What's new

School me on hybrid 231 t cases.

Trashman

Trainwreck
Member Number
Looks like the 231 case I have in my 94 S10 may have a funky front output.

I believe I have read I can take a Jeep 231 front output shaft and swap that in?

I havent pulled the front shaft yet. It looks like some funky CV setup similar to a CV front axleshaft. Im assuming it slips on and that is it since the front axle doesnt move. There MIGHT be a threaded center so I could bolt a yoke on???? That may be nice.

S10 has a stupid 5 bolt, instead of 6. Bolt pattern.

What's your goal here?

I understand the bolt pattern to trans. So I need to use my 231 outter case.

I am concerned that the front output shaft wont hook up to a standard type driveshaft.

I am doing an sas currently, so I need a new front shaft that can have more movement.

To get rid of the shitty front output shaft.

231 from jeeps y/t/x j's.
There was a wide and narrow chian and you just had to match.

There is also dodge 1500/dakota/durango 94/02 to pick from.

I read the Chevys and maybe Dodges have the wide chain. I am unsure if the S10 has the wide chain or narrow.

Maybe swap to a 241? For now I am keeping the 4.3/3500 combo.

Im guessing this is the style of output shaft I have (not a 231 shown im sure mines basically the same)
Screenshot_20221030-174901_Facebook.jpg

If you swap to a 241 it may not shift out of first gear when you pull it back into 4Low.

if your t-case is the same as the pic above (looks like a 233c) a 231J or 231D front output shaft will fit in that case but the chevy one uses a different seal and bearing than the other 2. i used a 231d front shaft with a flanged output from a durango and it rubbed the electronic shifter until they eventually clearanced themselves. i picked the dodge style output because i already have a couple front driveshafts with dodge flange bolt pattern on the t-case side. also chain width seems to be a crapshoot, i have 3 233c all from 97 trucks, 2 have wide chains and 4 pinion planet and 1 have narrow chain and 3 pinion planet

Mine is a 231. The photo was just a stock photo of what I probably have for a front output.

Can I take a Jeep 231, and just swap the front case half?

Top Back Refresh