What's new

School me on Wagyu beef

Wheelerfreak

Chronically stupid
Member Number
Loc
Near TA, NM, out in BFE
We are looking to try some Wagyu and there are no options remotely near us to sit down and eat some, so thinking of ordering some. Costco has a 4 pack of Wagyu from Kagoshima, 4, 12oz NY strips for $399. Crowd Cow was another online, more expensive even than that. I don't want to waste that kind of money on a former race horse masquerading as Wagyu, anybody have any experiences with buying it online?

I will not be putting ketchup on it.:flipoff2:

spend the money to get it from japan, otherwise, it is just an overfed cow :flipoff2:

we have a local place out here that raises "wagyu", maybe there is a small farm nearer you that also raises high fat cow?

We got some on our anniversary at a famou$ $teakhou$e, grade A from Japan, I'll never get it again. It tasted like an amazing steak, but it chewed like taco bell ground beef. Too awkward to pay that much for. I'd search out a 45-60 day dry aged ribeye for something special

We are looking to try some Wagyu and there are no options remotely near us to sit down and eat some, so thinking of ordering some. Costco has a 4 pack of Wagyu from Kagoshima, 4, 12oz NY strips for $399. Crowd Cow was another online, more expensive even than that. I don't want to waste that kind of money on a former race horse masquerading as Wagyu, anybody have any experiences with buying it online?

I will not be putting ketchup on it.:flipoff2:

Take a look at www.allenbrothers.com

I've ordered plenty from them and yet to be disappointed , great variety of meats.

We got some on our anniversary at a famou$ $teakhou$e, grade A from Japan, I'll never get it again. It tasted like an amazing steak, but it chewed like taco bell ground beef. Too awkward to pay that much for. I'd search out a 45-60 day dry aged ribeye for something special

your's got fucked up then. it should dissolve in the mouth and not have anything to chew.

Look up snake river farms on the internets. We use their gold grade waygu brisket for bbq competitions. Their steaks look amazing on the website.

You know how I know I'm white trash?

Because I see $100+/lb steak as identical to gold toilet handles- not even something I aspire to, just a silly waste.

Y'all are crazy..
The beef I had slaughtered has amazing ribeyes. It ended up costing me less than $10 per pound, probably closer to $5. Don't remember.

I'd definitely eat the wagyu-tang but I definitely ain't buying it.

Rich fuckers:flipoff2:

Since beef prices are shit right now, were going to butcher one of the yearlings. Been feedin that sucker grain in a pin for a couple weeks. Fatten up you tasty bastard!

Had Kobe filets a few years ago. Gotta say it was incredible. Opposite direction the last couple years. We've been getting halves of Scottish Highlands. They are lean but have awesome flavor. Kind of funny, hanging weight on a whole is just over 500#. All the steaks are portion controlled from the factory:laughing:. 5 bucks a pound wrapped is hard to beat.

I love good food, but I've never been one for fine dining. Sorry, just not paying three digits for a plate of turd fuel. To each their own though. I don't judge people who enjoy it. We all spend money on shit a lot of other people see as dumb.

I've thought about it... local cajun meat market has wagyu ribeyes for $75. I want to try one, but it would only be a one time deal, and I'm scared it would be so good i wouldn't want to go back to "regular" steaks. :laughing:

I've thought about it... local cajun meat market has wagyu ribeyes for $75. I want to try one, but it would only be a one time deal, and I'm scared it would be so good i wouldn't want to go back to "regular" steaks. :laughing:

i've managed to keep my consumption to business dinners only. if i started booked it at home i'd be poor again.

I love good food, but I've never been one for fine dining. Sorry, just not paying three digits for a plate of turd fuel. To each their own though. I don't judge people who enjoy it. We all spend money on shit a lot of other people see as dumb.

I love good food as well, and I've thought about a 'sampler' of true Wagyu. There are only 2 locations in the US which are 'licensed' to serve Jap Wagyu beef, and both of them offered a sample of the stuff the last time I looked. You can also go to Japan and there are places that will cut and fry it piece by piece for you. I would do that. I'm not spending $400 for a plate of food unless I'm an 8-figure-onaire.

Swanky restaurants in the US offer a 'chef's selection' for people like us. That once in a lifetime opportunity to sample the really great stuff at a cheap(er) price. I mean, I love caviar but I can't see spending the $$ for true beluga or whatever.

I love goddamned sushi and sashimi with all my heart but I can't see paying top $$ for it when a good local place can do it for $30.

One neat business strategy I picked up from a successful businessman: Food is a luxury that people can afford, and in an economic downturn, specialty food items do well. Instead of a new TV or pool, people will pull back and spend their Luxury dollars on food. It's a good biz to be in right now.

Have you ever had $40 tinned sardines? They are fucking worth it.

London broil all up in this bitch. :laughing:

My dad has been crossing Wagyu with his mostly Simmental cattle since visiting Japan on an Ag leadership tour in the early '90s and trying Kobe.

While Kobe is a whole process, the genetics of the Wagyu do provide for a unique muscle with more itramuscular fat (marbling) than most of the typical European breeds.

In short they are tasty!

My folks have been selling freezer beef for several years now. They currently can't meet the demand, thanks to the pandemic hording emptying grocery store shelves.

Local butcher has wagyu ribeye for $17.99 lb...
Been thinking about giving it a try!!!!

who wants to know the secret behind "waygu" beef raised in the USA?

You know how I know I'm white trash?

Because I see $100+/lb steak as identical to gold toilet handles- not even something I aspire to, just a silly waste.

Yup. I can slap a $9.00 chuck roast on the smoker for 6 hours and end up some white trash brisket that is to die for.

Top Back Refresh