What's new

SD plates for non residents

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Looking to title my RZR in SD and get plates on it. Local guy in my town that I know has them and said it was pretty painless. He told me he used Union County Treasurer's office in SD. When I called today to get this ball rolling the woman at the office told me they only do them in person now. When I asked her if any other counties around did phone/mail still she didn't know.

Does anyone have an info or experience with another county in SD on doing this? I didn't really want to just start calling each county treasury office to see but I guess I can.

Poke would be the one to ask about this. He has an X3 that he drives on the street doing something similar to what your wanting to do.

Go Montana and not SD. Much better.

Reactions: PAE
I’m busy now, I’ll give you all the info later

Go Montana and not SD. Much better.
I have a friend that has a Montana LLC for his two RZRs. he has plates for the 4 seater but never runs them.

Front my reading on google searches--I thought the Montana required an LLC that needed to be filed locally with the state and then kept up legally. I am kinda ignorant on the legaleeze of this so if i have it wrong someone correct me.

I have a friend that has a Montana LLC for his two RZRs. he has plates for the 4 seater but never runs them.

Front my reading on google searches--I thought the Montana required an LLC that needed to be filed locally with the state and then kept up legally. I am kinda ignorant on the legaleeze of this so if i have it wrong someone correct me.
He’s correct but it’s stupid easy.

call a Resident Agent. Most use LLCTLC. I can hook you up. A resident agent is what companies, pretty much all of them, use to file out of state taxes. To file taxes in a state you need an address, a resident agent is like a service that gives you an address. It’s easy and normal stuff.

the Montana resident agent creates the LLC, applies for the titles, gets you the registration, forwards you mail.

Montana is a one time tax form state. So you get one tax form ever, check the box that says “asset holding company” and they know that you will never conduct business and as such have no taxes to file, so they don’t bug you. They know people just use them because they are easy.

its a life time one time plate, no renewal.

Montana does not require a LLC just a document they offer with you saying the name its titled in is a trust.

Montana does not require a LLC just a document they offer with you saying the name its titled in is a trust.
Please explain. I haven’t heard that.

He’s correct but it’s stupid easy.

call a Resident Agent. Most use LLCTLC. I can hook you up. A resident agent is what companies, pretty much all of them, use to file out of state taxes. To file taxes in a state you need an address, a resident agent is like a service that gives you an address. It’s easy and normal stuff.

the Montana resident agent creates the LLC, applies for the titles, gets you the registration, forwards you mail.

Montana is a one time tax form state. So you get one tax form ever, check the box that says “asset holding company” and they know that you will never conduct business and as such have no taxes to file, so they don’t bug you. They know people just use them because they are easy.

its a life time one time plate, no renewal.

So I assume you pay the resident agent a fee for set up and a yearly fee for maintaining an address? What are the costs for this? You would change the title to Montana first?

So I assume you pay the resident agent a fee for set up and a yearly fee for maintaining an address? What are the costs for this? You would change the title to Montana first?
They do it all. Yes. $80 a year maybe?

upfront isn’t much for set up. $650 maybe.

Sorry for the gay question, but…for how does this work in real life, when park ranger or highway patrol stops you. Do they not care that you are licensed out of state?

I know CA is retarded but we cant be the only state with a law that requires licensing with a specific time from moving into the state. I’m not sure, but guessing I’d at least get a ‘fix it’ ticket when my driver license says CA but my truck says MT?

I have thought about playing the ticket lottery by using my brothers address in Nebraska. Fucking DMV wants $500 to register my 9 year old truck :mad3:

You didnt read my post accurately, I dont have a license, so no mismatch

Not sure on the sxs but my car is registered in south dakota and I dealt with [email protected] she was awesome and answered all my questions via email and mailed it off and she called and I paid over the phone. I know a friend has his rzr registered there and used her for that but it was a while ago so no idea on how that would work currently.

So I called Lawrence County Treasurer's office in Deadwood and talked with Heather. She answered all of my questions. MO doesn't title SXS to the best of my knowledge. They didn't 3 years ago when I bought mine anyway. They are kind of a gray area here being AG use apparently.

Ramble off:

They told me I needed to send my original MSO, application for title, copy of my bill of sale, copy of my DL, copy of my SS card, and affadavit for OHV use. Since mine is under ag use in MO I wasn't required to pay sales tax on it here. SD does require a sales tax receipt or you need to pay 4% sales tax on the purchase price. $10 title fee + $10 lien fee if you have a lien on the vehicle + $39 registration/plate. Registration is yearly and they will send a renewal notice in the mail.

all of the forms are on the county website below:
Lawrence County Treasurer's office

I used my home address in South Dakota My Home Address, INC, I looked at the Montana option , it turned out the South Dakota option was easier to get insurance- for an 89 YJ in California to get around the smog laws

So I called Lawrence County Treasurer's office in Deadwood and talked with Heather. She answered all of my questions. MO doesn't title SXS to the best of my knowledge. They didn't 3 years ago when I bought mine anyway. They are kind of a gray area here being AG use apparently.

Ramble off:

They told me I needed to send my original MSO, application for title, copy of my bill of sale, copy of my DL, copy of my SS card, and affadavit for OHV use. Since mine is under ag use in MO I wasn't required to pay sales tax on it here. SD does require a sales tax receipt or you need to pay 4% sales tax on the purchase price. $10 title fee + $10 lien fee if you have a lien on the vehicle + $39 registration/plate. Registration is yearly and they will send a renewal notice in the mail.

all of the forms are on the county website below:
Lawrence County Treasurer's office
that's cool when someone is actually helpful!

no there is not.

So how do you handle "proof of insurance"?

Sorry for the gay question, but…for how does this work in real life, when park ranger or highway patrol stops you. Do they not care that you are licensed out of state?

I know CA is retarded but we cant be the only state with a law that requires licensing with a specific time from moving into the state. I’m not sure, but guessing I’d at least get a ‘fix it’ ticket when my driver license says CA but my truck says MT?

I think you could say this vehical is registered to your summer house. That's where you usually keep it. As long as you have another car registered in the state of your license that they can look up.. I don't think the law says you have to register everything you own.

The other option is, if you have it registered to a LLC, then it's not necessarily yours. Like a company truck from another state. I don't know that a cop can determine who owns a LLC. I see u-haul trucks all over Florida with out of state plates.

I ment, do you send your insurance card to the resident agent?
Why would anyone do that ?

The resident agent does not care only the treasurer's office / state cares.

Why would anyone do that ?

The resident agent does not care only the treasurer's office / state cares.
If the state requires proof and the resident agent is handling it for you, he might need it.

If the state requires proof and the resident agent is handling it for you, he might need it.
From what I recall the insurance company provides POI directly to the state ( Montana that is ) dont know about South Dakota.

That's one reason it can be done without a resident agent, and just an mail forwarding company if you choose to use one or not at all if your mailing address is in a neighboring state.

Dont know if this is common knowledge but there can be more than one address on the cert of title and or registration document.

Dont know if this is common knowledge but there can be more than one address on the cert of title and or registration document.

Never heard of that. Two addresses in the same state or can it be a differnt state?

Top Back Refresh