What's new

Scout scopes. Do they suck?

Aisin

Grumpy old fuck
Member Number
I have zero experience with them. I know there are not many out there. I am currently looking at the Burris 2-7. Does anyone have any insight on these things? Drink bleach? Step on a Claymore?:flipoff2:

Couple of friends have had them and I tried them. Do not like them anywhere near as much as a conventional scope setup. There were on ruger scout rifles. At least one of them switched to a conventional scope from the scout setup.
I think with the lpvo on the market today they have faded out of whatever fashion they might have been in.

Mine happened to be right beside me. Set it up close to 20 years ago now. Just 1x Leupold. I love it. Most of our shooting is less than 100 yards. Whittled the old Mohawk stock down so it points more like a shotgun.
Scout.jpg

Mine happened to be right beside me. Set it up close to 20 years ago now. Just 1x Leupold. I love it. Most of our shooting is less than 100 yards. Whittled the old Mohawk stock down so it points more like a shotgun.
Scout.jpg

I bet that thing is fast to get on target! I like it, what mount is that?

I dig the concept, and have shopped for them off and on. Nowadays it's tough to find an optic that's decent, reasonably priced, and works well for a Scout setup.

If anyone knows better I'm all ears. My dumb SKS build needs one.

It is quick. Both eyes open. It's a weaver base blank a buddy machined to match the barrel contour.
Gotcha, I have one of those lil 600's in a 350 mag. Fucker moves enough that having the scope be waaaaaay up front, wouldnt be a bad thing

A 1X Leupold? What's the advantages of that over a much smaller and lighter red dot (closed or open emitter)?

That would be a good candidate. That one have the square fore end too. I took about a cord of wood off this one.

Yup, that square sorta laminated stock they had back then. Somebody removed the ventilated rib at some point.

Need to reshape the thing, or might just sell it an get one that fits me a lil better. I dig the caliber though, 250's @2,475 fps is just cool

I prefer a crosshair to a dot, also never really had a need for illumination.

Yup, there's certainly that and I get it. Auto adjust red dots have trouble shooting into the bright from shade and vice versa.
The ones with shake awake and auto shut down makes them pretty hands off. I get the arguments against an open emitter but man, you only have to get kind of into position and the dot is right there. Very fast target acquisition.

My 22 slide for the 1911 has a dot on it, its badass

On my AR's, one has a dot, one a 1-6x, and two have 3-9's. And yea a dot is very fast. I seem to always turn the brightness down trying to get the dot as small as possible, which defeats the entire purpose of the damn thing lol. That 1-6x turned down low was pretty damn fast, I need to find a slimmer version though as that thing is just a tank of a scope. The 2 with 3-9's get used the most, rarely ever have them turned up above 4x

my 600 has a 2.5-8x on it, it stays on 2.5x

A 1X Leupold? What's the advantages of that over a much smaller and lighter red dot (closed or open emitter)?
Back then we had red dots but at distance the dot would be huge compared to a crosshair. With that scope you could bag it and still shoot 1" groups at 100yds. Pretty sure my eyes can't do that anymore and don't think you can pull that off with even modern dots.

That thing is screaming for a scout scope. I don't have any experience with the variables but I can see where cranking it up would allow longer range accuracy.

I have that same scope on my hunting gun. I absolutely love it. My dad hates it. It's so fast on target and both eyes open.

One thing I’ve heard is that optic mount clamped around the barrel fucks up accuracy.

Usually don't like the socoms, but with the suppressor that is a nice package.
A forward mounted red dot would work and be the most economical.

Usually don't like the socoms, but with the suppressor that is a nice package.
A forward mounted red dot would work and be the most economical.
I ran a prism on it for a bit. I want magnification.

Several years ago I went on a kick into scout scopes. Ended up with one on a 30/30 that I wanted setup for quick shots where I was deer hunting at the time. Like most things, I haven’t ever hunted with it. :homer:

Several years ago I went on a kick into scout scopes. Ended up with one on a 30/30 that I wanted setup for quick shots where I was deer hunting at the time. Like most things, I haven’t ever hunted with it. :homer:
Unused 30-30? Send it to me!

No chance. It has a XS rail system (rail, ghost ring, and front post) that I mounted the scope on. Shoots really well for what it is.
My brother has one that doesn’t ever get shot. I offered to buy it but unfortunately he’s a fag.

I put the Burris 2-7x32 scout on my .45-70 after the GF got scoped and knocked on her ass. I had been eyeing them anyway, but that was enough of an excuse to replace the $120 Nikon that had been on it. Told her I bought it just for her.

At 2x, its fast on target with both eyes open, and 7x is more than enough for the useable range of an 18" guide gun shooting rainbows. No problems holding zero after 150-200 rounds of pretty damn warm handloads. It's my first experience with scout scopes, and I like it a lot for this application.

FWIW, I paid $311 for it on 12/21/21 from BattleHawk Armory

Top Back Refresh