38 10" gears installed on a yukon grizzly locker

Pinion set with 0.034 shim under the inner pinion bearing race backlash is at 0.007 and the case preload just so that takes a wack or two to get the case in. Pinion preload not set and this is using setup bearings.

Let me know what you guys think.
photo3237.jpg
photo3238.jpg

Last edited:
So I found out that the Spicer gears are face hobbed or "2 cut" gears and that they end up with a different pattern. That is why the drive size pattern appears angled. But I can't seem to find any 2 cut backlash specs for the D60.

I found this page that talks about how the pinion depth and backlash move the pattern around on the 2cut 8.8 gears.:
https://www.diyford.com/ford-axle-ri...ssembly-guide/

Last edited:
Hard to say. The top tooth of the first pic (coast side) seems to be heavily slanted towards a triangle, rather than typical parallelogram that the 2 cut favors.

Drive side seems to straddle between triangle/parallelogram to my eye. What happens if you over-under size the shim (shape wise) ?

These are @ 0.044 pinion shim and 0.006 backlash. This attempt was before I realised they were 2 cut gears. Apparently they like more backlash, but I can't find any specs still.

I kept going shallower with the pinion thinking the hard line on the coast side meant I was too deep like with 5 cut gears, but now I am wondering if the 2cut's show a more defined line and that is a shallow pattern on the coast side. I'll make a couple more attempts tomorrow.

IMG_0400.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG

Here is 0.042 and 0.012" BL
IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0402.JPG

Here is 0.050 and 0.008BL
IMG_0404.JPG
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
IMG_0405.JPG

I think I need to pull the pinion back out a little and tighten the BL a little. Below is what I am basing the corrections on. It seems a little different the adjusting the 5cut gears.

2cut pattern adjustments.png

Here is 0.046 pinion shim and 0.006BL
IMG_0410.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG

Here is 0.044 at 0.008BL

IMG_0414.JPG
IMG_0415.JPG

I'm thinking about running with this last one and trying to tighten the BL up to 0.006 what says the great PBB... or IBB?

I like the last one the best. .046 at .006 bl. You are much more down at the root of the gear where the strentgh is.

Instead of starting a new one, I'll add to this. Its a 44 not a 60 but I figure close enough.
How's this look? They are cheap richmond 5.13s.
What causes the line that I circled. I didn't see that in the first couple patterns I pulled.
InkedDSCN9813_LI.jpg

Top Back Refresh