What's new

School me on weed eaters

ProjectTwin

Member Number
We've got 3 1/2 acres. Have a bit that needs trimming. Fence line, trees, pond banks...

Currently only have the 20V DeWalt I bought when we were in a neighborhood in VA and I didn't have much to trim.

What brands are worth a shit these days? I'd like to be able to swap a pole saw attachment on for some tree trimming or swap an edger onto the thing.

E9B17526-159A-49A6-890E-D45A118024D3.jpeg
You need to get a walk behind weedeater if you’re doing all that

Last edited:
Anything with a harness and handle bars. I love my Stihl FS 110. 5 acres here

Got Goats?
Brush-clearing goats can convert your unwanted plants into valuable milk, meat and manure. The goat owner keeps the meat and milk, but the manure stays on your land, enriching it for whatever you want to plant next.

Goats are a beneficial land clearing tool. They are an eco-friendly option to herbicides. And, they cost about 50% less than hiring labor and renting machinery.

https://www.gardeningchannel.com/goa...to-rent-goats/

Not to be confused with sheep...

photo11927.jpg

I dont care for the bump thingy that supposedly extends the line out when it gets too short.

I found and use the piece where the line is threaded in.

I owned goats for 10 years and it did work but you are bound to the property same as having other pets i suppose.

Anything with a harness and handle bars. I love my Stihl FS 110. 5 acres here

This, get a Stihl or other name brand from an actual equipment sales place, not a box store. Most of the more commercial trimmers seem heavy but they are really balanced and nice to use.

This, get a Stihl or other name brand from an actual equipment sales place, not a box store. Most of the more commercial trimmers seem heavy but they are really balanced and nice to use.

Good points here, also, the stihl attachments rock. Blades, edgers and saws etc. Can all run off the base unit if it is a 2 pc shaft

argh!!!.. can't remember what I have.. all I remember is you attach little pieces of cords (very easily) to the spinning thing in front... and there are no front wheels.. it's great for cutting buffalo grass, without worrying about breakin one of the tractors.. it just takes a while, and you can't cut through baby mesquite plants once they have aged to a certain thickness.. you end up replacing them over and over for every rock.. I have heard there are replacement attachments that are much stronger..

we (my dad and I) got it at Lowes.. for a decent price..

I might call him tomorrow if I can't remember on my own, I just called him 10 minutes ago, so I dont wanna call him again.. right now..

Still fs560 forestry clearing saw. I've used a ton of other high dollar machines and nothing comes close. Will go through thick 1" saplings just above idle and never slow down. I think it's just under 5hp. I run a walk behind string trimmer head and 3-4ft of .175 line depending on what I'm cutting . And since you already have the dewalt stuff grab the pole saw. It will cut until your sore from using it on 1 batterey. Probably 40 or so 4" limbs.

20200630_195618.jpg

20200630_195628.jpg

20200630_195637.jpg

As far as line goes, if line tickles your pickle, I prefer Husqvarna titanium force in the largest size your head will fit. Tough stuff

I had heavier brush to deal with, that would eat up string line.

I replaced the string head with a solid blade toothed attachment. Soooo much easier to work with. I don't bother string line any more....I even trim grass with it if need be.

I have the M18 MilFawkee. It works awesome, and I can honestly say that the feed unit works way better than expected. I have had Echo and Stihl this works better. Quiet, smooth, always starts, Hands down I was a convert of battery over gas after buying it.

We have a couple Shindaiwa headgear trimmers at work that have heals up well to abuse. They are made by Echo. No Maruyama dealers near enough to me to seriously consider trying one. I have read they don’t take abuse as well as STIHL.

Still fs560 forestry clearing saw. I've used a ton of other high dollar machines and nothing comes close. Will go through thick 1" saplings just above idle and never slow down. I think it's just under 5hp. I run a walk behind string trimmer head and 3-4ft of .175 line depending on what I'm cutting . And since you already have the dewalt stuff grab the pole saw. It will cut until your sore from using it on 1 batterey. Probably 40 or so 4" limbs.

I have used the FS450 for years with a 9" blade to cut brush and saplings around 2" as fast as you swing it.

what trimmer head do you use for grass?
I like the idea of a heavy duty walk behind head on it as it kills anything it get close to

Last edited:
. And since you already have the dewalt stuff grab the pole saw. It will cut until your sore from using it on 1 batterey. Probably 40 or so 4" limbs.

I have a craftsmen pole saw.. same battery as one of my chainsaws.. I heard last week that in some cities Sears is sellin batteries for 1/2 price.. might search that right now..(( Edit: couldnt find anything, but maybe its knowing what to type in the search bar?? ))

Last edited:

the best weed eater there is!

i've got 3acres its all park like, grass and cedar trees. weed killer and a m18 weed trimmer is all i use. i mow with a 3pt 6ft finish mower. it took a little bit to make it work this way but now i spend less than a hr a week on all yard maintenance.

As far as line goes, if line tickles your pickle, I prefer Husqvarna titanium force in the largest size your head will fit. Tough stuff

Really? I currently have that stuff and am not really that impressed with it. Gonna try Twisted line.

With the "these days" part I'm out. But I do have a 10+ year old string trimmer that fires on a couple pulls and is now my daughter's :laughing:

It's a stihl and still works like a champ.

Any big boy Stihl or Echo will do you just fine. Get something with handlebars and harness like backchat mentioned, D handles are for trimming lawns not clearing land. Stihl KM line and Echo PAS will both give you the string trimmer/pole saw with the same power-head if you want that.

My old man has 5 acres, he trims about half of it. He ran an FS65AV for 20 years or so, when it died he replaced it with an FS110 and it'll probably be the last string trimmer he buys.

Hit your local classifieds, if they're anything like here OfferUp is chock full of landscapers offloading their old gear and you can get into a pro grade Stihl or Echo for 1/4 the cost of new.

I switched from a lower end echo pas system to a Stihl km111. I like the Stihl much better. Easy to start. Plenty of power. You can buy the brush cutter and string head and get basically 2 tools. I went with a speed feed head and really like it. Spools really quickly.

Got Goats?
Brush-clearing goats can convert your unwanted plants into valuable milk, meat and manure. The goat owner keeps the meat and milk, but the manure stays on your land, enriching it for whatever you want to plant next.

Goats are a beneficial land clearing tool. They are an eco-friendly option to herbicides. And, they cost about 50% less than hiring labor and renting machinery.

https://www.gardeningchannel.com/goa...to-rent-goats/

Not to be confused with sheep...

Goats aren't an option here.

104180472_10207981126323283_2227228524651753796_o.jpg

Really? I currently have that stuff and am not really that impressed with it. Gonna try Twisted line.

I guess it depends on where you expect your performance. I have done twisted line, and although it cuts like a hot knife, it seemed to use a lit of line. The titanium force doesn't cut as well, but wears like iron and doesn't seem to mind working against curbs or rr ties like the twisted stuff does.

Top Back Refresh